• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with Lower Control Arm

I just went out and looked at it. The top of the control arm is actually hitting the shock mount on the passenger side (opposite side of the current problem). It is bottoming out and not allowing me to lower the axle any more on that side. I would rather not have to trim that though. I need to move the axle forward about half an inch. The only thing I could really attach the come-along to would be the front bumper...

It is standard procedure on a lifted XJ to cut or grind some off of the bottom lip of the shock mount to provide more clearance for the control arm. There is plenty of material there, removing enough to get better clearance isn't an issue. You can use a grinder to just grind on it, or a cut off wheel to cut a hunk off. You don't need to cut much off, just enough to let the axle drop the amount you need to use all of your shock length.

Alright I did the tire idea. Chalking it and pushing the body so the axle would move the amount I needed (it worked amazingly well). Just had my 2 bros push the front and I just shoved the bolt in once the hole lined up.

After having it completed and the jeep finally back on the ground I was looking at the control arms and saw the angle is terrible. The control arm is a quarter inch from the shock mount area (a speed bump could stop my flex). I have 4.5 coil springs from BDS and 2 inch spacers. The jeep is sitting on 31" BFG all terrains. I plan on getting 35" once I get gears in it. I don't think the increased tire size will help it level it out to much. Do you guys think I should get drop brackets which would take maybe a month (want to get gears and tires first). Or just cut the the mounting area? Im leaning towards the drop brackets, since cutting would still keep the horrible angle just allow more flex for the moment and even more flex if I got drop brackets.

Back