• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need an answer to whomp whomp noise

Sbaschn

NAXJA Forum User
Searched. Thinking it might be my drums or pads. Took it to the shop and was told it was the diff. Didn't even pull anything apart to tell me.

Started yesterday. Felt the xj lunge when driving and then felt normal. But I can hear a whomp whomp (repeat continuosly) noise while driving. No vibrations. Just the noise.

Am going to look at the whole rear end tonight. What do you think?:helpme:

Again....... trouble shooting posts require that we all know your rig's details: year, engine, trans, t-case, specific axles, lift and tires, lockers, etc.......

If you want to streamline this info, paid membership allows for use of the signature line - a perfect place to put your rig's details. :thumbup:

Issues with the brakes would likely be felt during or after having used the brakes. A lunge forward would suggest that there may be some binding of the rear drums and the "whomp" could be the shoes releasing after being stuck..... but if it's a repeated noise, it's not likely they're sticking, releasing, sticking, releasing.....

Could be a missing tooth on a ring gear or pinion and the "whomp, whomp" continuous noise could be gap causing a lash/surge in the driveline under torque........

Could also be a loose t-case chain.

:dunno:

Sorry about that Clark, Troy. 99 Cherokee. 8.25 Everything else is stock as far as driveline.

Rear problem. Checked for play in wheels (Bearings). Driver's side/rear moves in/away from center of axle. (pushing and pulling on wheel) No play otherwise. I haven't pulled the wheel off yet to check the drums.

Only a one time loss in power. Felt like heavy breaking. But now drives fine except for the grinding and whomp noise. It's consistant with the speed of the vehicle. Slow/when slow Faster/when driven faster.

It's got 195000 miles on it and I'm sure it was due for something like this.

First of the year I can get my membership. It's ok with the wifey then.

Last edited:
The end play of the axle shaft pulling in/out is actually normal. Yeah, it does feel wrong though.

I could see an 8.25 with nearly 200K miles on it being a bit worn out....... :laugh3:

Post up when you've looked in the drums and have pulled the diff cover...... let us know what you find. :thumbup:

Back