• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My XJ's cat convert is a rattling...magnaflow cat ???'s

VDoubleUVR6

NAXJA Forum User
I posted this on JeepForum.com but that place is slow. I bet I would get ALOT more hits here.

For about a week now the cat on my XJ has started this rattling noise. As it warms up it stops rattling but I'd like to be proactive and fix it before it gives me grief on the road as I travel almost 50 miles a day alone to and from work.

Now I did a search here on the forums and found a bunch of people talking about Magnflow Hi-flow cats but they are the universal fit ones so that would require some welding to give it the extra length needed to fit in the factory location.

I went to summitracings website and saw they have a Magnaflow as a direct replacement for $101.

Has anyone installed this one? Worth it? Any good?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MPE%2D23226&N=700+4294908280+4294908279+4294924677+4294867633+115&autoview=sku

mpe-23226_w.jpg

Cats

The typical chain muffler shop (Midus- Monroe) wanted 400+ for a new cat for my 96 XJ, plus intsallation and a disposel fee for the old one. So yeah $100. is a good deal provided you can get the old one off without a torch.

I purchased a walker direct replacement from rockauto.com ($108.), which looks just like that dynomax and went with the rustys cat back system and the flowmaster 40. All together saving my self a whole lot of money...

kewlkatdady said:
cut it off...

unless its a DD...

then yes this seems like a fine choice

Yes daily it is and even if I "cut it off" or even cleaned it out, the CEL would come on as my XJ is an OBDII and it would detect something wrong as it being wide open or completely missing.

Thats why I'm looking for something that is reasonably priced and easily bolt on in place of the old factory one.

I was just inquirying about the above magnaflow one to see if anyone else had any issues with it.

I had that cat on my XJ and it was fine while it lasted, but it only lasted 2 years before I couldn't pass emissions and had to replace it.

VDoubleUVR6 said:
For about a week now the cat on my XJ has started this rattling noise. As it warms up it stops rattling but I'd like to be proactive and fix it before it gives me grief on the road as I travel almost 50 miles a day alone to and from work.

I went to summitracings website and saw they have a Magnaflow as a direct replacement for $101.

Has anyone installed this one? Worth it? Any good?

The rattling is the honeycomb part that gets superheated and burns up your exhaust gases is whats rattling.

Are you concered about quality or fitment ? Not an issue works great, my dad is a fuel system programmer and engineer for all the big three at one point, he says its perfectly fine substitute and the OE is nothing special at all.

yes its a fair price and a good product compared to original equipment cats priced unrealisticly. I have a magnaflow cat from summit and a catco one from summit
you can cut your old pipe off easy with a $27 4" ryobi angle grinder from homedeopt go get some correct diameter universal pipes from autozone, and gitter done. Not hard.

If you take the part to a local independent muffler shop I think they would clamp it up and weld it or whatever you want for around $50 if you bring the new cat in.

If your debating getting a pricey one, i wouldnt magnaflow makes good quality products across their entire line as far as i am concered. I dont know what a more expensive one could possibly offer you , there is no moving parts.

jeepster09 said:
Why buy one? There is a recall on these from Jeep for coming apart and rattling.

I thought that was 96 only? I know my friend with his 96 is STILL waiting (2 months and counting) for the local dealer to get his in stock so they can replace it and flash the ECU with the updated software.

I got that cat for my 94 from summit when I did the hole exhaust but it was 2 1/2 inch systm it fit in there great.

VDoubleUVR6 said:
I thought that was 96 only? I know my friend with his 96 is STILL waiting (2 months and counting) for the local dealer to get his in stock so they can replace it and flash the ECU with the updated software.

I own a '96 and got a recall notice for this situation recently. The paperwork states that the recall is for 1996, 1997, and 1998. Mine rattles like crazy. I haven't taken it in yet, as I figure they'll try to stick it to me for a new muffler, tailpipe, etc. The paperwork says:

NOTE: This recall does not include the replacement of other exhaust system components. If other exhaust system components require replacement, the associated repair costs are your responsibility.

I'm afraid my free recall work will turn into a major expense when I show up to pick my finished vehicle up.

