• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some help... Waaaaaaaay off topic....

That's incorrect, if they're in public it's 100% legal to record them. And unless there's been a very recent supreme court ruling it's even acceptable to record them through a window *IF* they've made no attempt at obscuring the view via blinds, curtains, etc.

Good advice though, document as much as you can with specific facts, not opinions. Hell, if you get good enough evidence your local LE might just go straight to a warrant. But either way any self respecting LE agency will do something about it.

Of course do it all as stealthily as possible, there's no point in compromising you or your lady's safety.

Read: http://oregonlegalresearch.blogspot.com/2008/09/can-i-tape-record-conversation-without.html

The law is still in effect, and if you record a person you will be IN TROUBLE unless it meets very narrow exceptions like those mentioned in the articles.

As I said, that is OREGON LAW--check your local laws.

Well thanks for all the tips so far....

I'm definitely contacting the police on Monday. I found a community resource arm of the Sheriff's department that deals with drugs and gangs.

The media angle won't work at all. We live near Santa Ana in Ca. The crime rate in that place compared to the surrounding communities is so much higher that unless I uncover a meth lab or a HUGE amount of pot they won't even give me the time of day.

Sorry if I offended anyone by mentioning the (alleged) drug dealers religion. It's just that the neighborhood I live in contains people from all walks of life, all races, all ages, any kind of diversity you can think of.

All of the houses are well kept, people are respectful of each other, we all know each other and get along well.

There is only one house that stands out from the rest. Why?

1. It's the only house on the block that is almost completely run down.
2. It's the only house on the block that (appears to be) selling drugs.
3. It's the only house on the block that no one around here knows much about.
4. It's the only house on the block who's tenants are Mormon.

I've got nothing against them because of their religion. But I HATE drug dealers, they are the lowest life form on the planet.

I don't know if contacting the church will help, but that's something I'll be looking into.

Thanks again.

Edit:

Thanks Joe Peters. Around here we are allowed to photograph/videotape anything on public property. So if they are dealing out in the street and I videotape it, there is nothing they can do about it.

Last edited:
Read: http://oregonlegalresearch.blogspot.com/2008/09/can-i-tape-record-conversation-without.html

The law is still in effect, and if you record a person you will be IN TROUBLE unless it meets very narrow exceptions like those mentioned in the articles.

As I said, that is OREGON LAW--check your local laws.

Neither one of those examples show that it's illegal to record someone in public without their consent.

For one, they are dealing with police officers in which they may be a "protected class" in Oregon (I'm not sure).

And in neither one of the cases were there any criminal consequences.

So far, the SUPREME COURT has ruled that you have no expectation of privacy in public.

Just remember, a person can be sued by nearly anyone for nearly anything. So just because someone sues for being recorded with out their permission doesn't even come close to meaning it's illegal. Also, though you can record individuals in public, you can't harass them nor can you feature them in a publication without their consent. Therefore, the OP's fine for recording them on the street and coming in and out of the house.

Missed it on the first go-around, but someone else brought it up: the pool. Not sure if it's the same in CA, but here in Phoenix, there are health regs covering pools. You have a pool, you have to maintain it. It's a County inspector, not city. Check your local laws. 'Might be something along those lines you can use.

Not sure what being mormon has to do with any of this... unless (of course) you just don't like mormons.

I suggest approaching the problem like you would if you weren't aware of their religion, not showing any bigotry...

You never know, the LE you end up dealing with might be mormon too...

Let's take another look at what the OP said, shall we?

Had the OP bothered to ask how to go about verifying "rumor" and approaching "the church" to solve his problem, I would have responded differently Soooo....if he had said, "How do I talk to those Mormons, they're such a weird and different people, I have no idea how to talk to them?" You would've been ok with that?

I stand by my response and suggest you learn to practice what you preach.
Interesting...your only input is to take offense at the mention of them likely being Mormon...I wonder why?
Feel free to PM me if you'd like some pointers on how to approach the local LDS Church leaders.
Ding ding ding! He's a Mormon himself! That's the only reason you take offense at it.

The OP alluded to it three times in the context of prerequisite... moron.
I thought you Mormons were supposed to be more polite.

The OP alluded to it three times in the context of prerequisite... moron.

Actually he only said it twice and once was to identify a house.

Nothing derogatory but keep crying, moron. It's cool, you must feel left out not being able to ride your crutch all the time. Gotta jump on any opportunity :)

...and somehow I double-posted (lol)

Let's drop the hate, boys... at least I offered to help.

The behavior as described by the OP is extremely a-typical of my experience with LDS here in Utah.

Last edited:
LOL...

Three brain cells between you, and Darky's got two of 'em.

...and somehow I double-posted (lol)

Let's drop the hate, boys... at least I offered to help.

The behavior as described by the OP is extremely a-typical of my experience with LDS here in Utah.

