• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New-B from Michigan rebuild

Heatsoak

mac 'crappy running jeep after being shut off for a short time' gyvr

Maybe I need to do this to mine. We have that same problem.

Where did you get the foil from Sardog1?

I got mine from amazon... $12 bucks and change free shipping with amazon.

mac 'the LJ is worse than an XJ I've had' gyvr

I did the heat wrap on injectors, did very little. What did help was hood vents then the electric fan override, 5 post relay, toggle switch and painless thermostat switch.

Making some progress on the engine bay today. Also painted one bracket and the fuel rail.

Thanks everyone for the interesting banter that was hiding the fact that I didn't do anything on the Jeep all week!

evu3enus.jpg

u8a2y7us.jpg

uhybepe5.jpg

I did the heat wrap on injectors, did very little. What did help was hood vents then the electric fan override, 5 post relay, toggle switch and painless thermostat switch.

the heatsoak is the reason I wired the dirtbound fans to run after shutdown.

I like the time you're spending on the bay. I didn't have the time, or energy, to do this to mine. In hindsight, it's all pretty covered in red Moab mud.

Thanks Fore Wheeler! I keep defaulting to this being a restoration project because that's my style. I have to keep reminding myself that this will be a daily driver and not go crazy fixing every last little thing. It's a balancing act because I'm putting in an engine with zero miles so I really would like the rest of the vehicle to last as long as the engine will...but then again, we're from Michigan so fat chance! I'll have a good engine to put into another project some day!

Made some good progress towards things going back together this weekend. Replaced all of the hard brake lines from the MC to the flex lines because they were all rusty. Starting to bring the wiring back into the engine bay, which IMHO makes it look kinda ugly but oh well. Also got new wheels and tires from CL. Much happier with these wheels. I didn't much care for the snow flake wheels. Almost ready to set the engine back into the bay so that I can mock up and weld together a temporary exhaust system for when she's ready to run.
u2uvybug.jpg

bajezyha.jpg

gu9upara.jpg

y5aquze6.jpg

Thanks Fore Wheeler! I keep defaulting to this being a restoration project because that's my style. I have to keep reminding myself that this will be a daily driver and not go crazy fixing every last little thing. It's a balancing act because I'm putting in an engine with zero miles so I really would like the rest of the vehicle to last as long as the engine will...but then again, we're from Michigan so fat chance! I'll have a good engine to put into another project some day!

it makes sense though... how often do you get to stand in the engine bay? best time to take care of ANY issues, regardless of size. but it is very easy to get carried away, eh?

"this side is whiter than that side!? sand blast it all to bare metal!"

VA you read my mind! Small amounts of color mismatch and overspray within the engine bay do NOT matter! Yeah, yeah, that's all I have to keep telling myself!

Progress progress. Had the engine sitting in it's home for a short while this weekend. Had to put it in so that I could mock up and fab a temporary exhaust system. Chopped up my 2000 system and welded the '97 down pipe that attaches to this exhaust. Not the sweetest looking creation but allows me to have the O2 sensors in the right spot when I first get it running. Also went to the local mom and pop auto parts store and had them make me up some 2 gauge wires to replace the stock battery/starter/alternator wires. Love how they turned out. Also love local mom and pop places. Can't get craftsmanship like that from Autozone.
uqamutaz.jpg

esetadyp.jpg

u9e4y8ug.jpg

Moving forward step by step. Engine is sitting in the bay for good this time. Starting to put all the pieces together. I still need to extend the wires to reach my new coil, so that harness is out on the workbench for now.

I decided on the 136A alternator so I had to do a little grinding on the mounting bracket. Original plan was to get the 160A but after I saw the price difference I thought better of it. Apparently they are kind of rare in these parts. Just for reference, when people say, "Use the one out of the V8 Durango" they mean out of the 5.9L 2001-2003 Durango not the 4.7L version. 4.7L has a completely different case and mounting set up. 136A is the base version on the 5.9L and 160A was an optional upgrade, hence the rarity I guess.

Trans oil cooler, plug wires and injectors are on order and should show up this week. Might have it running by Memorial Day! That's the plan anyway, lots to do by them so we'll see. Getting close though!

Temporary Exhaust:
2014-05-05172358_zps7e521809.jpg

Grinding on bracket for 136A Alternator:
2014-05-18084227_zps8500317f.jpg

Engine at home!
2014-05-18102234_zps3854f48c.jpg

AND SHE RUNS!!!!!!!!!:party:

After a long day on Saturday I finally got the chance to fire it up. I called the family out to have them witness the initial firing. It was so uneventful that my kids were looking at me like, "Why did you call us out here to watch you start a car?!" But for me it was sweet ringing in my ears. I'm happy to report that oil pressure came right up to 50-60 psi and within a relatively short time the water temp reached 210 and hung there. No drips, no runs, no errors! I backed it out of the barn and gave it a spin around the back yard and boy was it fun.

The only hang up for the day was that my temporary exhaust downtube left the O2 sensor directly above the front axle pinion. Just so everyone knows, it takes about 3 good whacks from an axle pinion to make an O2 sensor stop working...in case you were curious. No problem though because I ordered new pipes from Quadratec and they showed up today! I should have the new pipes installed by Saturday.

Only thing left to do is finish rewiring the headlights and then put the header panel back on. She should be on the road shortly!!!!!!

Back