• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help finding electrical short

hidesintrees

NAXJA Forum User
Electrical is not my strong point, any of you good at finding electrical shorts? I need some help.

My cherokee wont start. I mean you turn the key to acc. and it works, you try to start it and the gages peg and nothing happens, starter doesnt even try. Battery has full charge.

Checked for blown fuses and looked for broken wires with no luck. it worked normal the day before, next day it gave me the finger. Any ideas or anyone want to give me a hand with this? Can pay in free Red Bull, Liqour, or Beer and maybe a high five if you find the problem :lol:

Located in West Linn.

Jump under there and jump the starter with a screwdriver

Make sure it will turn the motor over

My buddy's dodge would do what you are saying and it was a bad starter

I don't have to head to work till 1 I can swing by and give it a look

Along with all of the suggestions that have been made already, I have also seen the short ground cable from runs from the negative battery terminal to the sheet metal short out, on a few different XJ's.

You might try giving that wire a good shake or wiggle. Then try to start it, if it turns over or starts, that wire probably has some corrosion and should be replaced.

My 89 did this, I ran a wire from ignition to the starter with a monitary button, turn on the key hit the button and it should start right up. Its a good test to make sure your starter works.

Jump the solenoid to test the starter.

If the starter doesn't work, hit it with a hammer.

If the starter works, check to see if you're getting 12V to the smaller wire going to the starter when the key is turned.

If you are, hit it harder, or swap starters.

If you're not, it could be a few different things.

Ignition Switch: Sends power to the starter relay, which then powers the solenoid wire.
Neutral Safety Switch: Starting in neutral brought you no change so I doubt this is your issue, but search for ways of checking/bypassing to be sure.
Starter Relay: Try swapping the relays around to test if the relay is sticking.
Relay Wiring: This was an issue I had, my ground wire for the starter relay had come loose out of the connector. Try jumping/testing different wires to see which one isn't doing it's job.

The ignition/starting system really isn't too complicated once you understand how it all works. Let us know what you figure out.

We landed on the solenoid being toast. New starter should fix it, have power everywhere and it all pointed to the starter anyway. Started it up by jumping it with 12V.

Thanks for the helps guys!

Back