• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

network help. im lost!!!

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
Im trying to get internet to my Win2K laptop. I also have a WINXp
machine in the house.

Here is my setup.

-Modem (broadband) goes to port 1 on the hub.
-One cable goes from hub to Desktop (WinXP)
-One cable goes from hub to Laptop (Win2K)

Desktop box has no problems gettting online and everything else.

Laptop doesnt work, the "Local Area Connection" says connected, as does
the desktop. But the laptop doesnt connect to the internet.

What am I doing wrong? IP address in Lan is set to automatic.

OK, your cable provider generally will only supply ONE IP address and the first machine to talk to the cable modem gets it. Go to the store and spend $49 on a netgear or dlink or linksys, you could even spend another $10 and get a wireless one with 4 wired ports on it. The router will get an IP from the modem and then it will dhcp to your pc's and all will work..

Does the Win2K machine work directly into the modem? When my stepson changed to W2K it needed some added software to connect to DSL, just as win98 does.

I have a plain netgear ethernet hub and can connect three properly configured computers at the same time thorugh the dsl modem.

So, found out my ISP only allows one connection unless I upgrade to a faster service.

By going to a broadband router I can get around this?

summitlt said:
So, found out my ISP only allows one connection unless I upgrade to a faster service.

By going to a broadband router I can get around this?
Yes.

Cable --> Cable Modem --> Router --> computers

A good wireless router will help out if you have a laptop with wireless capabilities too. Disable the wireless feature if you're not using it though.

Matthew Currie said:
Does the Win2K machine work directly into the modem? When my stepson changed to W2K it needed some added software to connect to DSL, just as win98 does.

I have a plain netgear ethernet hub and can connect three properly configured computers at the same time thorugh the dsl modem.

How does this work? Where do the IP addresses come from? Are you sure it is just a plain old hub? No offense, I am just curious because I have never seen this work. Who is your ISP?

Cable or docis modems work differently then DSL does. Docsis modems put out a normal ethernet connection on their ethernet interface. DSL modems on the other hand use whats called PPoE or Point to Point over Ethernet, simliar to the old dialup that windows 3.11 and win95 used with Trumpet_winsock [I'm dating myself here] and the dialup software that win98 on up has as standard, that requires client software.
All these issues are solved with the addtion of a gateway router/firewall. The gateway router firewalls get a DHCP address from the provider, whether cable or telco. Once the gateway/router has it they use a service called NAT or Network Address Translation. The inside of the firewall [your house] normally gets whats called a non-routable IP address in the 192.168.x.x range or you can change it to a non-routable class 'A' address of 10.x.x.x, at least the SMC ones will handle the 10 address space, not sure about the other brands. They then translate any outgoing requests from your inside network and make it appear the requests are coming from the single IP that is on the outside of the router/gateway.

Cable companies don't like router/firewalls because they can't see how many machines you have and it offends their sense of greed because they think you are getting away with something for free. DSL on the other hand is from the telcos who are used to working with real networks where you pay for bandwidth not machines, I was on my local cableco $hit list for a long time because I was installing SMC's on every one of my customers cable setups and they did not like it plus I was selling moto surfboards faster than they could replace their failed scientific altantas :laugh3:
I have between 5 and 10 systems here at any one time, sometimes more when doing a big build and I for sure use bandwidth when doing updates on 20 or 30 new machines all at once.
Oh well, back to burning ISO's...

cherokee89 said:
How does this work? Where do the IP addresses come from? Are you sure it is just a plain old hub? No offense, I am just curious because I have never seen this work. Who is your ISP?

I think RichP explains it better than I can because he actually understands it. anyway, yeah, it's just a plain "dumb" netgear 4 port ethernet hub that a friend of mine set aside after he went to wireless. The IP addresses are dynamic, just like dialup, and my ISP made it plain when it set up the DSL that while they are theoretically charging me for a single connection they have no control and really no concern about how many computers I use at my end. It's shoreham.net, a service of our local "mom and pop" phone company.

By the way, I also get free roaming access over dialup at various places in the eastern US. Supposedly, after a certain amount of time they're going to charge me, but they get a lump amount of roaming from their backbone provider or whatever, so othey don't charge individual customers until they are charged. So far, in the last 4 years, the sum total of all customers' roaming hasn't exceeded their base allowance, and they've never charged for it. Ah, country life!

Interesting. I understand what RichP is saying, but I have never seen that setup work.

Hey RichP: Any idea why the hub works this way? I am guessing the ISP is allowing multiple IP addresses to go to the same modem.

Thanks guys.

cherokee89 said:
Interesting. I understand what RichP is saying, but I have never seen that setup work.

Hey RichP: Any idea why the hub works this way? I am guessing the ISP is allowing multiple IP addresses to go to the same modem.

Thanks guys.

My cable modem ISP allows 3 ip addresses, one goes to the cable modem, the other two are for PC's [they *allow* a max of two], I have my cable modem connected to a 4 port switch, from there it goes to an SMC router. This allows me to plug another machine into the 'outside' world on the 4 port switch without the router/firewall in there, generally it's either one of my nix boxes or my sniffer, generally I do that when my router notifies me someones running port scans so I go port scan em back and sometime will flood their mac for an hour or so :D If I get really ticked off at someone I'll fire up satan on my solaris box to go after them once the sniffer finds them..time consuming but fun...

Almost forgot, if you own your own moto surfboard you can http into it's interface and see the configs, logs and signal levels, they all have it in the same varying degrees, difference is if it's a rental they usually lock you out so you can't tune it any..

Back