• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help, engine won't start

chemE1228

NAXJA Forum User
Had the 4.0l in my 1999 jeep xj sport rebuilt, installed it and now I can't get it started. It will roll over and I smell gas when rolling over, but it doesn't fire. I have replaced almost every sensor on the engine, the fuel injectors, and replaced the fuel pump. I set the timing, it has spark, but still nothing. I'm not sure where to go from here, anyone have any ideas?

As suggested already, go over your work and confirm there are no issues.

The PCM will re-boot and delete the idle settings if the battery is disconnected for a long period of time. You will have difficulty starting and will have to feather the gas pedal to get it to start, and then nurse it to stay running until the PCM re-learns the idle settings.

i have spark but will check timing and grounds. There is no check engine light and even hooked up reader to ecm and shows no faults. Thanks ill check a few things

As suggested already, go over your work and confirm there are no issues.

The PCM will re-boot and delete the idle settings if the battery is disconnected for a long period of time. You will have difficulty starting and will have to feather the gas pedal to get it to start, and then nurse it to stay running until the PCM re-learns the idle settings.

X2. I thought my IAC had failed during a head gasket repair.

Back