So you want to drop the hate after you talk shit? Wow you act like a child and we're the ones that lack intelligence? My 4.0 obviously doesn't mean anything when geniuses like you are around.

So because their behavior isnt like what you expect from Mormons, they must not be Mormon?
Wouldn't determining someones religion solely on a description of their behavior be stereotyping?

Just goes to show that the first to cry bigot is usually the biggest one there

when those ricers pull up toss a hook around the rear control arm and about 10 feet of chain, do it to a couple, body parts wont call for a tow, for make sure its something important. they'll stop coming by soon enough... i cant offer any "legal" advice, as im rash and never think things out. And it kinda sounds they claim to be mormon to get the help of the church. i know a few people of the faith, they're very strict about how they conduct themselves.

When fishing with a Mormon, how do you keep him from drinking all of your beer?

Bring another Mormon.

Wow! Spent about an hour checking out these folks on the OCSC site. If this is any indicator---

I purposely omitted names....

Traffic and Criminal Cases

Child #1
06/23/2002 23224(a) VC M Minor in possession of alcohol while driving

09/25/2003 23224(b) VC M Passenger under 21 in possession of alcohol in a vehicle

03/01/2005 22349(a) VC I Exceeding maximum speed of 65 MPH

08/03/2006 27315(d)(1) VC I Mandatory use of seat belts required

04/30/2007 9.08.010 ORMC I Human Waste (Public urination/defication?)

05/28/2007 27315(d)(1) VC I Mandatory use of seat belts required

07/28/2007 23152(a) VC M Driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs

07/28/2007 23152(b) VC M Drive while blood alcohol level is 0.08% or more

10/24/2007 40508(a) VC M Failure to appear

Child #2
08/05/2004 22350 VC I Unsafe speed for prevailing conditions

Child #3
05/04/2006 27315(d) VC I Drive without safety belt

Child #4
11/01/2006 22349(a) VC I Exceeding maximum speed of 65 MPH

Homeowner (father)
11/01/2006 16028(a) VC I Failure to provide proof of financial responsibility

Child #5
12/11/2008 21453(c) VC I Red arrow, driver shall not enter intersection

Child #6
01/31/2008 4000(a)(1)-NP VC I No evidence of current registration, no proof per VC 40610

01/31/2008 16028(a) VC I Failure to provide proof of financial responsibility

01/31/2008 27315(d)(1) VC I Mandatory use of seat belts required

03/05/2008 594(a)/(b)(2)(A) PC M Vandalism-less than $400 in damages

05/20/2008 853.7 PC M Failure to appear on written promise to appear

09/10/2009 484(a)-488 PC M Petty theft

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Civil Cases (P******= homeowner/s)

ARROW VS P******(DEFENDANT) OTHER/COLLECTIONS 02/28/2007 CIVIL - LIMITED

BLAIR VS P******(DEFENDANT) PI/PD - AUTO 09/16/2003 CIVIL

P******(PLAINTIFF) VS WAKEFIELD ETAL PI/PD - AUTO 10/18/1994 CIVIL

P******(PLAINTIFF) ETC ETAL VS MC MASTER ETAL PI/PD - AUTO 02/13/1990 CIVIL

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Small Claims Cases

COUNTY OF ORANGE, AUDITOR CONTROLLER VS. P******(DEFENDANT) 01/22/2008 SMALL CLAIMS

There is also a business license attached to their home phone number but I'm not getting anywhere with that.

Last edited:
Get a video camera and document the BS when it's going down. Once you get enough info send it to local police department anonymously as concerned citizen. Have your neighbors send similar letters with DVD videos as well.

If you live is a good town, once these dude get marked by the local cops they will either get busted, grow up, or move to where the local cops will tolerate them. Don't get in a pissing match with these loosers as you will become the focus of their childish attitudes and BS. Local cops don't help in these sitauation and you'd be better off fueling the fire and watching the sparks fly.

When dealing with assholes your unfortunately basically counting on the local authority to protect your rights, and peace and property. If you try and do anything on your own to protect your rights, constitutionally or leagally you'll run the risk of being labeled by the local cops that get involved. This is a crap shoot cause you can end up with a cop that will put you in alice in wonderland if called away from the donut shop to do his job.

Best be anonymous. Sooner or later the cops will have no one to chase around and come visit your neighbors at their leisure with the info you've documented well with the video camera.

Nice...are you sure they're not just Catholics?

:D

Wow! Spent about an hour checking out these folks on the OCSC site. If this is any indicator---

I purposely omitted names....

Traffic and Criminal Cases

Child #1
06/23/2002 23224(a) VC M Minor in possession of alcohol while driving

09/25/2003 23224(b) VC M Passenger under 21 in possession of alcohol in a vehicle

03/01/2005 22349(a) VC I Exceeding maximum speed of 65 MPH

08/03/2006 27315(d)(1) VC I Mandatory use of seat belts required

04/30/2007 9.08.010 ORMC I Human Waste (Public urination/defication?)

