• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MY D30, is it HI-pinion or LOW or Normal?

aroncull

NAXJA Forum User
MY D30, is it HI-pinion or LOW or Normal?

Having searched i saw threads that mentioned after 99 they could be hi or low..
i was looking at some gears for a TJ HP D30 high pinion and i do not know how to tell what i have.. HP/LP/normal
sorry again for the noob question/thead

thanks

aaron

OH and Duh i have a 97 sport 4.0

97..Im pretty sure its a low pinion dana 30. Just take a look at it. I dont know how to explain it, but its really easy to tell...

The point in which the drive shaft attaches will either be above or below the centerline of the axle at the backside of the differential (the side with out all the bolts holding the stamped sheet metal cover). Normal is as normal does and as such tends to be relative, however hi-pinion would be above the centerline and low above it. Look at the rear, that will be a low pinion.

I'm not sure I want to get into wheather or not TJ's came with high pinion, seems that would be a YJ.

TIM

ok so if the diff is a circle then hi p would be above the center and normal dead on and low below?

oh ok so the axle /tubes are what you measure off of
below the axle low/ above hi/ in line with normal
ok got it thanks!

Kejtar said:
Yup, 97 has an HP D30.

Pretty impressive!

And to think that this is without even asking the noob (no offence) to go out and verify that the front axle is the original equiptment as opposed to a swapped in low pinion.

Hehehehehe.........

:D

all i have to say is...

wow

XJ_ranger said:
all i have to say is...

wow
The SPOBI in this thread is pretty impressive, ain't it?? :wave:

Okay...just to cover a few points here:
  • TJ D30s are low pinion
  • TJs have been made since '96 but are all sold as '97 or later models
  • D30s (and just about every axle I can think of) come in either high- or low-pinion versions
  • XJ D30s (assuming it is stock) are high-pinion until (and including) 99, but are low-pinion for 00-01 although of course there could be random low-pinion 99s...

Last edited:
Yucca-Man said:
The SPOBI in this thread is pretty impressive, ain't it?? :wave:

OOPS!

Bent said:
...hi-pinion would be above the centerline and low above it.

That should heve read,
"...hi-pinion would be above the centerline and low below it. Look at the rear, that will likely be a low pinion. "

I'll put my hat back on and go sit in my corner. :dunce:

:D

TIM

90whitexj said:
Maybe he has the special edition pinionless Dana 30. I know I do

I was running a prototype of ARB's new air axles and Tom Wood's splineless nitrogen front driveshaft for the last couple of years. I was running a reverse front-pinion Dana 30 full-float unihub IFS front end with that.

ECKSJAY said:
I was running a prototype of ARB's new air axles and Tom Wood's splineless nitrogen front driveshaft for the last couple of years. I was running a reverse front-pinion Dana 30 full-float unihub IFS front end with that.
:roflmao: !

OK so i jhust went out and looked underneath and it appears that i have a NORMAL pinion!
dead on not above the axle or below.. or well matter of fact i dont even have a front driveshaft...
uh oh!!!! :wierd:

anywyas guys thatnhks for the noob thread help LOL

aaron :kissyou: :gag:

91 Jeep Project said:
I have GOT to get me one of those..............:cheers:

I wish I would have known... I sold that one for real cheap.

It sure was a bastard to find parts for, even with my connections in the business.

Back