• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Buddy Died In Iraq Yesterday....

A quote that always seems to help me cope.

"But I trust I shall shortly see thee, and we shall speak face to face. Peace be to thee. Our friends salute thee."

Every day i think about the war, and my friend in it.

already hit by 3 IED's while in humvee, and 2 on the ground.
he's still unscathed, and im keeping my fingers crossed.

God Bless Men like Tristan Smith who are willing to die doing a "job" that lets my children sleep safely at night. He is a true Hero.

sorry for the loss. my best go to you and his family through this ordeal.

I'm sorry man, I feel for ya. I lost 4 real close friends when those 53's crashed off the horn of africa, not to mention all my grunt buds left on the ground. War is evil like that and we will never know all the information that people have that cannot be public knowledge that keeps us fighting in far distant places. All we can do is trust in and elect officials who we hope can make the right choices. We all join up and swear to protect and serve....even if it means death. I'm glad and proud to be able to share the pride with all who serve and fall next to me........its those who sacrifice that allow everyone who needs it a bit of security to sleep at night. RIP

half_mast.gif

Many of us have been in your same situation. Stay strong, and don't dishonor his memory, even through the anger that you may feel.

Gavin

My condolences. Loosing a child is one of hte most difficult things to deal with.

damn man sorry to hear, my best friend someone i consider a brother is over there right now, hes only 20 yrs old, i couldnt imagine what it feels like to loose someone like that, sorry again

sorry to hear that , but atleast he died a hero

TAPS. i bow my head for a moment of silence and thank him and all who fight and die for my families freedom and the freedom of the world. my heart felt condolances.

Thanks again everyone, it's much appreciated. Plans are in work for the funeral. I think it's going to be on Thursday where I grew up in Bryn Athyn, Montgomery County, PA a suburb of Philadelphia.

just saw the post, my condolences, Rick... I never know what to say at times like this.

whatevah said:
just saw the post, my condolences, Rick... I never know what to say at times like this.

Thanks Jerry. I'm the same way. I'm not sure how to react or really what to say. I've seen enough shows on TV from Iraq and movies / series related to war (Band of Brothers, Black Hawk Down, among others) and have heard stories from my friends as well... I can somewhat picture what it's like, but I don't think I can even imagine. I think it's like explaining the fire service to people who haven't experienced it. You just have no idea what we'd see day in and day out and what type of training, work and dedication was required to do it.

More stories about him here:

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=local&id=4504136
http://cbs3.com/local/local_story_240222624.html
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/en...54.htm?source=rss&channel=philly_family_guide
http://www.kyw1060.com/pages/75386.php?contentType=4&contentId=196144

"F/F Tristan Smith (Right), F/F Rick Rotondo (Back Center), Abington F/F (Left)":
2JRs.gif

That above photo was taken when he was 16 and I was 17. It was our first "job" as we call it in the fire service... First "real" fire. We were packing hose after the fire.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your loss. Its too bad that media has made this a politically correct world we live in other wise we could really have implemented the "shock and awe" campaign and made sure there was no one left to kill our boys after the take down of Saddam. RIP

1985xjlaredo said:
Sorry to hear of your loss. Its too bad that media has made this a politically correct world we live in other wise we could really have implemented the "shock and awe" campaign and made sure there was no one left to kill our boys after the take down of Saddam. RIP

Yeah - "Grab them by the short and curlies, and their hearts and minds will follow."

Being "Politically Correct" has about as much place in the prosecution of armed conflict as the politicians who started the thing do - see my comments elsewhere. If it's come to war, then "statecraft" and "politics" have failed, and should no longer be involved.

As far as the conflict itself, war is as personal as a punch in the nose, and should be handled accordingly. Prosecute the conflict as violently and nastily as possible in order to maximise enemy casualties and minimise friendlies, and to make the conflict as short as possible. Dealing with entrenched civilian insurgents creates its own problems - but, as I recall, the Law of Land Warfare (derived from the Geneva Convention and the Hague Summit) is both dated and only applies to "official military elements of a belligerent power." Cvilian insurgents? All bets are off.

As far as the media outlets wringing their hands about civilian casualties:
1) Media don't belong in a battle zone. Period. Besides, they bitch about what soldiers are doing, and then run crying to them when something goes wrong. Keep them in the rear with the gear, and they can talk to soldiers after they come back from an operation, and they can air those stories three days later, if they're permitted to in the first place (there is no need at all for 'instant coverage' on a battlefield, that just gets men killed.)
2) We're dealing with a civilian enemy - by definition, all enemy combatant dead are civilians. We took down the former government that sponsored them. They are not "military elements of a belligerent power" - they are insurgents bordering on terrorists. They should be handled accordingly.
3) The media should have a 48- to 72-hour "gag order" in place at all times. Not to protect information - but to protect men. Embedding journalists as members of combat units in modern warfare is not a good idea - it not only causes intelligence leaks about who did what and where (and on CNN five minutes later!) but it also runs dangerously close to giving away "sources and methods" - the Holy Grail of intelligence work. In WWII, the media understood that - but they've been spouting their "the people have a right to know!" lie for so long they've come to believe it themselves...

Sorry, but I digress. Not much tho - if this were to be prosecuted properly, more of our boys would come home upright, rather than in boxes. REf. Patton - "No-one ever won a war by dying for his country. Men win wars by making some other poor bastard die for his country!"

5-90

Back