• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My unit has umm....issues

The Air Force started a new thing where we wear our dress uniforms on Mondays, to work - not full service dress, but ya know, short sleeve blues top and slacks. Anyway....here, the officers and senior leadership apparently got irked that a bunch of us "junior enlisted" were walking around with more medals/ribbons than they were, so they came down and said that we won't be wearing our ribbon racks on Mondays.

Yeah, that is BS.

Sorry for the immature comment. I wish you all luck over there. One thing I could never understand is the logistics of it. Why are there guys serving 3-4 tours and some serving none? Either way, keep your head down.

It's cool. You have to have thick skin to be a Democrat in the military anyway.

But it's really a tooth to tail issue with the number of deployments per person. The entire Army is pretty much geared around the infantry mission. But it takes an immeasurable amount of support soldiers to do so. So, for example, there may be 5000 x-ray techs in the Army, but you only need 10-20 for all of Afghanistan/Iraq. So the teeth (combat BDE's) and the people in them are going to see more ground time than anybody else.

I'm in whats called a "direct support" job skill. So, combine my job with the fact that I'm a male, it means that I'll be in combat units for the rest of my (short) career. I say male because females are not allowed to be directly assigned to a combat unit. Attached is fine, but by MTOE, it's not allowed.

EDIT: But bottom line, I have very little respect for anyone in a combat arms/DS job that hasn't deployed. Their usually the ones that can quote every Army regulation to you, but when it comes to actually accomplishing the mission and getting the job done, their lost.

Back