Last edited:
I don't have a cat on my XJ and my check engine light does not come on. Cut it off and piece some exhaust pipe in, that would be your cheapest route.

1993 Red XJ said:
I don't have a cat on my XJ and my check engine light does not come on. Cut it off and piece some exhaust pipe in, that would be your cheapest route.

i think obd2 need it or you get codes and it needs two o2 sensors.

If your jeep has less than 100k miles on it i think they have to replace the cat for free regardless of the recall. Dont know, just what i heard never had one fail that early and most of my vehicles i bought with 100k miles already on them.:D never even owned anything OBD2 yet either lol.

1993 Red XJ said:

That's because you have OBDI equipment on your 93, if your user name is accurate.
*Oops on the dup.*

Last edited:
I took the cat off my 97. No check engine light in last 50K miles. And even if it did come on, I was told by the shop there was a trick sensor available somewhere. Havent had to go that route yet.

motorcityxj said:
i think obd2 need it or you get codes and it needs two o2 sensors.

If your jeep has less than 100k miles on it i think they have to replace the cat for free regardless of the recall. Dont know, just what i heard never had one fail that early and most of my vehicles i bought with 100k miles already on them.:D never even owned anything OBD2 yet either lol.

Fedral states that no one shall pay for parts and or labor of a catalytic replacement...8 year or 80,000miles which ever comes first. I know this for a fact because I had the local VW dealership replace the one on my Mom's old '01 Golf back in 2005.

seanyb505 said:
I took the cat off my 97. No check engine light in last 50K miles. And even if it did come on, I was told by the shop there was a trick sensor available somewhere. Havent had to go that route yet.

O2 Simulator...whats many do when they ditch the cat.

Getting a big gain in horsepower by ditching the cat is :bs:That high flow cat from summit is not gonna choke your motor at all. If real horsepower gains is what you what then a bigger throttle body, tuning the computer, gears that match the tire size, ect and maybe a dyno run to ensure your getting it is the way to go. The only big thing ditching the cat does is pollute the air. :passgas:

A long long time ago cat's were restrictive on V8 powered cars and got hot enough to set any grass you parked over on fire. Cat design has come a long way in the past 20 years and this is no longer so. Just buy the summit cat, install it, and move on. If it sounds like your cooking popcorn in the cat then expect to by a muffler too. The sound is from the material in the cat breaking apart. It most likely has and packed you muffler full of :puke: Just my $02.

XJCreeper said:
Getting a big gain in horsepower by ditching the cat is :bs:That high flow cat from summit is not gonna choke your motor at all. If real horsepower gains is what you what then a bigger throttle body, tuning the computer, gears that match the tire size, ect and maybe a dyno run to ensure your getting it is the way to go. The only big thing ditching the cat does is pollute the air. :passgas:

A long long time ago cat's were restrictive on V8 powered cars and got hot enough to set any grass you parked over on fire. Cat design has come a long way in the past 20 years and this is no longer so. Just buy the summit cat, install it, and move on. If it sounds like your cooking popcorn in the cat then expect to by a muffler too. The sound is from the material in the cat breaking apart. It most likely has and packed you muffler full of :puke: Just my $02.

Well the muffler is a flowmaster muffler so if any crap got in there there I would just shake it out since its all baffles.

Now I never said I would remove the cat...I wouldn't even think about removing. I am just looking if anyone has had any issues with that magnaflow cat because I don't want to be buying a new cat every 2 years or so.

And as for power I've got a 60mm bored TB, airaid intake, poweraid TB spacer which has a matching bore at 60mm, and a 2.5" flowmaster 40 series rustys catback. I was thinking at the same time of the cat I would install a new exhaust manifold. And I wouldn't chip tune the Jeep's ECU. I sure as hell dont want to pay 93 octane for my XJ.

jeepster09 said:
Why buy one? There is a recall on these from Jeep for coming apart and rattling.

I've got a 96, and my cat started rattling also about a month ago.. it's been driving me insane. What steps would I have to take to get this fixed as part of the recall? Do I have to show proof of a recall or anything like that? Sorry if im a little naive about about the process, but taking something to a dealership is totally foreign to me.

Back