• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Correct Drum BrakeSpring Kit - 2000 XJ

As I posted earlier, it's not the adjuster cable that makes the difference.

It's the adjuster cable pivot bracket. The part that rests behind the drum brake spring. The inferior kits aren't made properly.

J3201947.jpg

Yeah I checked that bracket in the NAPA kit against the ones in the Advance kit. All of the pieces in each kit were identical. The color of the one you posted looks different. The ones in the kits I got have a silver bracket. I'll see if I can find a kit with that gold colored one, maybe that will make a difference.

Edit:

NAPA kit is on the left, Advance Auto kit is on the right. They even have the same part number on the bag.

IMG_2639.jpg

IMG_2638.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I should have clarified, the photo I posted above was just a random one to show what part I was talking about.

Strangely enough, the parts I got from NAPA that worked well appear to be exactly the same kit as you have.

Interesting.

I read a thread on another forum about that cable bracket not seating correctly in the brake shoe causing the same problem. The cable fell off the bracket a few times when I was trying to install it, so it is very possible that the bracket wasn't seated correctly. Once my friend has a day off I'll pop the drums off his Jeep and have another go at it.

Interesting.

I read a thread on another forum about that cable bracket not seating correctly in the brake shoe causing the same problem. The cable fell off the bracket a few times when I was trying to install it, so it is very possible that the bracket wasn't seated correctly. Once my friend has a day off I'll pop the drums off his Jeep and have another go at it.
The problem I found (as I think I''ve mentioned before) is that once the spring is inserted, it's nearly impossible to perceive the difference, because the spring holds the bracket in nearly the right place, but nearly just isn't close enough. In my experience, if you could get that bracket seated right and get it to stay seated when the spring goes in, it will stay, but it's easy to dislodge when you put the spring in.

The problem I found (as I think I''ve mentioned before) is that once the spring is inserted, it's nearly impossible to perceive the difference, because the spring holds the bracket in nearly the right place, but nearly just isn't close enough. In my experience, if you could get that bracket seated right and get it to stay seated when the spring goes in, it will stay, but it's easy to dislodge when you put the spring in.

I am trying to remember when I did my rears. Like I said did a complete brake job. Used all Napa parts and went for the better UP Line brake shoes. I think I remember that bracket fitting in there pretty snug. Mine job went with out a hitch and to the best of my knowledge is OK today. So if this is the cause could it be the hole in the brake shoe that the bracket goes into is not machined well on the shoes people that have this problem are using?

I am trying to remember when I did my rears. Like I said did a complete brake job. Used all Napa parts and went for the better UP Line brake shoes. I think I remember that bracket fitting in there pretty snug. Mine job went with out a hitch and to the best of my knowledge is OK today. So if this is the cause could it be the hole in the brake shoe that the bracket goes into is not machined well on the shoes people that have this problem are using?
I don't think it's the shoes, but the protruding part of the pivot. That's basically just an upset produced when the hole in it is punched, and on some cheap hardware it's shallow and ragged.

Yeah now that I know it is a potential problem I'll pay closer attention to that bracket.

The Napa kit worked for me this time around. Crazy! The drivers side isnt as engaged on the star wheel as I would like but I think it will work. I adjusted it on and off a few times and spun it backwards and forwards a bit and it didn't disengage.

Will be nice to have working rear brakes !

Last edited:
Update, drove it 65 miles today. Usually the rear brakes work for about 30 miles before backing off.

So the first time I did it, the drivers side was closer but still not touching. I found out the driver's side Napa cable was 9 3/4'' using the above method. It was about 1/8'' longer than the one I had on there before. The napa Adjusters seem to be slightly bigger too. Unless I am measuring wrong or hitting some sort of consistent measuring errors, I'd say the Napa adjuster wheels are 1/16'' bigger. Really odd.

So I now have the Centric cable with the Napa auto adjusters and cable guide on the drivers side

Wow! This thing stops! I never ran them all the way on before because I always figured that they would adjust themselves on, so I don't think they were even fully adjusted on. Combined with the fact that they would back off every time I pressed the brake pedal.

Update, drove it 65 miles today. Usually the rear brakes work for about 30 miles before backing off.

So the first time I did it, the drivers side was closer but still not touching. I found out the driver's side Napa cable was 9 3/4'' using the above method. It was about 1/8'' longer than the one I had on there before. The napa Adjusters seem to be slightly bigger too. Unless I am measuring wrong or hitting some sort of consistent measuring errors, I'd say the Napa adjuster wheels are 1/16'' bigger. Really odd.

So I now have the Centric cable with the Napa auto adjusters and cable guide on the drivers side

Wow! This thing stops! I never ran them all the way on before because I always figured that they would adjust themselves on, so I don't think they were even fully adjusted on. Combined with the fact that they would back off every time I pressed the brake pedal.

Nice! Yeah I'm curious how my friend's XJ will be with working rear brakes. It has never really had good brakes since he bought it. Mine stops like it has Brembos compared to his. :looney:

The strangest part for me is not having to press the brake pedal almost to the floor to get the brakes to do anything. With the rear brakes backed all the way off I would have to fill the wheel cylinders up and max them out before the fluid would start pressing on the front calipers ... the gas pedal would be almost all the way to the floor before there is any braking action. Now I can't even press them that far :O

Back