• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My XJ's cat convert is a rattling...magnaflow cat ???'s

AZ XJ said:
I've got a 96, and my cat started rattling also about a month ago.. it's been driving me insane. What steps would I have to take to get this fixed as part of the recall? Do I have to show proof of a recall or anything like that? Sorry if im a little naive about about the process, but taking something to a dealership is totally foreign to me.

Just call your local Jeep dealership? :dunno:
:D

I also have a 96 my cat rattles so loud I could hear it in the waiting room during my recall. They then siad to me they wont replace it on recall becuase it passed the back pressure test. This is while they are yelling over the loud rattle. Needless to say it is still ratting the recall i just BS in my book. I did get free set of rotors though.

Chris

Bluexj96 said:
I also have a 96 my cat rattles so loud I could hear it in the waiting room during my recall. They then siad to me they wont replace it on recall becuase it passed the back pressure test. This is while they are yelling over the loud rattle. Needless to say it is still ratting the recall i just BS in my book. I did get free set of rotors though.

Chris

Yea, I pretty much figure I'll get the run around should I take it in.. but I was able to track down a TSB on the NHTSA website, so it does exist. But this rattle has got to go..

When you purchased your XJ ,was it new,-ie are you the original owner? If not and it was used did you notify DC that you were the new owner(form in owners manual).If not it may take awhile for DC to track you down thru the state DMV.
But there is a recall and they will replace it if it rattles,no back pressure test needed.They will reimburse for a replacement that was done prior to the recall if you have the paper work.
I replaced mine with a Walker direct fit unit for about $120 nothing had to be cut off,just remove the clamps ,remove pipes and install.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
When you purchased your XJ ,was it new,-ie are you the original owner? If not and it was used did you notify DC that you were the new owner(form in owners manual).If not it may take awhile for DC to track you down thru the state DMV.
But there is a recall and they will replace it if it rattles,no back pressure test needed.They will reimburse for a replacement that was done prior to the recall if you have the paper work.
I replaced mine with a Walker direct fit unit for about $120 nothing had to be cut off,just remove the clamps ,remove pipes and install.
Wayne

Thank you very much, that was the kind of info I was looking for. No, I'm not the original owner, but I purchaced it from the original owner who kept VERY meticulous records. But I had no idea about the form in the owners manual, I'll grab mine and take a look. Thank's for the info, I'm still pretty sure they aren't gonna exactly be eager to replace it for me, but shoot.. if they'll replace it I'll jump through the hoops.

I've been using either PFP or Catco converters for replacements on my RENIX without any trouble.

With OBD-II, you're going to need that second HEGO sensor (or a simulator...) - all you need is a bung somewhere shortly downstream of the cat.

Cut the flange off of the OEMR cat, and weld a pipe stub to it. Fix up the cat, and either select it with a HEGO bung in it (it's a standard thread - M18 x 1.5, I think) or just have a bung welded in a short pipe and put it in between the cat and the muffler.

There's less needed than you think - just a little welding, and maybe some drilling (Hell, you can probably get a short pipe stub with a HEGO bung already welded in, for all I know...)

5-90

took my cousins off his 96 couse his was rattiling....no codes have poped up....we just zipped ties the sensor up outta the way...course i got lucky with my 87 didnt have a cat...but i busted the guts outta the one on my truck and i love it couse it appears that i have one but it is hollow..and i got some good low end power outta it also...

256offroad said:
took my cousins off his 96 couse his was rattiling....no codes have poped up....we just zipped ties the sensor up outta the way...course i got lucky with my 87 didnt have a cat...but i busted the guts outta the one on my truck and i love it couse it appears that i have one but it is hollow..and i got some good low end power outta it also...

Considering that I've noted improvements in power (Butt Dyno readings) and a significant decrease in tailpipe emissions (per the California Air Police,) I can honestly suggest that having the catalytic converter replaced with a suitable unit is a good thing.

What's suitable? I've been using units spec'd for Big Block Chevvy, with the proper pipe size, for about four rigs now. No trouble at all.

I bring this up because of the environmentalist image of us as beer-swilling Neanderthals who just don't give a damn about the environment - and I look for opportunities to prove them as wrong as possible. This is a "positive image" thing - if you talk about your hollowed-out cat and they overhear you, it will get noted. If you talk about how you've improved performance and decreased emissions, they'll note that as well - and you score a point for us (especially if you should happen to mention it in public forum. I've brought it up with CARB - the California Air Police - in open forum. Didn't change their minds, but it got noticed - which is what I wanted.)

I'm just saying this as a bit of friendly advice - not all of the repercussions of your actions are things you're going to note straight away, and we're in for uphill work with the "air quality" issue. The more points you can score for our side, the better we'll all look - and that's definitely A Good Thing!

