• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some Xmas help

GRIMUS99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to buy my daughter (age 8) a tablet for xmas and I am just about googled out and mind raped by all the research I have done. Anyone have any good suggestions on a decent tablet. She has a cell phone and an I pod touch so this is the next step I believe.

I need one wth android operating system and a true market place. Youtube Fbook and twitter. Streaming from netflix and hulu would be awesome but not a must. Oh and the kicker I want to stay as close to a Hundred dollars as I can being it is her first bigger electronic. She takes care of her phone and Ipod good but just to be safe I want to stay a little cheap.

Also if anyone could point me in a good direction for a solid e reader for my GF that would be great, only request is that it has the "Eink" or "Epage" look to it. She is starting college and this will save on school books.

Yes I have a 8 year old daughter and My gf is starting college haha I do it like that :cheers:

I am going to buy my daughter (age 8) a tablet for xmas and I am just about googled out and mind raped by all the research I have done. Anyone have any good suggestions on a decent tablet. She has a cell phone and an I pod touch so this is the next step I believe.

I feel suddenly very old(I am 31), I mean seriously, an iPod touch and a cell phone, now a tablet? When I was 8 I am pretty sure I had GI joe and He-Man lol. What an age to be growing up in I tell's ya. Youtube, FB, twitter hulu and all of that for an 8 year old, just amazing.

ok maybe that was a little misleading. No she does not have fbook or twitter but netflix yes. Its one of the easiest ways for me to know what she watches and monitor it

Lets also keep in mind she is an honor roll straight A student that has to this day never got in any kind of real trouble. My son who is 10 no he has none of the above mentioned as he would find someway to make a weapon out of them lol

My GF has a Kindle Fire. That thing is pretty sweet and runs off a customized Android operating system. It is a very nice tablet IMO. It makes a great Ereader and plays movies and videos really well. I personally have an ipad 2 but I think thats a bit out of the price range plus its kinda overrated. But I got mines free so im not complaining.

If she is a reader the Kindle Fire is your best choice as a hybrid tablet however it doesn't have the true Market. AFAIK there are no current android or Apple tablets that will do Flash (Hulu Netflix ect) However you can watch Youtube on most I think. You'll be pretty hard pressed to find any decent tablet in the $100 range, and really if you want anything decent you're talking one of the big names Galaxy Tab, iPad, Motorola Xoom, ASUS Eee Pad, ect.

ok maybe that was a little misleading. No she does not have fbook or twitter but netflix yes. Its one of the easiest ways for me to know what she watches and monitor it

Lets also keep in mind she is an honor roll straight A student that has to this day never got in any kind of real trouble. My son who is 10 no he has none of the above mentioned as he would find someway to make a weapon out of them lol

I didn't mean to imply anything, I was just shocked at the age kids get and use this technology. My youngest niece at that age would have used a tablet for school work while my older niece would had just been watching funny vids on youtube ha. It is just a device and gives back what the user brings to it.

For Eink, the best would be either the Nook Simple Touch or the new Kindle touch. Best bet to find one for her would be find the books she will be needing for school and see what is available for each device. For normal reading, Barnes and Noble had more books available last I knew.

Been hearing great things about the Kindle Fire. The only bad reviews I've heard are from those trying to compare it to an iPad. That's a total unfair comparison. They just aren't in the same category.

From what I've seen/heard, is that the Kindle Fire is the most comparable to the iPad (this name still baffles me... could be a ladies product)

+ she can get books on there too. If you don't get the Fire, at least get a reputable electronics brand... Samsung, Sony etc... stay away from those cheap off-brand ones.

i ended up buying the velocity cruz t301. Seems that through my research Velocity was leading the industry in cheaper tablets andhad plenty of online good reviews and had a small market for accessories.

As far as my Girlfriend goes Im liking the KOBO e-ink reader

Here is a site that has downloads of old, out of copyright books. They have them in multiple formats, epub, kindle, html sometimes some others, depending on the book. If anyone likes older books, or has a report to do, might be able to find something you need here instead of paying for it or making a trip to a library.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Here is a site that has downloads of old, out of copyright books. They have them in multiple formats, epub, kindle, html sometimes some others, depending on the book. If anyone likes older books, or has a report to do, might be able to find something you need here instead of paying for it or making a trip to a library.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Back