• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with XJ bushwacker flares install

RE-xtremeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought a set of bushwhacker cut-out flares for my 01' XJ only to see the directions are less than to be desired. I have installed my RE 5.5" kit along with bumpers and rock rails, so the actual work is not the problem its really just the directions for cutting the fenders that makes me weary.

·For the front fenders, do you have to completely remove the body molding on the newer XJ’s or should I just try to cut it.

·When I make the cut, should I follow the portion of fender that is popped out for the factory flares or do you just trim the front and rear. (I have to fit my 34’s)

·In the factory directions it says to make a line 7 ¼” from the bottom rear of the fender, then in the provided illustration, it's marked at 5 ¼”?????

·Should I leave the bolt holes on the top of the fender like the illustration???

·And the directions for the rear are even worse!!

~~Please any info would be much appreciated; for the front or rear~~
Thanks -Mike

The directions DO suck. Check out Jason's write up here
Here's a pic of mine. I followed the directions in the write-up, and it turned out pretty well.
100_0373.jpg

Here's a link to a good write up on doing this. Click Here I did end up cutting more off the front than he did in this write up. I made the first cut exactly like his but after I mounted the flares, I wanted more. Like his pic shows in the write up, you could still see what was left of the fender inside the wheel well and I wanted all the clearance I could get in the front anyway. I cut to within an inch of the screw holes all the away around the front. In the back, I did the exact same thing as in the write up. I did, however, remove all the plastic trim down the side of my 1999. I debated on cutting the plastic front fender trim, but I opted to just remove it all. Then, I trimed the plastic bumper ends on the front following the flares line down and trimed the rear plastic bumper ends to butt up to the flares. There is one thing I did do that isn't in the write up. In the back where you fold over the metal, I put duro-glass (fiberglass reinforced bondo) over this area and sprayed rubberized undercoating over that. I live in PA and our roads get alot of salt in the winter and didn't want it to rust. I also undercoated the front fender where I cut all the way around up to the screw holes inside and out.

DSCF0019_001.jpg

DSCF0020_001.jpg

Last edited:
Back