• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some help?

wvredxj

NAXJA Forum User
Heres my problems, got a bad noise coming from underneath, we think its the tcase, or it could be the front end, hopefully the front since i am gearing very soon. The noise happens when i am in 4wd, either with a rear shaft or w/o, but never happens when i am in 2wd. Gets worse when i have only front wheel drive. Kinda pops and grinds, hard to explain i guess, but it is pretty damn loud. I also seem to have a problem with axle wrap. The story to this is, the shims broke when i had the cry 8.25, which sheered the center pins off my leafs, they bent, and then my block slid almost out of the ubolts, and was sideways, at that point i had horrible axle wrap, the yoke on the 8.25 was hitting the exhaust, and it evenutally knocked one of the tits off the yoke on the 8.25 to where it would not hold a joint in it. At this point i swapped the 8.8 in, no shims, i put the pinion angle down 2 degrees from center'd, to allow for some wrap. We put new center pins in, and drilled and taped the block, and bolted it to my new m.o.r.e anti wrap spring perches. After this, i did not feel or hear any more wrap. My last run, i was coming out of river, climbing a sandy back, hard throtal and my yoke adapter broke (1310) style, which sent the t/w's shaft flying, and it bent the ears on the shaft. Drove it home, in front wheel drive from charleston. Thats when a lot of noises became more apparent. There where a few new one's as well as some old ones that became much louder. So i guess in all this i am trying to figure out what i need to do about the tcase, and to elimnate the wrap i am having to stop my problems. Here are some pics of the springs i took last weekend:
leafs005.jpg

leafs006.jpg

Oo, my rig is a 99, clayton 8 inch kit, rock krawler suspension, auto 4litre, 231 case with a sye. The front d30 has a lock rite in it, the rear 8.8 is open, gearing is stock 3:55.

HOLY CRAP!! i hope this is a joke..

those leaves are toasted that might not be your noise problem but i'd say its a pretty big problem

your text in narow trac (for easy reading):

"
Heres my problems, got a bad noise coming from underneath, we think its the tcase, or it could be the front end, hopefully the front since i am gearing very soon. The noise happens when i am in 4wd, either with a rear shaft or w/o, but never happens when i am in 2wd. Gets worse when i have only front wheel drive. Kinda pops and grinds, hard to explain i guess, but it is pretty damn loud. I also seem to have a problem with axle wrap. The story to this is, the shims broke when i had the cry 8.25, which sheered the center pins off my leafs, they bent, and then my block slid almost out of the ubolts, and was sideways, at that point i had horrible axle wrap, the yoke on the 8.25 was hitting the exhaust, and it evenutally knocked one of the tits off the yoke on the 8.25 to where it would not hold a joint in it. At this point i swapped the 8.8 in, no shims, i put the pinion angle down 2 degrees from center'd, to allow for some wrap. We put new center pins in, and drilled and taped the block, and bolted it to my new m.o.r.e anti wrap spring perches. After this, i did not feel or hear any more wrap. My last run, i was coming out of river, climbing a sandy back, hard throtal and my yoke adapter broke (1310) style, which sent the t/w's shaft flying, and it bent the ears on the shaft. Drove it home, in front wheel drive from charleston. Thats when a lot of noises became more apparent. There where a few new one's as well as some old ones that became much louder. So i guess in all this i am trying to figure out what i need to do about the tcase, and to elimnate the wrap i am having to stop my problems. Here are some pics of the springs i took last weekend:"

sounds like your T-case is hating your guts for being so mean to it..

pull it out and pull the rear tail cover and look at your pump gear it may be shreaded, Is it gettin overly hot?? sounds like the cahin is sliping also, maybe missing some teeth on the chain gears

Last edited:
leafs where bent way before i ever had noises coming from the front. I am trying to figure out why i am having such bad axle wrap. I plan to do someting about the leafs

wvredxj said:
leafs where bent way before i ever had noises coming from the front. I am trying to figure out why i am having such bad axle wrap. I plan to do someting about the leafs

take a look at your leafs they are shoot. THAT is why you are haveing axle wrap. as for the poping noise it sounds to me like it is you TCase. but you might just have to open up and see.

i understand that i have wrap now, and why, but i am wondering why i orginally had it, and why the leafs bent so badly? Aslo, would you still run a new set of 6.5 inch rk springs or would you do like a s10 or dakota spring, or an another lift company springs, i guess it would best if i could get rid of that block.

wvredxj said:
i understand that i have wrap now, and why, but i am wondering why i orginally had it, and why the leafs bent so badly? Aslo, would you still run a new set of 6.5 inch rk springs or would you do like a s10 or dakota spring, or an another lift company springs, i guess it would best if i could get rid of that block.

ummmm. two words......."lift blocks"

wvredxj said:
i i guess it would best if i could get rid of that block.
look at that, a little thought and logic and he answered his own question!

Also, your shocks, which in the OEM position help fight axle-wrap, are horribly ghetto fabbed into an almost useless position. You may as well eliminate the shocks if you are going to run them at that angle, as they have about 10% of their damping ability when angled so severly.

loose t-case chain needs to be repalced. check chain gears as well for damage.

mount shocks back to stock locations buy some new leafs and eliminate blocks or install traction/anitwrap bar.

stop letting your rig bounce over and over again on hard throtle

whoa, stop the damn train a second.................

first of all, the shocks are in the stock location, that one got ripped off again, if you notice it is sitting on the damn exhaust, we fixed that. The jeep doesnt bounce, i get axle wrap tho. And i have known the blocks cause more pressure on the spring, but i still think i shouldnt have wrap with just a 2 inch block, thats not a massive block or anything, and there has to be a way to run a 2 inch block safely. Do they even make a 8 inch leaf pack, or would that have to be custom, like a alcan or deaver pack?

wvredxj said:
whoa, stop the damn train a second.................

first of all, the shocks are in the stock location, that one got ripped off again, if you notice it is sitting on the damn exhaust, we fixed that. The jeep doesnt bounce, i get axle wrap tho. And i have known the blocks cause more pressure on the spring, but i still think i shouldnt have wrap with just a 2 inch block, thats not a massive block or anything, and there has to be a way to run a 2 inch block safely. Do they even make a 8 inch leaf pack, or would that have to be custom, like a alcan or deaver pack?
  1. they have traction bars ( the way to run a 2" block without wrap )
  2. yes they do, or you could contact a manufacturer and have your leaves custom arched to what you need.
and i get axle wrap on my F250 without a lift or blocks just from the torque applied during hard acceleration ( not much but it is there with all leaf springs unless you have some type of traction bar set up )

would you know of a good company that makes 8 inch packs, custom alcan or deavers are a lot of coin, and i would prefer not to run a traction bar, i would dont really want to hurt my flex at this point.

wvredxj said:
would you know of a good company that makes 8 inch packs, custom alcan or deavers are a lot of coin, and i would prefer not to run a traction bar, i would dont really want to hurt my flex at this point.

My mistake on the shock angle, it looked like they were attached at that angle.

How would a traction bar hurt your rear flex?

BigOffRoad makes an 8" pack.

everything i have read says that traction bars or ladder bars hurt flex. Do they not? And are those bigoffroadroad springs flexy or stiff?

Back