• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a 98-up manual XJ vin

Oh, I thought you were saying you did it. My apologies.

I don't think it'll work as experience and research dictates otherwise, but it costs nothing to try, so might as well I guess.

Has anyone done the swap on a 97+ cherokee and overcame the shift console trim issue? (made it look good too)

what console trim are you referring to?

I am talking about the trim piece that on a automatic would identify the gear selection and would cover where the shifter comes through. 98+ is different from the older styles. I just ran into a problem! I cannot use a 2WD engine harness for a 4WD. It's obvious why now that I think about it. Anyone have a harness for one??

You can use a 2wd engine harness for a 4wd no problem, you just have to extend the 3 wires in the harness for the VSS connector and add in the wires for the transfer case indicator switch. Not that big a deal since you'll already be under there to wire the reverse light switch on the manual into the R switch pins for the NSS, and jumper the P/N pins on the NSS or wire them to the clutch safety switch that may or may not have come with the late model pedal box.

If you don't care about the transfer case indicator light on the IP working, you can skip that step. I'm not sure if you will be able to wire only a few feet from the switch to the connector where the transmission wiring drops down, or will have to go all the way into the cab. I may be able to find time to check later if I can figure out where I left my 98 FSM.

Oh, I thought you were saying you did it. My apologies.

I don't think it'll work as experience and research dictates otherwise, but it costs nothing to try, so might as well I guess.

No need to apologize. I know you are trying to help.

I haven't had a chance to mess with a 97+ so I can't say for sure one way or the other. One thing I do know is that there are many things the pcm has to learn after a battery disconnect. I know that the majority of transmission functions are controlled by the tcm. So it may be possible to run it like I am suggesting, maybe not. Learn by trial and error rather than just following the common internet wisdoms. Naxja is full of good information that people learned by doing, not just reading.

I am talking about the trim piece that on a automatic would identify the gear selection and would cover where the shifter comes through. 98+ is different from the older styles.

It comes built into the shift boot. I know I ordered one back in 08 from a Chrysler parts site when I swapped a 97+ console into my 94

On the wire harness conversion I have the manual trans / transfer case lines from the '92 disconnected. You stated that I add the wires into the harness. I pulled up the transmission wiring diagram on Mitchell, but there is nothing stated for manual transmissions. Not even wire colors are any help. Any other info?

Could I get a 98+ wrangler 4.0 manual 4wd wiring harness and use it in a Cherokee?

I agree with Kastein that you really don't need a new wiring harness. What is it that you are missing?

If you have access to the FSM wiring diagrams, just modify the existing auto trans wiring to suit your needs.

What I would like to do is allow the 4WD lights in the cluster to work. I know it is difficult, but I enjoy the extremes. The way I see it, I have already converted a 2WD auto to a 4WD manual, added ABS, and have plans to modify the chassis later on. What's the extra work compared to that?

I'm pretty sure a wrangler harness is going to be completely different, especially as the ECU is on the wrong side of the engine compartment, depending on year it may need you to swap emissions equipment, precats, etc as well or fool around with all that stuff. Much more work than it's worth.

Making the transfer case indicator lamp work should require no more than splicing and extending two wires, I need to look at my FSM (if I can find it) to find out exactly how far back you'll need to go in the harness to get at them. IIRC it is really not far, and you should be able to use a junkyard "cut" of a harness to make it plug and play, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

If you're competent with a crimper it's probably a 20 minute project at most. May need to put a bulb in the socket in the instrument cluster but I believe it's prepopulated on all of them to save inventorying two clusters.

Anything you can find me would be great. I planned on soldering all the connections and covering the harness with a cold shrink tape. For some reason the previous owner cut off the upstream 02 harness as well. Pin out on the PCM is no issue, but from there my available info gets fuzzy. BTW if there is any modifications to improve these vehicles, please let me know.

Bump.

I picked up a 99 4WD auto transmission / transfer case harness. At this point I jumped Park/neutral wire to ground. I can drive it, but would like to correct it.

Bump.

I picked up a 99 4WD auto transmission / transfer case harness. At this point I jumped Park/neutral wire to ground. I can drive it, but would like to correct it.

Is your check engine light on? What code did it set?

I hooked my P/N wiring up to my clutch switch so it wouldn't set the "No change in P/N switch" code would go away.

EDIT: Code P1899 P/N switch stuck in park or gear.
The PCM needs to see the P/N switch go from park to a gear position before seeing a change in MAP sensor voltage/load. P/N wiring shorted = park, wiring open = in gear.

Last edited:
Back