• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEED HELP WITH STEERING

CherokeeNewbie

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, so I finally installed my long arm kit. Went out for TDS and found the goods and the bads. My biggest problem was that the steering is really jamming the sway bar mount. every time I flex and turn it bends the sway bar mount. is there an easy cheap fix for this or is it pretty much the expensive otk steering. thanks

What brand of L/A kit did you get?

It's the passenger side that is hitting right?

Hopefully someone can chime in with a cure. I'm afraid I won't be much help.

I have the BDS L/A kit. At first it bound up, but I went with the Currie steering and it no longer does. But that's hardly what most would consider a "cheap" option.

This may not be what you're looking for, but it might give you some ideas:

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoOTKSwaybarBrackets.htm

Good luck.

thanks for your help, I have an Iron Rock Offroad LA kit, and yes it is the passanger side. The link you showed was my first idea, just make a new bracket that hugs closer to the springs and away from the steering completley. Has anyone done this? does it sound legit to everyone

when i did mine i ended up having to shortin up my passenger side sway bar connection off the nuck.... works fine now...

i have that problem now with DB's and Short arms. I dont run the sway bars cause of it. It be nice to though. I think if the Sway bar links were taller it would be out of the way.

I have the same issue. With enough lift the draglink is at such an angle that it causes the two to rub. You can cut off the stock sway bar axle mounts and weld in taller ones or get a drop pitman arm to decrease the draglink angle.

I have custom TRE's that have a offset of about 7/8" built in to them that fit your application. or move the axle back to a more stock location for a free fix. the axle as it moves forward, that pivot of the DL to TR attachments moves closer to the axle.

i have a drop pitman and it didnt seem to help much. Robert, what is a TRE?

just a thought, but maybe converting to over the knuckle steering would help? im probably wrong... haha

You want to do it right? :)

I can set ya up with true high steer knuckles that fit the XJ/TJ, and arms for high steer, then you also get the benifit of a true hub and spindle assembly. Uses stock pre-1987 Dana 44 Chevy or Jeep spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, stub shafts, and lockouts. not cheap though.

OR you can get one of these for the passisde (this is the driverside offset) and that will move the tie rod out some. fits your stock size drag link and Dana 30 knuckles..
file_26_63_1.jpg

Or just adjust your control arms back some to move the axle back in to the more stock location and not so far forward...

You want to do it right? :)

I can set ya up with true high steer knuckles that fit the XJ/TJ, and arms for high steer, then you also get the benifit of a true hub and spindle assembly. Uses stock pre-1987 Dana 44 Chevy or Jeep spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, stub shafts, and lockouts. not cheap though.

OR you can get one of these for the passisde (this is the driverside offset) and that will move the tie rod out some. fits your stock size drag link and Dana 30 knuckles..
file_26_63_1.jpg

Or just adjust your control arms back some to move the axle back in to the more stock location and not so far forward...

Don't mean to high jack here.....
Going to have the same problem with my LA kit aswell. Where can i find this TRE? How strong is it offset like that? Would it be better to do both sides like this? Thanks

91 w/ 4.5 RC LA kit

Hey robert, how much for those? trying to see if buying those or getting ADJ LCA's will benefit me more.

well they no longer offer the metric (11/16") stock threaded size offset. Only a 7/8". Oh well.

I can still get ya the whole teraflex steering kit for a great deal.. and that kit Does use the 7/8" TRE's that are offset. but they will still require that you modify your front sway bar mounts a bit.

file_12_8.jpg

Back