• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My epic roadtrip:

Stacking rocks to spell something along the hillside where the road makes a cut was pretty common all over northern CAN and AK.
AK_0977.jpg

AK_0978.jpg

Outside of Chitna AK heading towards McCarthy, crossing the copper river:
AK_0986.jpg

AK_1005.jpg

AK_1015.jpg

AK_1021.jpg

Must always be open season on signs in AK, because just about every one is shot to hell:
AK_1028.jpg

AK_1037.jpg

some of the old rail line going up to the mine:
AK_1050.jpg

The mine:
AK_1053.jpg

Back in the 20's the glacier was so high you couldn't see the mountains behind the glacial moraine/till.
AK_1060.jpg

AK_1061.jpg

This was the meathouse:
AK_1092.jpg

AK_1100.jpg

AK_1086.jpg

AK_1089.jpg

AK_1090.jpg

There were very few Jeeps in AK, so I was happy when I saw this one:
AK_1135.jpg

Some pistons:
AK_1145.jpg

The power generating house:
AK_1155.jpg

AK_1156.jpg

AK_1158.jpg

AK_1163.jpg

AK_1178.jpg

For some reason I just like this photo, it almost looks like photoshop or post processed, but its not.
AK_1188.jpg

AK_1185.jpg

Wheels and gears!
AK_1200.jpg

AK_1201.jpg

AK_1316.jpg

Heading into Valdez:
AK_1320.jpg

Very Wet down by Valdez:
AK_1338.jpg

AK_1344.jpg

AK_1350.jpg

Lots of people fishing:
AK_1361.jpg

I don't think they want you to speed:
AK_1367.jpg

AK_1374.jpg

Beer n Fish:
AK_1378.jpg

Bears:
AK_1382.jpg

AK_1426.jpg

AK_1425.jpg

Bears and lots of dead fish:
AK_1434.jpg

AK_1456.jpg

Salmon run:
AK_1473.jpg

This guy was trying to make his way over the rocks:
AK_1480.jpg

AK_1483.jpg

AK_1495.jpg

Some small glacier:
AK_1497.jpg

Lake Kluane in northern CAN. It was along here, at a small place called destruction bay, that the van started having mechanical problems. Took all day to limp into whitehorse(google it to see where it is) and we spent a day trying to repair the van before we got it fixed and were back on the road
AK_1500.jpg

AK_1499.jpg

AK_1502.jpg

AK_1506.jpg

AK_1509.jpg

Small autopark graveyard:
AK_1515.jpg

AK_1526.jpg

AK_1533.jpg

Sunset in northern CAN:
AK_1540.jpg

AK_1547.jpg

When you see it, you'll $h!t bricks:
AK_1545.jpg

AK_1555.jpg

got a shower here, then took a different route back down south through BC:
AK_1557.jpg

AK_1558.jpg

This was the most perfect clear little lake with a nice camp spot, if it hadn't have been so early in the day I would have camped there that night:
AK_1573.jpg

AK_1565.jpg

AK_1568.jpg

AK_1570.jpg

AK_1571.jpg

The old road, being overgrown:
AK_1577.jpg

Back on the main road:
AK_1581.jpg

BEARS!
AK_1586.jpg

Mud layer starting to come off:
AK_1593.jpg

Thanks for sharing your experience! I really enjoy reading and looking at pictures about other peoples trips and expeditions along with any stories they may have.

Much appreciated! :)

Super jealous of that trip Sam...... I actually dig the fact that it was done using your "add-a-westy-to-it" bus. :thumbup:

This is one old school flatty. I think the newest thing on it is the winch and dare I say that looks to be an '80's era one at that...... Can a person still get tires like that? I'd have guessed that pic would have been taken in the late '70's early '80's had it not been attached to this thread.... :D

AK_1135.jpg

Super jealous of that trip Sam...... I actually dig the fact that it was done using your "add-a-westy-to-it" bus. :thumbup:

This is one old school flatty. I think the newest thing on it is the winch and dare I say that looks to be an '80's era one at that...... Can a person still get tires like that? I'd have guessed that pic would have been taken in the late '70's early '80's had it not been attached to this thread.... :D

AK_1135.jpg

Ya I had the same thought when I saw it too, I hadn't seen tires like that in forever it feels like. But there they are.

The westy makes a great vehicle for trips like that, easy to climb in back and sleep, get some food from the fridge, drink etc. Heck I even cooked popcorn on the stove and used the pressure cooker to make a stew driving down the road.

I sleep up top and its about like sleeping in a single, so its plenty of room for me or two kids, sleeping on either bed with two adults means that your fairly close so its needs to be someone you can put up with.

Awesome trip, Sam, Thanks for sharing.... This is on the to-do list, we're thinking when the kids are 9-11 or so they'll appreciate it, so its looking like maybe 2013 or 2014 for us.

Awesome trip, Sam, Thanks for sharing.... This is on the to-do list, we're thinking when the kids are 9-11 or so they'll appreciate it, so its looking like maybe 2013 or 2014 for us.

Its definitely worth doing, lots of people do it with rental RVs. I wouldn't want to make the trip tent camping because its so wet and mosquito ridden up there. A VW westy or a sportsmobile is about the perfect thing for this sort of trip.

We debated about taking the dogs with us(the big dog Zeus is mine and the little dog Sandy is my Dads) because they can be a pain to have around, gotta feed em every couple of days, let em poop and pee, they get dirty etc. But having them along made the trip that much more enjoyable for us. They are always full of energy and happy to be there and with us, so it adds to the fulfillment of the trip.

I kinda wanted to take the diesel KJ because getting 25-30mpg would have been better than 16-20 with the van. But we would have just been so cramped in the KJ that it would not have been enjoyable.

we'll be in the WJ with the Wildernest/MJ trailer behind us. 15mpg will likely be the ticket, but man that looks like its worth the cost of admission.

Can you give me an idea of how much the gas was per gallon and how much it was here before you left? I am hoping to go up later this year if I can get my offroad teardrop trailer finished.

Back