• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My unit has umm....issues

buschwhaked

NAXJA Forum User
My Army unit has umm....issues

This stuff has been going on for the last year. We even made the national press a while back. While there is no excuse for this behavior, we keep going to the absolute worst places in the world at the worst times.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/old-53558-today-police.html

Soldier arrested in shooting death part of troubled unit

Comments 61 | Recommend 7
May 11, 2009 - 7:03 AM

MARIA ST.LOUIS-SANCHEZ and DAVE PHILIPPS
THE GAZETTE
Thomas Woolly, a Fort Carson soldier arrested Sunday in the shooting death of a 19-year-old woman, served two tours in Iraq with an infantry unit that suffered heavy casualties in combat and has been responsible for violent crime since returning home.

Woolly, 24, was a heavy machine gunner in the 4th Infantry Division's 2nd Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment.

Members of the 500-soldier unit, nicknamed the Lethal Warriors, have been involved in stabbings, beatings, brawls, domestic violence, shootings, at least two attempted murders and four homicides in Colorado Springs. Another soldier who served with the unit in Iraq has been accused of murder in California.

The unit has also been plagued by drug abuse and suicide. The most recent suicide was Spc. Leland "Cal" Tyrone, 23, who killed himself in a barracks at Fort Carson on Dec. 20, 2008.

Woolly, who was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter in the death of Lisa Baumann, is only the latest soldier from the unit to be involved in violence after returning from Iraq:
· Louis Bressler, Bruce Bastien and Kenneth Eastridge were charged with killing two soldiers and stabbing a woman on her way to work in the fall of 2007.
· Jomar Vives and Rudolfo Torres were charged in random drive-by shootings of three people on Colorado Springs streets in May and June of 2008. Two died.
· John Needham is charged with beating a woman to death in San Clemente, Calif., in September 2008.

Details of Woolly's crime are sketchy. According to police and family members, Woolly and Baumann were drinking and playing cards with friends Saturday night in a apartment at 4116 Westmeadow Drive.

At 3 a.m. Sunday police received a call of shots fired.
Baumann was declared dead at the scene. Woolly also shot himself, and was treated for a minor leg wound.

Soldiers who served in Woolly's regiment say many returning soldiers carry loaded weapons everywhere and drink heavily to bury the symptoms of combat stress.

Woolly was arrested Sunday afternoon on suspicion of manslaughter.
Manslaughter, as opposed to murder, indicates that a killing is not premeditated or intentional, said Sgt. Steve Noblitt, a police spokesman.

Woolly posted $10,000 bond and was released from jail Monday.

Baumann's death is the 11th homicide this year in the city.

Both victim and shooter had troubled pasts.

In the past two years, Baumann had been arrested for driving drunk and burglary and her dad had kicked her out of his house, her brother, Perry Greene said. But she was trying to clean up her life and get back to her family in Illinois.

"All she wanted to do was straighten out and come home," said Greene. "But she never got the chance."

Woolly was profoundly injured and in the process of being medically discharged from the Army.

The Oklahoma City native enlisted in the Army a month after graduating from high school in 2003.

He was assigned to the Lethal Warriors and patrolled door to door on foot in the deadliest places in Iraq. His unit suffered some of the highest casualties of any Fort Carson unit. They fought in the Sunni Triangle between 2004 and 2005 and in the center of Baghdad during the vicious sectarian fighting from 2006 to 2007.

At the time, they were part of the 2nd Infantry Division's 2nd Brigade Combat Team, which had 111 soldiers killed and more than 400 wounded in two tours in Iraq - accounting for about half of all casualties at Fort Carson. It is not unusual to see members of the unit with multiple Purple Hearts for being injured in battle.

Woolly was one.

He was injured by a large road-side bomb, according to soldiers in his unit.
During his second deployment, Woolly wrote on his Classmates.com profile, "ive been blown up by ieds (roadside bombs) had rpgs (rocket propelled grenades) and automatic machine gun rounds fly not a foot over my head mortared almost everything that could happen has happened ... I've lost some good buddies over here and its crazy to think that they are gone it just makes you think of how good you had it a civilian and why in gods name did you join the military but its a thing we all deal with here and we fight on to the next fight which come more and more each day its crazy."
Not long after Woolly made the entry, a rocket propelled grenade slammed into his Humvee while he was in the gunner's turret, according to Needham, who is out on bail awaiting his murder trial. Woolly was blown out of the truck.

"He was a nice guy, but like everyone else in the unit, he was suffering from stress and depression," Needham said through his father, Mike Needham, Monday.

Woolly's grandmother, Gladys Woolly, reached at her home in Oklahoma City, said her grandson suffered multiple concussions in repeated bomb blasts that killed other soldiers.

