• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Homemade rear bar and carrier

crasy1_69 said:
good looking work. are you going to run some plate right under the tailgate its self?

Yep, going to put in some checkplate to fill the gap, I'll have it bolt down with counter sunk allen head bolts.

Cheers
Steve

Lookin' good, suh....!

I'll be interested, since I recently worked up a spec to have one made for my '99, to see where/how you kick-out to clear the wiper and plate-light shroud... They could be removed, of course.

Also, while nice aesthetically (that means with reference to appearance, for you younger guys...:) ), you may find that having left a greater gap between fender and side sections would prevent fender crumple when taking a good hit from below... Unless, that is, you do some considerable beefin' support.

IF....you wish to retain your health, so you can continue with projects to your heart's content...you should visit www.dorway.com, and find out just what ASPARTAME is, and dump the diet Cokes and other products that contain it..!!!

Looks Great ! Better than some of the crap out there for 500+ bucks!

Got some more done this morning, it takes me longer than I expect as I keep setting my goals a little higher, I think it's worth the time and effort though :)

Rear_Bar_083.jpg

Rear_Bar_085.jpg

The overall look is what I was going for so I'm happy so far :)

Rear_Bar_087.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Got the most part of the bar done now, just need to grind back a few bits, fill a few bits and get some checkerplate for the top. Should get it painted this week and then I start on the carrier.

Bumper_039.jpg

Bumper_040.jpg

Bumper_044.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Wow man, with the first few pics I was like "whats he thinking?" But you've done a great job. The little details and the way you've finished it up are great. If you put as much detail into trussing it up underneath as you have on the outisde thats going to be one bombproof bumper. Hows the weight though? Getting heavy yet?

It's getting fairly heavy but still lighter than a mates ARB bar and this mounts better and will be stronger I think :)

From a strength point of view the only thing left to do is add some support from the returns to the frame, probably use the towbar mount bolts.

Cheers
Steve

Great job. Wish I had the Patience for something like that. I'm doing mine now and I dont think it will be that sweet. I was going to run 1/8" strips down under the fframe rails and bolt them to the hich mounts then weld gussets on where they go into the bumper. Do you think that will be strong enuff?

1985xjlaredo said:
Great job. Wish I had the Patience for something like that. I'm doing mine now and I dont think it will be that sweet. I was going to run 1/8" strips down under the fframe rails and bolt them to the hich mounts then weld gussets on where they go into the bumper. Do you think that will be strong enuff?

No not at all.

1/8" so that's about 3mm, half the thickness of what I've used, may as well go as thick as you can 3/16" would be better or 1/4".

Thought I'd post a close up of the pivot point, this is what I have for welding the swingaway too :)

Rear_Bar_096.jpg

Rear_Bar_097.jpg

Cheers
Steve

I'm interseted to see how the tire carrier will come out. I bet some trick tubing work will be in store after seeing how skilled Steve F is with his new bumper!

haneyXJ said:
I'm interseted to see how the tire carrier will come out. I bet some trick tubing work will be in store after seeing how skilled Steve F is with his new bumper!
X-2 Looks like metal art. :thumbup:

Added some paint tonight (more to go on tomorrow night), hides a multitude of sins ;) Also got my latch, it just fits in a 50x50 RHS with 5mm wall, perfect. The top part of the L will be poking through a slot in the arm and used to release the lock. I may add a bit more of a handle to it. I'll also add a spring to it to stop it rattling around.

Bumper_054.jpg

Bumper_064.jpg

Bumper_056.jpg

Cheers
Steve

The bar is pretty much done, just need to mount the stud for the latch (will do that when I make the swingaway) and also need to put some alloy checkerpate on top to bring it closer to the tailgate and fill the gap between body and bar.

The lights aren't wired up yet either (Rear/Brake) and I haven't decided if I'll add indicators as well but left plenty of room for them. It's been a fun project and I'm looking forward to starting on stage two.

Rear_Bar_107.jpg

Rear_Bar_109.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Back