• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new 35s and 7-8" lift, reeealy bad pinion angle haha

emr1101 how come you went with a 8" lift and 35's and not 7.5" or 6.5"? Im going to be running 35's here soon and cant decide weather to go with a 6.5" 7.5" or a 8" lift.

go with 5.5
you'll be much happier with the lower center of gravity
and it won't look so ridiculously tall

I've got 6" of lift 35s and trimmed fenders, I at times stuff a fender, and don't have any trouble. I vote for ditch the blocks. I have bumped a fender once or twice, but that's when I have been a bit too brave, the fenders are a noisy bumpstop.

Cause he isn't the brightest around here?:looser:

6.5 inches is plenty for 35's.

-Alex

um okay?

emr1101 how come you went with a 8" lift and 35's and not 7.5" or 6.5"? Im going to be running 35's here soon and cant decide weather to go with a 6.5" 7.5" or a 8" lift.

go with 5.5

Its between 7-8 inches of lift. honestly prob right at about 7.5, and 6.5 would be fine for 35s. I just like my stuff big and i love it, and every one i know loves it, so whats the problem? If im happy with it thats all that matters, just thought id share some pics of my finished product...

As for the castor/pinion, they are different but the same, if you adjust one the other changes too, unless you cut and reweld the inner Cs, they are essentially the same. Im going to adjust it soon and tighten up the LCAs, try to find a good medium

Last edited by a moderator:
l_2cc9509063384de91ff130d715ecd9c7.jpg

This is the RE 5.5 kit. I still plan on lowering it a little. I like the lower cog.

I would just lower the whole thing a lot... and you can solve a lot of issues you are probably having... Why 8" lift?

go with 5.5

x2 I would 5.5 or even 4.5 bumpstopped and trimmed... anything higher is TOO HIGH

are some examples
4.5" 35s
IMG_4437.jpg

4.5" 33s
IMG_5381.jpg

5" i think 37s
IMG_1483.jpg

5.5" 35s
2i085kp.jpg

and finally mine
4.5" 33s
IMG_0280.jpg

Last edited:
I think 6.5" would be better b/c i have bushwackers and im not ditching them. If i went with 5.5" i would have to pull them and trim and bumpstop, with 6.5" i wouldent have to trim, i could keep the bushwackers and wouldent have to bumpstop

I think 6.5" would be better b/c i have bushwackers and im not ditching them. If i went with 5.5" i would have to pull them and trim and bumpstop, with 6.5" i wouldent have to trim, i could keep the bushwackers and wouldent have to bumpstop

look at the pics I posted there is one with bushwackers on 5.5" or 5" i forget which

OH and you have to trim and bumpstop no matter what you do if you are putting those tires on even if you put on 32s you will have to trim and bumpstop.... I dunno who told you otherwise

Ill have to look at the pics when i get home b/c im at school and the pics are blocked lol..

O i dident think you had to bumpstop if you went taller, but i was wrong.

My plan is to go 5.5" OR 6.5" LIFT 35's D44 front 9" rear OX lockers front and rear and 4.56 gears. Maybe 4.88 that way if i want to go to 37's i can but i dont know

Wont i have more flex with 6.5"?

Last edited:
lift is not a factor in flex, it is more so control arms and brake line length as well as shock length... with the proper setup a long arm jeep with little lift can flex amazing... and flex doesnt mean everything either... you will see... I see you are in Colorado... I think EricsXJ is there too. you should look at his setup and his friends setups
http://www.ericsxj.com/
http://www.ericsxj.com/barrett/barrett.htm

check your PM box

I'm not defending the OP at all, but I really don't think 6.5 or 7.5 is all that bad. I see people's Jeeps and they say the only have a 5.5" lift, yet I see their Jeep and its huge. I think people tend to fib sometimes with their lift height cause a lot of people say "lower is better."

My plan is to go 5.5" OR 6.5" LIFT 35's D44 front 9" rear OX lockers front and rear and 4.56 gears. Maybe 4.88 that way if i want to go to 37's i can but i dont know

Wont i have more flex with 6.5"?

OX doesn't make a locker for 9" rear end, and unless they make their own 3rd member, I don't think they ever will get to it.

No you won't have more flex. Lift height does not determine flex. That just means you will have more uptravel, and less downtravel.

Last edited:
I'm not defending the OP at all, but I really don't think 6.5 or 7.5 is all that bad. I see people's Jeeps and they say the only have a 5.5" lift, yet I see their Jeep and its huge. I think people tend to fib sometimes with their lift height cause a lot of people say "lower is better."

OX doesn't make a locker for 9" rear end, and unless they make their own 3rd member, I don't think they ever will get to it.

No you won't have more flex. Lift height does not determine flex. That just means you will have more uptravel, and less downtravel.

Agreed!

I knew this would turn into the famus lower is better debate. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 6.5-7" lift. 8 or more is for the mall.

I'm at about ~6.5 and have no problem stuffing a tire and feel very comfortable with the COG and I wheel in the big stuff. To each his own but COG is overrated when talking about lifts below 6.5"s. It just has to be built correctly.

Just like finding a happy medium between pinion angle and caster, you'll want a happy medium between COG and clearence. There's only so much your skids can take and bump stopping DOES effect up travel and performace depending how and where you wheel.

lift is not a factor in flex, it is more so control arms and brake line length as well as shock length... with the proper setup a long arm jeep with little lift can flex amazing... and flex doesnt mean everything either... you will see... I see you are in Colorado... I think EricsXJ is there too. you should look at his setup and his friends setups
http://www.ericsxj.com/
http://www.ericsxj.com/barrett/barrett.htm

check your PM box

Alright cool thanks, he has one hell of a nice XJ. In CO we have quite a few trials that require you to have some lift otherwise you just bottom out on everything. Ive meet a few guys here that have 6.5" lift and 35's and 37's to and they say they like it really well.

I like RE 5.5"
I also like Claytons 6.5"
I know guys that are running both and love them both. So eather way im going to go with one of those two lifts

leftlanetruckin your running 37's on a 6.5" lift?
yeppers.
ride is excellent, as is the flex.
have since replaced the shit 6.5" leafs with alcans etc as i stated in the other post.
bump stopped and shocked accordingly, although there is a good amount of up travel, there is considerably more down travel. i learnt a few years ago with the yj, keep it a little lower and get lots of droop. that allows you to run less lift, within reason.
here is the Po flexing a little, before the alcans etc.
xjflex.jpg

and here is how it sits with the bushwackers on it...
xjweb2.jpg

of course, this is all just my opinion, for what its worth.....
hope that gives you an idea?

martin

Back