• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new control arm issue....

holy crap, why would you do that?

disturbing.

on a different note, i ran into a guy who had some brand new "traction bars" basically 2 30" long control arms... ive got 4 brand new johnny joints sittin around, what do you think about hacking off the bushing ends, threading the tubing, and welding in the jj's... what else would be needed, a new crossmember with mounting points tied in... or should i scrap the idea??

needtofinishmyrig said:
disturbing.

on a different note, i ran into a guy who had some brand new "traction bars" basically 2 30" long control arms... ive got 4 brand new johnny joints sittin around, what do you think about hacking off the bushing ends, threading the tubing, and welding in the jj's... what else would be needed, a new crossmember with mounting points tied in... or should i scrap the idea??

in response to your hijack, there's a lot more to a long arm setup than just "long arms." the dynamics and kinematics of it are very critical. unless you do a complete analysis, it will probably work like crap. do some searching if you're really interested. check out the fab section. i know a handfull of people on here that have made or are in the process of making a custom long arm setup, but they all started by doing their background investigation.

asp387 said:
in response to your hijack, there's a lot more to a long arm setup than just "long arms." the dynamics and kinematics of it are very critical. unless you do a complete analysis, it will probably work like crap. do some searching if you're really interested. check out the fab section. i know a handfull of people on here that have made or are in the process of making a custom long arm setup, but they all started by doing their background investigation.

i appreciate your response, i wasnt so much concerned with the geometry of the system, more of whether or not these "traction arms" would function well and hold up to a beating. i know not all control arms are built equally, but if they were built to lift a ford or chevy, they should be plenty beefy for my application right???

GauchoMD said:
Oh, thats a weld?!?!?? I though it was black bubblegum holding it together...

Same difference (strength wise) :)

I should add, specifically, taken away, and given to me. Someone who will use it properly.

jeepxj91' said:
well i finally got the control arm project done here are some of the finishing shots....

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

:puke:

Back