• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new tow rig

Kaboom new parts:

P1010070.jpg

P1010069.jpg

P1010071.jpg

P1010072.jpg

2 inch leveling kit, ARB bull bar, IPF lights, and 35inch BFG Km2's on H2 wheels. I plan to add some hella 500's for a regular driving light in the fog light spot and then figure how to work in the blinkers because they didn't fit right. Then maybe a winch and some of that super cool synthetic rope stuff.

-Alex

so before you do any power mods do gauges first.....make the exhaust flow well and it will lower your EGT's ...compound turbo setups lower EGT's programmers are nice but if you dont do supporting mods you'll shoot your self in the foot. i put down over 1k lb ft of torque with my 12 valve :D cumminsforum is like jeepforum but if you want some real info come over to our pirate.... we call it compD http://www.competitiondiesel.com/

Sweet thanks for the info, I am on cumminsforum and also a local NW diesel board. I post up in the PBB tow rig section too occasionally. My next upgrade will be gauges, hopefully before KOH but I don't know if I will be able to afford them by then.

-Alex

Found out I'll be doing a lift pump this weekend.

-Alex

Last edited:
That's a late 2nd Gen 24v, right? If it's not, ignore the rest of this.

I don't think you'll find any of the original Carter pumps anywhere. Airtex (bought Carter, Carter bought them, somewhere in there,) has dropped the original pump and has a different style now. Me, I'd say ditch it completely, go with an aftermarket pump located down on the frame rail, and replumb it completely to the injection pump with half inch hose. There are several good aftermarket suppliers out there.

The dealer will want to go to the in-tank module. There's been discussion over whether or not the VP44 needs a little inlet side pressure to stay happy. The dealer's test for function now is purely volume, no pressure required (which may or may not be good for the VP44 injection pump.) I'd stay away from this option, personally.

Oh, and if you don't have gauges for fuel pressure, boost, EGT and probably an automatic transmission temp gauge, get 'em. The dash oil pressure gauge on my 99 flat out lies to me, I've got one plumbed into the test port on top of the oil filter.

N/M.... from the hood, that's a 3rd Gen Common Rail.

Yup its the first year of the 3rd gen common rail. I ended up picking up a FASS platinum series 95 gph pump and will be putting that in this weekend.

It was just under $500 for pumps delivered to our shop, not bad since most places wanted over $1300 to install a FASS pump.:laugh:

-Alex

I'll warn ya in advance...... It ain't gonna go as easy as you think it might.

:roflmao:

I hope you aren't right, my friend did one of these in his driveway with a buddy in about 4 or 5 hours. He thinks I should be able to handle it this weekend in under a day.

-Alex

Okay, it sounds like you're not being unrealistic.... "open da box, bolt it to the frame rail, done." Not so much.

If you have to get into the tank to replace a pickup (and I don't think you're going down that road,) I've discovered that it's a bunch easier to pick the bed off the frame rails than it is to drop the fuel tank on my 99. By myself, I can have the bed from my 99 hanging from an engine hoist in under 30 minutes.

Okay, it sounds like you're not being unrealistic.... "open da box, bolt it to the frame rail, done." Not so much.

If you have to get into the tank to replace a pickup (and I don't think you're going down that road,) I've discovered that it's a bunch easier to pick the bed off the frame rails than it is to drop the fuel tank on my 99. By myself, I can have the bed from my 99 hanging from an engine hoist in under 30 minutes.

Truth!!! Take the bed off before you drop tank.

We talked about that tonight, it sounds like I can loosen the two rear bolts that hold the bed on and take the front four totally out. Then I can tilt the bed backwards and lift it just enough to pull the sending unit out, drill a new hole, bolt the draw straw in, bolt the sending unit back in, bolt the new pump to the frame rail, plumb lines, drop bed, drink beer.

-Alex

So we've done a new FASS lift pump, 50 HP DDP injectors, Hellwig Airbags and anti sway bar, Autometer factory matched gauges, and a mag hytec double deep trans pan.

My carrier bearings are going out in the front axle so its time to swap those out. We are looking at doing a Yukon Spin Free kit as well. Does anyone here have experience with running free spin hubs on a dodge instead of the unit bearings?

-Alex

My boss has a 6.0l ford that has them and he wouldnt go back to the unit bearings for anything. It is a major expense upfront but buy 2 sets of unit bearings and it almost pays for itself. So if you plan on keeping it do it and dont look back

Back