• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New-B from Michigan rebuild

So I managed to get the headlights wired up today. That is a nice little day project. Bought new bulb sockets and rewired the headlights to individual relays. Used 12ga wire the whole way and made short grounds from the sockets to the radiator cross bar. The relays are mounted below the ignition coil on the bracket I made over the radiator over flow bottle. Seeing as I only ever drove this Jeep in the dark one time, I can't really speak to the perceived improvement. What I will say is that they are not lacking anything now. They are plenty bright and not yellow looking like I see on other XJ's. I still need to do the same for my new fog lamps but that isn't a necessity for getting on the road.
So she got taken out on her first road ride this evening. Went to the gas station and filled her up. Got 12 miles in her now! Going to do a nice easy engine break in before signing her up for DD duty. More work to come shortly.
ajy5yzah.jpg

New Mopar rear shocks. CL score for cheap so why not. Had to do the drill and tap procedure after snapping the heads off of the bolts at the top. PITA that was. Oh well, done now. And a poser shot for good measure.
me7u9y4y.jpg

Been a while since I've updated anything here. Jeep has been serving DD duty very nicely. Runs great and has around 3K miles on the engine now. Couple of oil changes done throughout the break in period. Replaced the front shocks and sway bar bushings recently. Finally got around to installing the trailer hitch this weekend. Ordered the nut strips from JCRoffroad which worked great, nice work, highly recommend!

Had my little helper with me too. Teaching her how to chase threads on rusty nuts and bolts.
098e52002a703f8e263f11b21c50672a.jpg

All done!
d54bdf499f0e34720213ffe207aec42f.jpg

Found this while I had the black plastic off the rear.
5168d6442d6a5206c7512452f0feebea.jpg

Oh well, looks like a cut and fold is in my future. I don't like the stock rear bumper anyway so maybe I'll replace that at the same time. Probably won't happen until the spring though.

Next up is installing the overhead counsel I got from the JY.

Back