• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new 35s and 7-8" lift, reeealy bad pinion angle haha

Unless you are driving on flat ground all the time, you'll want more than 4.56's. You can get away with 4.56's but why not do it right the first time. I have 4.56's and 35's and I'm going with 5.13's in the 44's I'm building.

for the difference in gearing, i 3rd the 4.88's.
that way it will leave you some room for future expansion, ie tire increase!
i ran 4.88's in my yj, with a bored 4.3 chevy/700r4. they were excellent on road, and would only be better with 35's.
did you price up some rubicon axles? they include selectable lockers and are already at 4.10. you may luck out and find some that are regeared to 4.56 or 4.88 too.....just a thought.

martin

No i havent had a chance to price them out yet. Im gona do that next week. Then the build should start withing the next year. The pocket book is pretty empty lol.

And ill go with 4.88s

I'm not going to flame you.....However, I would start by saying you should adjust your lower control arms in until your pinion angle is straight, they're out way too far. Put your angle finder on top of your knuckles and try to get between 0*-6* Neg degrees caster. Your pinion angle is more important than the caster.

If you have to shim the rear...Just make sure you buy steel shims like Rubicon Express. The aluminums are total shit and will leave you stranded for sure.

Caster is much more important that pinion angle. You will struggle to keep it in your own lane on the freeway if you don't have at least 5 degrees of positive caster. Negative caster = dangerous handling. Set the caster, and don't worry about pinion. You might get vibes from the front driveshaft ujoint at 7-8" of lift. The best thing you could do is lower the rig to about 6" of lift and trim fenders. This will improve your pinion angle.
Lots of people run 35 inch tires with 6-6.5 inches of lift without much issues.

Negative caster = dangerous handling. Set the caster, and don't worry about pinion.

Correct me if Im wrong, but isnt negative caster what you want?

I thought negative caster had the top ball joint pointed towards the back of the car, while positive had it pointed towards the front.

Anyone know the difference between the pinion angle and caster angle on a stock D30?

Well, it seems this thread got seriously hijacked. . . But either way here's a bunch of pictures from the swap.
This is just a shot of the perches sitting on the axle upside down-Those are Ruffstuff brackets all the way around I believe. Very nice stuff!

Here's the 8.25 on its way out

Picture of his new diff cover-thing was beef

8.8 getting ready for take-off

I love the look of an XJ without anything under it! . . . (which is why mine's been like that for too long. . . )

Divershaft flange adapter

Correct me if Im wrong, but isnt negative caster what you want?

I thought negative caster had the top ball joint pointed towards the back of the car, while positive had it pointed towards the front.

Anyone know the difference between the pinion angle and caster angle on a stock D30?

No, Positive caster is with the top of the ball joint towards the back of the car.

I used to think the same thing.

Back