"He was blowed up so many times until it damaged his brain and he couldn't be a soldier no more. He had to get out of there," she said.

According to Fort Carson, Woolly had been transferred to the post's newly created Warrior Transition Unit, which takes soldiers with physical and psychiatric problems who are in the process of leaving the army.

It is unclear whether Woolly's injuries were physical, mental, or both.
His grandmother said he was scheduled to be discharged in two weeks.
The Army would not comment on his medical condition.

Last edited:
We reflagged to 1-12 after Iraq from 1-9. So nowhere...for the next couple weeks.

Changed the thread title for you guys ;)

No, not my first trip. That was 15 months in Baghdad.

wtf?

So what's your take on the 'extremely' high levels of social malfunctions in your Unit? Do you think it's an issue with the initial recruits, command problems, or just plain combat stress?

What a way to air your unit's dirty laundry!

I feel that we have enough internal problems in our profession without additional press. What do you think your Chain would think about this post?

We all have our demons. Some more than others. There are programs, support groups, and counseling to help us deal with it. Why do you choose to re-visit it in a national forum?

I'm guessing that you are lower enlisted; a Senior wouldn't do something like this.

PM Me if you have any questions. I'd suggest that you search my profile first; Been there, done that.

John

Last edited:

I feel that we have enough internal problems in our profession without additional press. What do you think your Chain would think about this post?

We all have our demons. Some more than others. There are programs, support groups, and counseling to help us deal with it. Why do you choose to re-visit it in a national forum?

I'm guessing that you are lower enlisted; a Senior wouldn't do something like this.

PM Me if you have any questions. I'd suggest that you search my profile first; Been there, done that.

John

What he posted is from a news paper article, it was already posted. If you don't like what is being said maybe you should call the Ft Carson PAO.

Maybe he decided to post it up here so he could talk about it with people he considers to be friends. He is a soldier if he talks about his concerns of his unit with people from his unit is looked down upon.
Now tell me about using the Chaplin's office or something to talk about things.

Junior or Senior has nothing to do with anything. He is a fellow service member who is looking to talk about it. With your tough guy attitude, "Been there, done that" I suspect that your NG or USAR. An active duty soldier wouldn't say some BS like you did.

"Been there, done that." Really? What have you done in Telford?

Buschwhacked, I hear you. We've been having a lot of problems down here at Bliss too. We had 2 different shoots, by soldiers, that caused fatalities.
Stay safe over there Manchu!

I'm not going to get in the middle of the flaming each other. To the original poster and other service members "Thank You for your service". My prayers go out to you. I have no answer to tell you how to deal with you Unit,as I have not experienced any of what you guy's have.

I too was enlisted. I was in the USAF for 3years 9 months when I fell 60 feet. I never seen action and was severely injured before 9/11. I was not allowed to reenlist due to my injuries. I still feel the men and woman who have been overseas are the ones who have earned the right to be called soldiers and hero's.

John

Get off your high horse. . .

I wasn't trying to "air our dirty laundry." This stuff is already out there. My BDE does have issues and sometimes it seems that the general public is completely unaware that there is still two wars going on that have real costs, both short term and long term. I thought about whether or not I should post it here, but I thought sharing what is going on with the military might help people to understand the pressure and stress we're under when facing repeated deployments. This will be my second, I was part of the surge in Baghdad from 06-08. For a lot of my peers, this is their 3rd and 4th deployment.

I'm very proud of my unit, and considering all this unit has been through, I'm suprised things aren't worse. My BDE alone accounts for over half of the soldiers lost on Ft Carson in the GWOT. But we get through. Now, we're a couple weeks out from another deployment, and while I can't say where we are going, it's definitly not the safest area of Afghanistan.

Sorry for the immature comment. I wish you all luck over there. One thing I could never understand is the logistics of it. Why are there guys serving 3-4 tours and some serving none? Either way, keep your head down.

Logistics is probably the biggest issue with the military overall. While I can't say I've been in the hell holes that Buschwhaked has been in, I have spent nearly 2 of the last 4 years deployed to the middle east, in various places, while guys I work with back here have been in for 8, 10, 12, 20 years and never deployed.

The Air Force started a new thing where we wear our dress uniforms on Mondays, to work - not full service dress, but ya know, short sleeve blues top and slacks. Anyway....here, the officers and senior leadership apparently got irked that a bunch of us "junior enlisted" were walking around with more medals/ribbons than they were, so they came down and said that we won't be wearing our ribbon racks on Mondays. You can always tell who has deployed and who hasn't....

Pretty gay....

Busch, again, please be careful and come back safe.

Last edited:
Back