• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to replace seats in my DD

Spidey

NAXJA Forum User
The leather seats in my '92 limited have seen better days, and now I am seeing the foam. I tried to limp them along with leather conditioner since I bought the old girl in Feb '04 but the leather has just worn too thin .

I would like to get some new seats rather than find some out of a late model and recover them.

I don't think I want racing seats a la Corbeau or Momo, because I doubt that they are going to hold up to the rigors of wheeling over time since they are designed more for sports cars.

I know that Bestop makes several different types of seats for the Wrangler... Has anyone modified them to fit in an XJ?

Any other suggestions?

Beard and Mastercraft make some nice suspension seats... but they are way nicer to sit in than they are to climb in & out of.

If you are 'large & unathletic' these may not be your cup of tea... OTOH they are very supportive and comfy once ya get situated. I believe I'd wear out the upholstry on the outboard bolster just dragging my butt across it 4-8 times / day.

I'm using the Corbeau Forza's and would not recommend them for a DD (in and out is an upper body workout) but they hold you in place like a vise.
I wouldn't hesitate to go with any high end seat for offroad though. Along with sport car use Corbeau, Beard, Recaro, and Bride all hold up to desert racing which is much tougher than anything you'll put them through. Just get the model that's right for your driving.

kid4lyf said:
I'm using the Corbeau Forza's and would not recommend them for a DD (in and out is an upper body workout) but they hold you in place like a vise.
I wouldn't hesitate to go with any high end seat for offroad though. Along with sport car use Corbeau, Beard, Recaro, and Bride all hold up to desert racing which is much tougher than anything you'll put them through. Just get the model that's right for your driving.

Thats the problem, nobody around this area has any in stock. Back in the 70's when I was building vans the shops had just about every seat made out on the floor so you could try them out. It's tough to pick a seat and know if it fits out of a catalog or off a web page... especially if you are not a narrow assed euro or asian type... or 'average'... :laugh3: Us big dogs have some issues with that... I don't want to buy a seat and have it make a sucking sound every time I get out :laugh3: :laugh3:

Check out www.renegadeseats.com, they have "Jeep" seat very similar to the Mastercraft Rubicon seat but for only about $200, extra wide and tall are also options worth considering.

Another option is www.racecraftseats.com, they have a "Jeep" seat as well for less than $200.

The "Jeep" seat I am refering to has the same suspention and support as the race seats but they have lower side bolsters making in/out easier.

dmorxj said:
Corbeau makes excellent seats all around. Try their baha or ultra seats. They are suspension seats and affordable.
I have to disagree with this.

Any corbeau seats I have seen in a machine that is _really_ wheeled has not stood up.

I will add the caveat that these are older seats - say 6-7 years ago when purchased - no one in the club has bought any since.

r@m

The main issue is that I want to be able to recline the new seats just like the stock ones. I am an old sports car guy, so I really like the seats with heavy side bolsters to hold you in. In fact the Corbeau GTS seat was my original choice. But the more I have thought about it, those bolsters will only get in the way. I am usually the spotter for a lot of my buddies out on the trails, so I'm in and out of the seat quite a bit.
Maybe my best solution is to find some seats out of a really low mileage XJ or ZJ at the salvage yard and have them reupholstered.
The Bestop seats that are offered for the Wrangler are really what I want. But I would hate to order them only to find out that they won't work.
Can someone tell me if the seat and mounting bracket on the XJ are two separate pieces? If they are, I'm sure I could modify the brackets to work with the Bestop seats.
I guess I could see if my brother would be nice enough to take one of the seats out of his TJ so we could compare them!

Unfortunately the quadratec site has limited stuff listed for the XJ, HOWEVER, they do have an XJ supplement that has those seats as well as the bases for them for the XJ....we get both catalogs as we have 2 XJ's, 2TJ's and a YJ....

THESE are one of the seats I am thinking about. I found that dealer on ebay and thought the price of $169 per seat with free shipping was pretty good. They have the all vinyl seat for $159 each with free shipping. Any thoughts?

-Mike

Thanks for the info RichP.
I haven't seen that Quadratec supplement in my maibox yet, so I'll have to see if I can locate the seats on their website.
Wow, I thought I was doing good by having an XJ and a KJ in the family. I guess I've got some catching up to do!
My brother just got a TJ and now my wife wants one, so I'm sure we'll have one eventually. Only took one wheeling trip for her to get the bug!

Mike L said:
THESE are one of the seats I am thinking about. I found that dealer on ebay and thought the price of $169 per seat with free shipping was pretty good. They have the all vinyl seat for $159 each with free shipping. Any thoughts?

-Mike
Why would you buy these off ebay for that price? Go to Corbeau's web site and see that they list for $159.
Find a real dealer.

kid4lyf said:
Why would you buy these off ebay for that price? Go to Corbeau's web site and see that they list for $159.
Find a real dealer.

I wonder how much shipping is. At least $30-$40 each don't 'cha think?

-Mike

Mike L said:
I wonder how much shipping is. At least $30-$40 each don't 'cha think?

-Mike
At least. That's why I'd go to Corbeau's site to find a local distributor. They can often do a little better on price too.

I just put in this one in my XJ

sitzrot.jpg

You have to fab an adapter to fit them to the XJ console but thats no rocket science. I had already 1 trip in it and i must say that i'm really happy with them. They are not really tight at the seat area but give you a good feeling.

I choose the vinyl style because it's a offroad only rig and i don't have to worry much about cleaning them.

You can get them the expensive way through DriverFX. If you can't find a dealer that is able to get them for ya shoot me an email, i sell them in germany and i can have them drop shipped to you. They are sold in the US for about 150 USD i think

That seems like a much better deal than the $320 Corbeau's I was looking at Here but I'm wondering how they compare (other than vinyl vs. cloth). I couldn't find any specs on them like do they recline and or flip forward. And how do you think they would be in a DD for long periods of highway time? What price would you estimate for the FX seats to be drop shipped in the US through you XJoachim?

Back