• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help organizing a charity trail ride

little red cheroke

NAXJA Forum User
I haven't posted in a while because I've been in the hospital most of the summer and have just recently been getting back into things.

On March 31, 2008 I was diagnosed with Arnold Chiari ( key-r-e) Malformation and Syringomyelia. Arnold Chiari is a brain malformation causing the cerebellum to get forced down into the spinal area, syringomyelia is a condition caused by the Chiari Malformation where spinal fluid builds up and creates a pocket in the spinal chord.

I had two brain surgeries over the summer to help correct the problem. I am still recovering but getting my life back has been hard work. I was in school at Middle Tennessee State University for aerospace. I spent most of my college savings on flight training only to end up being told it was all a waste and I would only be able to qualify for a 3rd class medical.Now I am changing to pre med, going to study to be either a neurosurgeon or ER doctor.

This condition has destroyed my life, along with approx 300,000 others in America and millions world wide (approx 1 in 1000 births). I've made it my mission in life to help others fight the battle.

I say all that to say this:

I've tried to get stuff going on campus to help raise money and awareness for Arnold Chiari but for some reason the University isn't wanting to help. I figured why not get the off road community involved. I doubt I am the only person with a Jeep that has been affected by this.

I'd like to organize a charity trail ride somewhere in TN, KY, or NC. (Wheelin' in the Country, Woolys, Turkey Bay, Grey Rock, or Tellico). Those are the places I've wheeld frequently in the past but I'm open to other suggestions. Only problem is I have no idea where to start. If anybody has any experience organizing a charity trail ride or anything like that I'd really appreciate some pointers.

Thanks for reading.
-David

I have no idea how to organise one but thought I would give you a thumbs up. I hope all is well and you get this together. I know someone over on nc4x4 put one together, I atteneded it, but I dont knwo who. I would start with sending out email to the different private parks. Might wnat to get on nc4x4 and send mail to Uwharrie stables, they have a bud pit and rock pile.

I'm a local at Gray Rock ORV in Alabama and could put a good word in for you to the owner. I'm sure he would "work" with you on renting the park. PM me if I can help.

x2 on the thumbs up!

I'm a local at Gray Rock ORV in Alabama and could put a good word in for you to the owner. I'm sure he would "work" with you on renting the park. PM me if I can help.

x2 on the thumbs up!

Yep I used to work for the owner of Gray Rock. I have done a couple charity rides before. One thing you need to check on is getting some sponsors to donate prizes for a raffle. I wouldn't mind helping . I have been to wooly's one time before and to Wheelin many times.

Josh

PM me if you have any questions, we do charity events at our local playground every now and then. We just finished a charity event last weekend. It was spur of the moment but we were able to raise a very nice amount for the folks we were helping. A raffle will bring in more money than anything, and you could sell the tickets in advance on forums and such, and have the folks that win arrange shipping, or be present to win.

Where ever it winds up, try to get in with the local clubs and local forums to "talk it up". I think that helps too. Been to a March of Dimes run at Morris Mountain...there was a good turn out.

Back