• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need a new steering setup (no drilling poss?)

I have the JCR 1 ton UTK, and i have no complaints at all, its very beefy. I have 5 inches of lift, and i have NO DEADSPOT.

Stay away from heim joints in the steering, especially if you drive this on the street alot.

TRE>Heims.

Get the JCR 1 ton utk, and be done with it, youll have no regrets.

I wouldnt install that kit on any street driven rig again. I was glad to be rid of it. at 4.5" It was godam scary on the highway. I think a drunk would have an easier time navigating a swerving jeep down the road. Pre steering every corner was necessary. I installed spacers and it helped for short term, they would wear and the death roll would be back, even quicker if your flexin out your rig. This kit also required aftermarket rims to fit. Just Sayin BEWARE.

I now run the Iron rock kit 5/8 upgrade, and am satisfied. Easy install strong and gets your steering higher than the bottom of the axle while retaining sway bar function

I have the JCR 1 ton UTK, and i have no complaints at all, its very beefy. I have 5 inches of lift, and i have NO DEADSPOT.

Stay away from heim joints in the steering, especially if you drive this on the street alot.

TRE>Heims.

Get the JCR 1 ton utk, and be done with it, youll have no regrets.

Do you have any personal experience with heims to back this up? Cause I've been running 3/4" ruffstuff heims in my steering, for two years on my DD, and have had zero problems, not one; and I know I'm not the only one. Quit spreading bunk info.

Last edited:
Do you have any personal experience with heims to back this up? Cause I've been running 3/4" ruffstuff heims in my steering, for two years on my DD, and have had zero problems, not one; and I know I'm not the only one. Quit spreading bunk info.
My heims have just noticeable play after over 18 months service , on and offroad, and through 2 salty canadian winters. I have 4 ruffstuff heims to install whenever I get to it. I have way more trust in a heim than a tre

You may not like the idea of a Currie set up but have you seen any one who owns one complain , I doubt it . How often do you add weight to the front of your Jeep and then remove it , most often if you add weight it stays there . Maybe you need to learn how to do your own front end alignment which is very easy and you will see why Currie is so popular with those who actually use it daily. If you are unsure of the alignment check this out . http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/end-all-all-tj-alignment-thread-long-read-663777/

curie: has expensive replacement parts, but otherwise a great setup...
jcr utk: requires drilling/reaming, but i run it, no dead spots either. people talk waay too much smack about it. cant argue with chevy 1-ton tre's.
ruggedridge: shit, ask bcmaxx or countless others, possibly the only jeep part that gets trashed, not re-sold. terrible kit from what i hear.

when it comes to heim's on a dd, i hear where twodoorxj is saying, i live right near the beach... heims get NASTY on my dd.... furthermore, i dont think the xj has enough suspension travel to need heims in the steering. THEN theres the fact that heims dont use a tapered bolt like a tre does.... potentially causing the heims bolt to roll/egg out if the bolt hole isnt perfect on the knuckle...

its all theoretical, someday when im pulling 16"+ of suspension travel, tre's wont be an option. all im saying is dont jump the gun switching to heim steering.

jcr utk: requires drilling/reaming, but i run it, no dead spots either. people talk waay too much smack about it. cant argue with chevy 1-ton tre's.

I also agree that people are making mountains out of mole hills when it comes to the dreaded "dead spot" of horror.
I drive a 1 ton, with crossover steering, all day everyday, for work. I know it has some tie rod roll, creating a slight dead spot in the steering, but it has never made driving the truck an issue.

when it comes to heim's on a dd, i hear where twodoorxj is saying, i live right near the beach... heims get NASTY on my dd.... furthermore, i dont think the xj has enough suspension travel to need heims in the steering. THEN theres the fact that heims dont use a tapered bolt like a tre does.... potentially causing the heims bolt to roll/egg out if the bolt hole isnt perfect on the knuckle...

its all theoretical, someday when im pulling 16"+ of suspension travel, tre's wont be an option. all im saying is dont jump the gun switching to heim steering.
Can't argue with experience and logic.

I decided heims where right for my application, and so far I haven't regretted my decision. I guess time will tell.

curie: has expensive replacement parts, but otherwise a great setup...

How is a $50 replacement Currie tie rod end that much worse than a quality ($40) tie rod end for OEM steering?

I also agree that people are making mountains out of mole hills when it comes to the dreaded "dead spot" of horror.
I drive a 1 ton, with crossover steering, all day everyday, for work. I know it has some tie rod roll, creating a slight dead spot in the steering, but it has never made driving the truck an issue.

The difference is the 1-ton truck probably isn't very tall is it? The higher angle the drag link is, the worse the roll will be since it's pushing down and pulling up while going side-to-side.

How is a $50 replacement Currie tie rod end that much worse than a quality ($40) tie rod end for OEM steering?

have you ever seen the currie steering?
see that bottom tre, the one built into the tie rod, on the passenger side? thats not a $40 napa tie rod, thats a 'call currie, and ask them how much' replacement.

see that bottom tre, the one built into the tie rod, on the passenger side? thats not a $40 napa tie rod, thats a 'call currie, and ask them how much' replacement.

That is the drag link not tie rod and yes, it is built in which appears to be a Currie only part.

You may not like the idea of a Currie set up but have you seen any one who owns one complain , I doubt it . How often do you add weight to the front of your Jeep and then remove it , most often if you add weight it stays there . Maybe you need to learn how to do your own front end alignment which is very easy and you will see why Currie is so popular with those who actually use it daily. If you are unsure of the alignment check this out . http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/end-all-all-tj-alignment-thread-long-read-663777/

He's changing it because he doesn't like the y link setup with a plow. He would stick with the stock stuff instead of dropping $400 on a steering setup that does the same exact thing.

Maybe you need to mount and dismount a plow multiple times a year and realign every time and you will see why he wants to change it...

Last edited:

:laugh2: I've run Currie steering for 8 years or so.

You;re talking about the drag link. And a stock replacement is still $90 for that. At Currie, that piece is only $120.

Do this: piece together a whole stock Moog or Napa Chassis system, see what the price is. Not that Omix-Ada garbage. You'll find the Currie setup is a great value.

You've got to play to play there, Sparky. :)

you mentioned the Rusty's kit earlier.

I am running that kit, have been for about a year and a half. it is really stout, I have taken quite a few hits on mine and it only has a slight bend in the tie-rod after assaulting a rocky climb and misjudging my approach angle... it stopped the Jeep dead :gee:

the only issue I have with it is that his TRE's are junk. I called him and asked him what to do about it, he said go with Moogs, he admitted that they are better but he does not include them with the kit because he can't get a discount and it would double the cost of the unit.

the Rusty's TRE's wore out after 8months of DD/ weekend wheeling, now I have moogs and they are tight. plus this system can easily be flipped to the top of the knuckle on the drivers side if you trim the sway bar and re-ream your knuckle

Back