• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Break lines now Im rubbin

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed the chevy break lines on my XJ with about 6 inches of lift, I had been running stock break lines for a long time and was finally able to change them out. Did some searching and found that the chevy lines were a good subsitute for extended break lines.

Got them installed and now they are rubbing the tire. I have the metal part of the line that attaches to the caliper faceing the rear. I am looking for some ideas to get the line away from the tire. Dont know if moving the body mount might help or changing how the caliper end is bolted on or pulling some slack out of the body mount. Here's what Im working with
breaks006.jpg

breaks008.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same lines mounted with the metal bracket staight up and down. The bracket is mount 2-3 inches forward and 1-2 inches down from the original location. No rubbing on mine. I would give you exact measurements but theres more than one set of holes there and I'm not sure which ones are original.

I just used a small bungee cord on it and it works great, has plenty of stretch when flexing and it keeps them off tie tires and shocks. I just hooked it on a hole in the upper wheel well and then on to the line with a few zip ties holding to the line in case it came unhooked.
DSCN2607.jpg

this one is side ways but it shows it a bit better.

DSCN2560.jpg

You just need to put some twist in the lines!

forget the bungees & zip ties, move the brackets. Remember home made is not the same as owner fabricated.It should look like it was made,not cobbed up. This is a 10 minute fix that looks factory.

Putting a twist in the lines is very bad because it stresses the lines once the stretch out to flex. As far as cobbed up there is nothing that looks wrong with my lines and i actually got the idea from a guy on hear a few years ago and it works great.

I agree, twisting the flex line is not good.I left it off my list of methods because I assumed most people would know better.If you think those bungees look cool with your otherwise nice suspension it's o.k. with me,but personally I like the factory look AND they don't rub on my shocks. It seems like it was pretty good use of 10 minutes of my time and my bungees can stay on my 1200 bandit where they belong!!:cheers:

Zip-ties has worked fine for me and not sure about that home made comment...I don't care what my brake lines *look* like. With 28" lines and long arms there's not much else to do. It won't stretch the line or put stress on it if you're using a bottom can shock. Just tie the line at the can and leave the slack at the top.

rotate them 90 degrees in the caliper

had a buddy who ran them like you and they rubbed the tire, he wasnt the smartest and thought it would be fine, 150 miles later at 70 mph he blew out a brake hose

homebrew said:
I just installed the chevy break lines on my XJ with about 6 inches of lift, I had been running stock break lines for a long time and was finally able to change them out. Did some searching and found that the chevy lines were a good subsitute for extended break lines.

Got them installed and now they are rubbing the tire. I have the metal part of the line that attaches to the caliper faceing the rear. I am looking for some ideas to get the line away from the tire. Dont know if moving the body mount might help or changing how the caliper end is bolted on or pulling some slack out of the body mount. Here's what Im working with

First, move the hard mount for the line a couple inches forward and try to get it behind the shock. That will clear up most the rubbing. 2nd, do the bungie cord thing. Look at Kevin's Saturday at the picnic.

Back