5-90

5-90 said:
Considering that I've noted improvements in power (Butt Dyno readings) and a significant decrease in tailpipe emissions (per the California Air Police,) I can honestly suggest that having the catalytic converter replaced with a suitable unit is a good thing.

What's suitable? I've been using units spec'd for Big Block Chevvy, with the proper pipe size, for about four rigs now. No trouble at all.

I bring this up because of the environmentalist image of us as beer-swilling Neanderthals who just don't give a damn about the environment - and I look for opportunities to prove them as wrong as possible. This is a "positive image" thing - if you talk about your hollowed-out cat and they overhear you, it will get noted. If you talk about how you've improved performance and decreased emissions, they'll note that as well - and you score a point for us (especially if you should happen to mention it in public forum. I've brought it up with CARB - the California Air Police - in open forum. Didn't change their minds, but it got noticed - which is what I wanted.)

I'm just saying this as a bit of friendly advice - not all of the repercussions of your actions are things you're going to note straight away, and we're in for uphill work with the "air quality" issue. The more points you can score for our side, the better we'll all look - and that's definitely A Good Thing!

5-90

Understood...but to begin, it was not my intention to remove it...just replace it with and OE spec and style unit.

try these people www.ecatalyticconverter.com
Purchased mine from them ,they had 4 types to chose from.The walker direct fit ,did just that NO problem.Took more time to put it on the lift than to change the cat.
Wayne

Dzl DV8 said:
Mine came from Summit. CATCO.
I don't remember the price because I bought a bunch of other stuff, IIRC it was less than $100 and a direct replacement.

I'll second the CatCo from Summit--just put mine on this weekend along with the Dynomax cat-back system, also from Summit--it was a tad over $200 for everything and it all went together painlessly (after sawzalling off the old muffler and clamps).

VDoubleUVR6 said:
Yes daily it is and even if I "cut it off" or even cleaned it out, the CEL would come on as my XJ is an OBDII and it would detect something wrong as it being wide open or completely missing.

Not necessarily true..... On my 2000, the honeycomb all broke free and was actually blowing to the exit and blocking my exhaust flow to the point of having almost no power under throttle. I took mine off, and cleaned out the housing, then put the bare housing back on the exhaust.

My 2000 did not have an O2 sensor after the cat (neither does my 2001) so the computer has no way of telling if I have a cat or not. Nothing is measured (in this configuration) beyond the pre-cats at the exhaust manifold.

We argued to great lengths on the Colorado4x4 board about weather or not a 4.0 without a cat will pass emissions or not. There were ton of people who said there was no way.

Here in Colorado, we are emissions tested on a Dyno up to about 60mph. My emissions were low enough that I had a fast pass (extremely low emissions enough to pass without finishing the whole test). Also, having the Cat housing made sure you passed the visual inspection for emissions components.

This is my experience, and it may differ for other people. (but it is first hand experience, not I heard a friend of a friend of a friend that burned up his engine because he took his cat off)

Now, if you have a system that has an 02 sensor after the cat, ignore what I've said. The computer will be able to tell, and the CEL will probably come on.

Hey I might be able to save you some money. Awhile ago I bought several universal Magnaflow high flow converters and ended up with 2 left. I do remember we put one on a TJ. But they're the 94115 cat that's 13"long, 9"body length, 6.5" high and 4" wide with 2.27ID inlet and outlets (for slipping over 2.25OD exhaust).

I honestly have no clue what I paid for them and they're just sitting there in the boxes collecting dust. Anything around $40/ea shipped to your door would work for me. I really need to go through some stuff, while I was checking those out a minute ago I found new sparkplugs, dist. cap/rotor for HO 4.0, power steering hoses....

ROKRWLR said:
Not necessarily true..... On my 2000, the honeycomb all broke free and was actually blowing to the exit and blocking my exhaust flow to the point of having almost no power under throttle. I took mine off, and cleaned out the housing, then put the bare housing back on the exhaust.

My 2000 did not have an O2 sensor after the cat (neither does my 2001) so the computer has no way of telling if I have a cat or not. Nothing is measured (in this configuration) beyond the pre-cats at the exhaust manifold.

We argued to great lengths on the Colorado4x4 board about weather or not a 4.0 without a cat will pass emissions or not. There were ton of people who said there was no way.

Here in Colorado, we are emissions tested on a Dyno up to about 60mph. My emissions were low enough that I had a fast pass (extremely low emissions enough to pass without finishing the whole test). Also, having the Cat housing made sure you passed the visual inspection for emissions components.

This is my experience, and it may differ for other people. (but it is first hand experience, not I heard a friend of a friend of a friend that burned up his engine because he took his cat off)

Now, if you have a system that has an 02 sensor after the cat, ignore what I've said. The computer will be able to tell, and the CEL will probably come on.