05/28/2007 27315(d)(1) VC I Mandatory use of seat belts required

07/28/2007 23152(a) VC M Driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs

07/28/2007 23152(b) VC M Drive while blood alcohol level is 0.08% or more

10/24/2007 40508(a) VC M Failure to appear

Child #2
08/05/2004 22350 VC I Unsafe speed for prevailing conditions

Child #3
05/04/2006 27315(d) VC I Drive without safety belt

Child #4
11/01/2006 22349(a) VC I Exceeding maximum speed of 65 MPH

Homeowner (father)
11/01/2006 16028(a) VC I Failure to provide proof of financial responsibility

Child #5
12/11/2008 21453(c) VC I Red arrow, driver shall not enter intersection

Child #6
01/31/2008 4000(a)(1)-NP VC I No evidence of current registration, no proof per VC 40610

01/31/2008 16028(a) VC I Failure to provide proof of financial responsibility

01/31/2008 27315(d)(1) VC I Mandatory use of seat belts required

03/05/2008 594(a)/(b)(2)(A) PC M Vandalism-less than $400 in damages

05/20/2008 853.7 PC M Failure to appear on written promise to appear

09/10/2009 484(a)-488 PC M Petty theft

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Civil Cases (P******= homeowner/s)

ARROW VS P******(DEFENDANT) OTHER/COLLECTIONS 02/28/2007 CIVIL - LIMITED

BLAIR VS P******(DEFENDANT) PI/PD - AUTO 09/16/2003 CIVIL

P******(PLAINTIFF) VS WAKEFIELD ETAL PI/PD - AUTO 10/18/1994 CIVIL

P******(PLAINTIFF) ETC ETAL VS MC MASTER ETAL PI/PD - AUTO 02/13/1990 CIVIL

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Small Claims Cases

COUNTY OF ORANGE, AUDITOR CONTROLLER VS. P******(DEFENDANT) 01/22/2008 SMALL CLAIMS

There is also a business license attached to their home phone number but I'm not getting anywhere with that.

If you live is a good town, once these dude get marked by the local cops they will either get busted, grow up, or move to where the local cops will tolerate them.

Not gonna happen. He mentioned that he's in Santa Ana, CA - and I can say from having spent time in and around that lovely 'burg that the cops likely (and unfortunately) have much more pressing issues to attend to.

The only thing that's likely to get them to take notice is the drug dealing, but even then unless they're part of an ongoing investigation (and there's solid proof that this is in fact what they're up to), I wouldn't expect much traction out of them. And given the court history presented here, I doubt that calling the Department of Health about the pool would result in much more than a bench warrant eventually being issued after they failed to comply for the umpteenth time with whatever order a visit resulted in. The stuff they've been in front of a judge for is largely penny-ante, and while it certainly paints a picture of what you're dealing with here, being an obvious waste of genetic material alone generally isn't enough for the police to start an investigation.

I don't want to make it out to sound like an unresolvable situation, but getting the authorities to take notice in the right way is going to be the key here. If this were a situation I was in, I'd be visiting the cops in person to make a formal complaint about the suspicious activities - and I'd also get as many of the neighbours involved as possible as well so that any subsequent complaints don't appear to be the rantings of that one guy in the neighbourhood who gets on the phone to the station when someone parks their car out front of his house. Bringing video shot over multiple days (make a DVD, and make copies for everyone who goes with you) to hand to them as part of the complaint would also be a good idea - if you hand them a disc or a tape as part of the complaint, it has to be noted as such and may help to strengthen a subsequent court case if it ends up going that far.

If you do go the video route, get the clearest shots of cars, licence plates, and drivers as you can. I'm almost willing to bet that some of these people coming by are already known to the local PD, and evidence of them just being at that location may lend enough credence to your claims to actually get them doing something about it.

Last edited:
So because their behavior isnt like what you expect from Mormons, they must not be Mormon?
Wouldn't determining someones religion solely on a description of their behavior be stereotyping?

Just goes to show that the first to cry bigot is usually the biggest one there

Nope... never said they couldn't be... acknowledged as much to the OP... hope that helps.

I'm not suggesting anything, but from an informational/education standpoint, a .22 CB cap fired from a long barreled(18" up) bolt action rifle makes less noise then a pellet gun. 'Never tried to see if a CB slug would penetrate a car tire, but it will take care of the "urban feral cat" problem, even if you live right next door to the fire department. Not that I would EVER try something like that,... and no, there is no particular reason I call that marlin .22 I have "the cat gun".

a 22 cb cap will tear right through canada geese so most likely a tire and they are VERY quiet

Back