• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some rear bumper mounting hole measurements, pretty please

Starscream

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, guys-

If anyone has the measurements lying around for the rear bumper mounting holes like this:

IMG_1500.jpg

I need measurements from hole center to hole center for the 4 face mounting holes.

I'd really, really appreciate it. I'm at my apartment right now and they are absolute Nazis about working on your vehicle in the lots, so I'm sure they'd shit a brick if they saw me taking my rear bumper off. I need the measurements to send to my step-dad so he can cut and drill some flat stock before we start on the body of the bumper this Saturday (making a day trip home, already have the tubing).

Thanks so much in advance.

first step: get a new appartment.

Wish i had better info for ya.... pm 91XJMA maybe... i know he's made at least one rear bumper from scratch.

I must be in a good mood. This is my 3rd good deed for the week, and it's only Tuesday.

2 7/16" tall x 4 7/16" long. also, don't cut the plates any taller then 4 1/2", that's about all the vertical flat space you have to play with.

I must be in a good mood. This is my 3rd good deed for the week, and it's only Tuesday.

2 7/16" tall x 4 7/16" long. also, don't cut the plates any taller then 4 1/2", that's about all the vertical flat space you have to play with.
Are those the hole center to hole center measurements where the mounting bolts go or the plate dimensions? Either way that's more info than I started with. Thanks a bunch :guitar:

Last edited:
That was the hole center to hole center measurements.
If I was cutting plates, I'd make them at least 3 3/4 - 4" tall and 5 3/4"-6" long.
If you go much over 4 1/2 " tall, the plate won't be able to sit flat against the rear cross member.

EDIT: Been a while since I pulled the rear bumper, but I thing the bolts were metric, the holes in the plates will need to be about 3/8". also, I measured all four sets of dimensions. The verticals were all 2 7/16", but one of the weld nuts was slightly off and the horizontal dimensions varied out to 4 1/2" in one location.(the other three were 4 7/16')

Last edited:
That was the hole center to hole center measurements.
If I was cutting plates, I'd make them at least 3 3/4 - 4" tall and 5 3/4"-6" long.
If you go much over 4 1/2 " tall, the plate won't be able to sit flat against the rear cross member.

EDIT: Been a while since I pulled the rear bumper, but I thing the bolts were metric, the holes in the plates will need to be about 3/8". also, I measured all four sets of dimensions. The verticals were all 2 7/16", but one of the weld nuts was slightly off and the horizontal dimensions varied out to 4 1/2" in one location.(the other three were 4 7/16')
Dude, awesome. Thank you soooo much. I really, truly appreciate it. :thumbup:

7 posts, and we all forgot. My measurements were off an '87. I don't think they ever changed, but buyer beware.

Thanks from me, too. I've been putting off making a new bumper because I've been too lazy to take the mounting-hole measurements. Starscream's excuse is much better.

Back