Here in CT OBD2 cars emissions are check through the diagnostic port...most likely a CEL will fail your vehicle. And I was stating through experience only...I know that VW's (I'm a big VW guy) that are OBD2 and run without cat's after a few days the CEL will come on and I'm sure with other makes are the same.

I'm taking a guess that Jeep's second O2 sensor (post cat) doesn't do its job in monitoring the cat's efficency very well from your experience and thats what I thought the recall for '96 4.0L's was for in which fixes that.

Also I know that my girlfriends brothers '95 ZJ 4.0L passed the dyno/sniffer emissions test with flying colors on a empty cat. My girlfriends dad was tired of buying new cat (that was the second that went bad) so it pulled down the cat and cleaned what was left of the honeycomb and threw it back in...no more rattle, no more $$$ spent on replacing cats after cats and it passes emissions without a problem.

And how do your Jeep's not have and O2 after the cat? Aren't they US OBD2 running vehicles? If thats the case then I guess my CEL should be comin on soon because I know my XJ has an O2 after the cat.

Last edited:
VDoubleUVR6 said:
Here in CT OBD2 cars emissions are check through the diagnostic port...most likely a CEL will fail your vehicle. And I was stating through experience only...I know that VW's (I'm a big VW guy) that are OBD2 and run without cat's after a few days the CEL will come on and I'm sure with other makes are the same.

I'm taking a guess that Jeep's second O2 sensor (post cat) doesn't do its job in monitoring the cat's efficency very well from your experience and thats what I thought the recall for '96 4.0L's was for in which fixes that.

Also I know that my girlfriends brothers '95 ZJ 4.0L passed the dyno/sniffer emissions test with flying colors on a empty cat. My girlfriends dad was tired of buying new cat (that was the second that went bad) so it pulled down the cat and cleaned what was left of the honeycomb and threw it back in...no more rattle, no more $$$ spent on replacing cats after cats and it passes emissions without a problem.

And how do your Jeep's not have and O2 after the cat? Aren't they US OBD2 running vehicles? If thats the case then I guess my CEL should be comin on soon because I know my XJ has an O2 after the cat.

i think summit used to sell a gadget that sent a ok signal from the 02 senor, or replaced it so that you didnt get throw o2 codes or other false codes. Ya might look into that, i have no idea who made it or what it was called, call and ask the tech support , they would know.

also

XJumpmaster said:
Ive got to do emissions this month so i might be interested! PM me the details please!

dont have to pass them myself, so i cant speak for how well it works on emissions but be sure to try some seafoam in the crank case then change oil, and or berrymans B12 chemtool in the gas and drive it till its empty. Jumpmaster if your cat isnt fouled up from running a rich gas mix and isnt just old and tired from a 100,000 mile life you should be fine. I wouldnt change it out in suspicion of failing, i would make em fail me first. Not sure if you were super paranoid or that was just an "well if i fail" i am gonna look at getting a new cat, sorta thought.

motorcityxj said:
i think summit used to sell a gadget that sent a ok signal from the 02 senor, or replaced it so that you didnt get throw o2 codes or other false codes. Ya might look into that, i have no idea who made it or what it was called, call and ask the tech support , they would know.

also

dont have to pass them myself, so i cant speak for how well it works on emissions but be sure to try some seafoam in the crank case then change oil, and or berrymans B12 chemtool in the gas and drive it till its empty. Jumpmaster if your cat isnt fouled up from running a rich gas mix and isnt just old and tired from a 100,000 mile life you should be fine. I wouldnt change it out in suspicion of failing, i would make em fail me first. Not sure if you were super paranoid or that was just an "well if i fail" i am gonna look at getting a new cat, sorta thought.

Yea I believe they are call O2 simulators...a lot of the ricers talk and use them when they turbo their cars and eliminate the cats. I'm not looking to go down that route. I just want to fix the problem but with a product that is not going to give me problems a year or two down the road.

And as far as the rattling cat and emissions goes (like said above)...just go get the Jeep tested with it rattling. I went last weekend with my Jeep and it obviously passed the diagnostic port test with the rattling cat and I bet it would pass the dyno/sniffer test too if my XJ had to have the emissions tested that way.

VDoubleUVR6 said:

Both the 2001 I have now and the 2000 I used to have did not have a O2 after the cat. I have an O2 sensor on each bank of the exhaust manifold (header) just after teh pre-cats. So, 2 O2 sensors total. Maybe there was a change somewhere in the later model years???? It is OBD-II.

Did all OBD-II years have pre-cats on the exhaust manifold? Maybe they made the switch in O2 locations when they included the pre-cats in the emmissions system?

i'll post this here instead of starting a new thread. I have a loud rattle coming from either the cat or the muffle. The weird part is, it only happens when its cold out, lets say under 50*. In the warm weather I hear nothing.

Any ideas?

Back