• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Narrow versus wide 33" tires...?

Do you think 33x10.5 would work well on a 3 inch lift with aggressive cutting? What kind of backspacing would be best? I need new tires too and I like the idea of a narrow tire, except for sand of course.

no problems on sand here, i thought they'd dig more than my 31x10.5s but they dont at all. the cherokees are relatively light next to other modded trucks on a 33" tall tire.

3" lift, eccos with 1.25" spacers

3591712378_e6abf1a1d4.jpg

2782106829_2f1bedf408.jpg

The only thing that sucks about the new KM2's is that they dont have the bead protection like the old MT's,otherwise they ROCK!

Do you think 33x10.5 would work well on a 3 inch lift with aggressive cutting? What kind of backspacing would be best? I need new tires too and I like the idea of a narrow tire, except for sand of course.

Yes they will work well.
I'm running 2.5" lift and 33x10.5's on stock steel rims.
Along with fender trim, you'll need to BFH the rear wheel wells a little, and bumpstop front to keep the tires from rubbing the wheel wells.
Don't forget to BFH the seems flat inside the front wheel wells (once you've removed the plastic wheel well liner out you will see.)

I would go with Front Bump Stops and agressive Cutting. I would use RE Bump Stops and this Truss with raised Bump Stop Pads. As for Back Spacing, 15x8 with 3.75 BS should do the trick IMHO. You may try the Similar Threads at the bottom of the page as well.

I would suggest getting Front Bump Stop Extensions from Rubicon Express that bolt to the bottom Spring Perches as opposed to extending the length of the Factory Bump Stops. The problem with extending the Factory Set is that they can get hung up in your Springs while flexing. I have broke a Daystar Extended Bump Stop off before.

Yes, one could use Hockey Pucks, too. IMHO

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Jeep/XJ/Products.aspx?folder=XJBS

324.jpg

IMG_5042b.jpg

XJ Axle Truss

Code: IR-XD44T
Price: $99.99

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...en=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-XD44T

Available For
Dana 44
Dana 35
Chrysler 8.25
Ford 8.8

Precision laser cut from 1/4" steel plate and capped with 1 1/2" x 1/4" steel bar. This new truss is designed to prevent your Dana 44 from bending under severe load while off roading. Complete with 2.5" raised bump stop pads! We recommend at least 2.5" of lift over stock height in the rear to accomodate the new truss.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is also available for Chrysler 8.25, Dana 35, and Ford 8.8. Please allow about 2 weeks for these versions.

Kit includes: 1 "ready to weld" XJ Dana 44 rear axle truss with detailed instructions.

NOTE: This product requires welding to your axle tube. Please exercise extreme caution or have a qualified professional do the installation

IMG_3331b.jpg

what about 35x10.5? I've only been able to find 1 tire of this size (interco SSRs), would a 35x10.5 SSR be better than a 33x10.5 KM2 (or other similar MT)?

what about 35x10.5? I've only been able to find 1 tire of this size (interco SSRs), would a 35x10.5 SSR be better than a 33x10.5 KM2 (or other similar MT)?

To compare tires of different sizes would depend on use, gear ratios, lift size, fender modification, bump stop length, etc.

Both tire styles are awesome. Depends on preference. IMHO

Hate to add fuel to the fire...so to speak, but, I'm running an '89 with minor trimming, 3" of lift, and 33x10.5's on 15x7 rims with 4" backspacing. I only had to change the backspacing from stock when I installed my Ford 8.8 in the rear (had clearance issues with leaf springs). I love the 10.5's...tuck under nicely, handle well on the highway (BFG AT's), and work well in the winter snow/ice (love the NP242 for that).

Here in Montana, we wheel a lot of rocks (sharp, cutting kind), snow (love the spring/summer mountain snow pack), and a little mud. I keep up with the big boys...and I think the ATs work better in the snow than the MT's.

Just my $0.02

Hate to add fuel to the fire...so to speak, but, I'm running an '89 with minor trimming, 3" of lift, and 33x10.5's on 15x7 rims with 4" backspacing. I only had to change the backspacing from stock when I installed my Ford 8.8 in the rear (had clearance issues with leaf springs). I love the 10.5's...tuck under nicely, handle well on the highway (BFG AT's), and work well in the winter snow/ice (love the NP242 for that).

Here in Montana, we wheel a lot of rocks (sharp, cutting kind), snow (love the spring/summer mountain snow pack), and a little mud. I keep up with the big boys...and I think the ATs work better in the snow than the MT's.

Just my $0.02
Is your 8.8 from an Explorer? Is it narrower than a stock Jeep XJ axle or wider? A friend and I are in an ongoing argument, I say it's narrower because that's what I read somewhere, he says it's wider.
Anyway, as far as narrow vs. wide, IMO wider tires will "float" over mud. Pizza cutters do just that, cut into whatever they go into. However a pizza cutter might be better to flex around, stuff into the wheelwell I think. I guess it depends on your type of wheeling.

I've had 33 x12.50 and 35 x 9.50 on my CJ5. Both tires I'm speaking of were bias ply tires. Note that all driving was on crappy louisiana roads and in mud or on muddy trails, as no other terrain was available.

Tracking.
Advantage Narrow tire. Roads in La. sink (something about building things on jello) and the blacktop will actually become rutted. The wider tires caused severe wandering dangerous wandering under braking conditions (like suddenly swerving into parking lots or oncoming traffic if I had to hit the brakes in badly rutted areas). The swap to the taller narrow tire completely eliminated this handling characteristic.

Wet traction.
Wet road traction is all about contact pressure, the wider tires didn't have it. On the wider tires my roommate once tried to turn in to traffic and instead completed a donut in the middle of the road. I was actually in an accident because of the tires. I pumped the brakes several times and just kept sliding very slowly right into someone. Hydroplaning was a thing of the past with the narrow tires.

Mud.
Though not a completely fair comparisson in the same terrain (a rice pond) the Narrow tires cut through to solid bottom and I kept up with the big boys. The wider tires prevented sinking, but also prevented fast forward progress, the going was slower and the constant rocking back and forth to maintain momentum caused my rear axle to separate. With Narrow tires I was offered 2 grand on the spot for the jeep, with wide tires I had to leave the jeep there because a wheel fell off. The narrow tires proved their prowess in Louisiana mud several times where the wider tires left me hunting for traction.

Rocks.
Never tried them in that jeep.

Oh, and the 8.8 is narrower. I have spacers on the rear to match the width of my stock front 30

its narrower

Oh, and the 8.8 is narrower. I have spacers on the rear to match the width of my stock front 30
Thanks.
I might actually want to go with an old school style mudder if I could. I've seen a few old trucks with those narrow tires. I just looked at the rear of my Jeep and with 32x11.50s on 15x8 Ravines I can't really fit my hand between the leaf spring and tire. I'm sure if I went with a 33x12.50 I would almost contact the leaf springs.

I notice the 33x10.50 BFG KM2s are hard to find or out of stock online. Has anyone found a set recently?

I notice the 33x10.50 BFG KM2s are hard to find or out of stock online. Has anyone found a set recently?

They just dont sell as many as the 12.50's so they have less on stock.Im waiting on a replacement one right now from Discount(we go thru this every time).

As far as looks, I think narrow tall tires look awesome. You get that expedition or military look instead of the redneck look. 235/85R16 tires are popular on Expeditionportal

Last edited:
Any body run 33x9.5's? I have an almost brand new set on my fj60 that's not currently doing anything other than collecting dust. Just wondering if they would look too skinny or have fittment issues on stock wheels.

I have RE 4.5" and some fender trimming.

Any body got pics of super skinnies on an xj?

Back