• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My early morning call from LAPD ...

bchulett

NAXJA Member #999
I got the dreaded phone call this morning... it was from a LAPD detective, informing me they found a gun registered in my name that was reported stolen... asking me to identify it.

I said, I had two guns stolen out of my house about six years ago. A Sig Sauer .45 and Glock 9MM. He said, that's it, the Glock... we'll return it to you in about two years because it was involved in a MURDER.

Well, needless to say I was concerned because he didn't say much more. I told him the circumstances surrounding the theft, and at the time the LA County Sheriff's department never followed up and wouldn't dust for prints---the LAPD detective was dumbfounded and gave me his number.

Ten minutes later I called him back a said: You know detective, I still have the cases those guns were in ... they've been sitting in the closet all these years and there should only be two sets of prints on them ... mine, and the guy who took my guns.

He said really! But the statute of limitations has past in order to be used as evidence in court... but as long as they're not contaminated they can be used to build a stronger case against the suspect. He said we'll come out to pick them up.

Holy shit! :shiver:

Rev Den said:
Glad they found it.....my money says you will NEVER get them back.

LAPD's pretty good about returning stolen property (including guns) to indentified rightful owners.

About four years ago, a friend of mine was stopped on his way back from the range. Both he and his vehicle matched the description of a wanted felon (the exact charge escapes me - armed robbery and murder, I think). He was pulled over, arrested, and had his (also IIRC) Kimber confiscated as evidence.

Once it had been established he wasn't the bad guy, they let him go and processed out his gun as well. This took about 30 days (paperwork had to settle down from when it was booked into evidence before the paperwork to get it out could be started), but he had no problems at all with collecting them.

Damn, I've got a real bad feeling about this...

The CBS 5:00 news reported two in their early 20's were taken into custody last night for the slaying of a Subway employee here in Whitter back in December. The suspects, one male, one female, are being held in LA County Jail.

watch the video, very sad ... CBS/KCAL 9 NEWS

Maybe that explains the phone call this morning ...

This may be a coincidence, but about six years ago I told the cops whoever was in my house had to be teenage kids ... one possibly being a girl. The reason I said this because it was during the day, the method they broke in and they carefully ransacked the house and put things back in place.

Plus, they removed the guns from the cases ... stole my backpack, laptop computer and 1/2 bottle of colone from the bathroom. They left the camera and thousands of dollars worth of home theater equipment. Six or seven years ago would make the suspects about the right age.

I'll see where this goes ... I hope this wasn't my gun.

Don't put too much into the news story and the PD calling you.

I had several shotguns and rifles stolen from my house in a break-in about 15 years ago. I kept getting calls for my guns being found, all over in the Chicago area. When they caught the moron that broke into my house, he had sold every one of them for drug money.

The three that I actually went and got back we so horribly damaged they weren't getting back. I finally told the Dupage Sherriff to dispose of the two they found.

It's my understanding I won't see it for a couple years anyway .... I'm assuming its a capital case. After hearing it was involved in a murder, I originally told the detective to destroy it ... but since I've had second thoughts.

That was a Glock 17 ..... I bought it before the laws changed and has a 17-round clip. I don't expect to see it in good condition after all these years, and most likely the original clip will be gone... but now I've been contemplating sending it back to Glock and get the thing restored complete with the original magazine if it can be done.

bchulett said:
It's my understanding I won't see it for a couple years anyway .... I'm assuming its a capital case. After hearing it was involved in a murder, I originally told the detective to destroy it ... but since I've had second thoughts.

That was a Glock 17 ..... I bought it before the laws changed and has a 17-round clip. I don't expect to see it in good condition after all these years, and most likely the original clip will be gone... but now I've been contemplating sending it back to Glock and get the thing restored complete with the original magazine if it can be done.
Well...if it wasn't for the fact that you live in CA...The feds dropped the ban on high capacity magazines this year. Unfortunaly for you I think they are still illegal in Ca.

DrMoab said:
Unfortunaly for you I think they are still illegal in Ca.

They're not illegal, but legally are meant to be grandfathered. I have several 13-round magazines for my Browning, all of which were sold prior to the 'high capacity' ban date :)

casm said:
They're not illegal, but legally are meant to be grandfathered. I have several 13-round magazines for my Browning, all of which were sold prior to the 'high capacity' ban date :)
I didn't mean illegal to own...Just like you said...Illegal to buy. Still is in affect there though isn't it?

I realize two years in a long way off ... BUT just to clarify:

Does grandfathering mean I can purchase the original replacement parts ??? ... or I'm grandfathered into the new law and need to comply with current replacement parts ?

Anyone know the laws in Arizona? I have a friend that's a retired cop that lives there, so I guess if it's legal to buy the original clip then I'll get it out of state.

Back