• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New-B from Michigan rebuild

Got to spend some time in the barn yesterday. Made a little progress stripping the engine bay. Working on getting access to all of the sheet metal. I'm planning on cleaning up all the rust spots and re-painting the engine bay. I can't stand the thought of putting a brand new engine into a dirty engine bay. Here's how far I got last night:

2014-03-28201404_zps96649e58.jpg

2014-03-28201523_zps385d6e3d.jpg

2014-03-28201535_zpsd58adb35.jpg

Finally a beautiful day here in Michigan! :sunshine: Was able to get the hose out and get to cleaning. I'm happy with how clean it has come so far. Now to work on these rust spots.

2014-03-30132222_zps6b3a31ef.jpg

2014-03-30125531_zps989d2dbf.jpg

2014-03-30125447_zps5b61b507.jpg

2014-03-30125459_zps1c8ed9a8.jpg

Making some progress today. Intake and exhaust are done. Primed the inside of the engine bay, various brackets and the fuel rail. Almost ready to start putting things back together. Maybe within a week or so.
umyjuju6.jpg

a7u9uzyr.jpg

ynapyvuv.jpg

eduny4uj.jpg

u5avyju9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you are doing a great job Innojazz!

Do yourself a favor before installing the injectors. Besides new o-rings, pick up some heat sleeving to cover the injectors. This should eliminate the "heat soak" issues many XJ owners experience (the engine re-starts and runs like crap after a short trip, sometimes get the check engine light to come on for # 3 cylinder misfire). This cured the problem for my XJ and WJ. There is enough in the package below to take care of two vehicles. Just cut to approximate length of injector and cut a notch out to accommodate the electrical connection. If it takes you more than 10 minutes to tackle this, you're goofing off!

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...aluminized-sleeving-3-4-x-3-010403/16120024-P

Also, there was a debris shield recall. I picked one up at the local dealership for around $6.00. Don't recall the part number, but here is the recall notice.

http://www.chrysler.com/universal/webselfservice/pdf/B06.pdf

Do yourself a favor before installing the injectors. Besides new o-rings, pick up some heat sleeving to cover the injectors. This should eliminate the "heat soak" issues many XJ owners experience (the engine re-starts and runs like crap after a short trip, sometimes get the check engine light to come on for # 3 cylinder misfire). This cured the problem for my XJ and WJ. There is enough in the package below to take care of two vehicles. Just cut to approximate length of injector and cut a notch out to accommodate the electrical connection. If it takes you more than 10 minutes to tackle this, you're goofing off!

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...aluminized-sleeving-3-4-x-3-010403/16120024-P

Also, there was a debris shield recall. I picked one up at the local dealership for around $6.00. Don't recall the part number, but here is the recall notice.

Not wanting to derail, but I have an awful heat soak issue with my LJ, worse than my 95 XJ. Do you put that stuff all the way around the injector or just between the injector and the intake? How do you attach it? I would love to see a pic.

mac 'made my cel flash this weekend' gyvr

Mac, the heat sleeve I posted the link to is a 3/4" fabric tube designed for covering fuel lines, hoses or the like and comes in a 3' length. You cut it to the exposed length of the injector, cut a notch to give the electrical connection some room, slide it over the injector just before you attach the fuel rail assembly to the intake manifold. Since it's a tube, there is no need to secure it because it can't come off. It's pouring buckets right now but I'll try to take a picture after work.

Not wanting to derail, but I have an awful heat soak issue with my LJ, worse than my 95 XJ. Do you put that stuff all the way around the injector or just between the injector and the intake? How do you attach it? I would love to see a pic.

mac 'made my cel flash this weekend' gyvr

cats in the header?

hate those things.

Yes, mine is 04...

mac 'pita' gyvr

get with sidewaysstarion.

I'm totally doing what Dan did. Struck out on a late model PCM in the unkyard, but I'm on the hunt. Have to have one to swap since it's DD. You got the truck and 5.9 to drive, so pull it and send it off.

get with sidewaysstarion.

I'm totally doing what Dan did. Struck out on a late model PCM in the unkyard, but I'm on the hunt. Have to have one to swap since it's DD. You got the truck and 5.9 to drive, so pull it and send it off.

Yup, I'm clear on what it takes, I've talked with Dan about his...the LJ is a bit different tho on years and such so I need to make sure all my ducks are in a row and it will work.

mac 'we totally derailed this' gyvr

Thanks for the link on the heat shield stuff.

I just ordered some off amazon and saved a few bucks.

mac 'its a start' gyvr

Thanks for the info Sardog1! I'll definitely pick some of that up before I install the injectors. I was also looking at fabing up a heat shield for under the intake too. I figure it can't hurt to go with belt and suspenders.

Back