• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my xj camping trailer

that's a really tight setup man. you've inspired me...idk if i will use my spare manche box or build one out of my parts xj yet. scale of 1 to 10 how difficult was it?

hmm...for the fact that the MJ has a centrally located wheel opening and is 7 feet long, I am thinking that I will be basing my trailer off of an MJ. the plan is to take the 4 door xj roof from the top of the window back, complete with the window posts, and weld it onto the comanche bed. cutting out the front of the MJ bed and welding on the back of a MJ cab onto it with a sliding rear window and a cargo light (for checking hitch etc. at night), and use the top half of the xj cargo hatch to fold-down and meet the MJ tailgate.

the last thing I'm thinking of doing is building a new frame for it entirely, and putting a heavy duty trailer axle in it with electric brakes. this will potentially allow me to cut the center of the MJ box floor out for some more head-room. project would incorporate a small generator and 20 gallon 155 psi air compressor, lighting inside and out, a 20 gallon water tank, and fuel reserves. the problem that I keep running into is what's the point of doing any of this since the trailer can't truthfully be taken offroad without a bunch of hydraulic bracings to control the position of the trailer relative to the truck, and also a PTO system to control the rear axel would be ludicrously expensive. so this would just be a camping trailer or safari trailer.

and I don't go camping, nor do I do safaris. so this would be just a cool idea???

Hydraulic bracings?A PTO? are you trying to make the trailer's axle push too? Why? just keep the center of balance low. We used to haul trailers behind hummers they were never a problem. Only dumped one once. It was on a pretty harry trail though. a lot of off camber stuff (read, angles that should have dumped the Hummer too).

Last edited:
are they fully functional taillights on the trailer, or not, excuse me if u put it in the post, i was mainly jus looking at the pictures

ckale1 said:
Looks good, but I would like to see pics of the jeep pulling the trailer. Spec's?
are you wanting pics of it driving along the trails? and spec's of the jeep?

DTC32992 yep all the tail light work and the number plate light as well

Just pic's of the jeep. Trailer's cool, but not in my plans. Your Jeep looks like a nice build. Poser pics would be great so we can see the details. And yes, spec's for the jeep. Thanks

ARB Bullbar and Rear Air Locker
RE Upper and Lower adj. Control arms
home made Rocksliders
15x8 Alloys with 31" Simex MT's
H/D SYE and New Tail shaft
RE drop shackles with 3" lifted springs with extra leaf which nets 5" after it all settled
4" Coils with 1" spacer
Roof rack
Snorkel (airflow)
JKS Disco's
trimmed fenders and flares

normal_lcmp_feb07_015.jpg

normal_janowen_hills014.jpg

normal_25042007009.jpg

With 33" Procomp's on

normal_33_s_002.jpg

just some updates on the inside

the black boxes where already in the back of the jeep i have made them longer to make the base of the bed so next weekend i'll buy a mattress for it

enjoy

normal_dscf0001.jpg

normal_dscf0004.jpg

normal_dscf0007.jpg

Man, that is so sweet! add an RV air conditioner on the roof and your set.

magnum CJ said:
Man, that is so sweet! add an RV air conditioner on the roof and your set.

and a vw camper van (westfalia ) get a salvage sink kitchen'ette and or an ARB fridge freezer. Thats more important than AC. Need cold beer.

westyKitch.jpg

Sweet trailer, i had pondered doing a mj bed with a fiberglass top, now i am thinking XJ with steel rear hatches put on both ends just big enough for me to sleep in with the kitchen'ette at the front. The steel hatch put to the front of the camper would allow me to cook standing up outside with the hatch open serving as my canopy, then i would put a screen on the other side of the kitchen'ette so i could also open the hatch all the way and get a breeze in it sleeping on warm nights. (steel hatch just to weld in some sheet metal in the canopy/front hatch so my camper doesnt look like i am pulling a xj backwards)

You have inspired me, no i just need a XJ body for free or close to free.

Last edited:
Hey Kyro,

do you know the empty tongue weight? How about the wheel base to tongue? I know you said it trailed really well, I'm considering doing a similar thing to a two door, but I intend to keep the firewall and aft. thoughs anyone?

I've posted similar comment in another thread, forgive me if it's redundant.

no dont know tongue weight! and i'll try get the details for you soon....

keeping the firewall will add a sh**T load of weight to the front unless the wheel can be brought forward more....

Back