• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My attempt at Rocker Replacement w/sliders

Frank Z said:
How about a pic or two wthe the doors open.

This is the same mod I'm planning for this winter but I may add boatsides as well.

Frank.. Let me know if/when you do this. I've got a TON of photos from when I did mine a couple years back. Also have cad drawings with full dimensions on all of your pieces. I had mine tied into the framerails and the cage. They didn't budge at all..

Also, you might talk to Jefferson... His buddy Joe, owns my old XJ and he's in the Springs. Might be just as easy to swing by and check it out in person.

XJ_ranger said:
im glad this is working out for both of you, but It did not for me...

My rocker pushed up about 2" and in about 2" after repeated runs doorless with rocker replacements only tied into the sheetmetal - and I added some 10GA internal gusseting to help 'spread the load' around to no avail...
It even pushed the whole b-pillar up about 1-1.5" per side...

look at the door sill line, and the cut lines at the roof pinc seam - you can tell where the gap changes that stuff was moved around...

stp81817uu3.jpg

maybe its 'cuse mine is a 2 door and I wheeled doorless and windowless for one too many trips?

Just a follow up...

After multiple trips to the Hammers, and plenty of pounding on these things I am happy to report that I have had no problems at all with them holding up.

I've had no such issues similar to XJRanger. Perhaps that's the difference between the 2 door and 4 door. I have an extra pillar, spreading the load better.

Bump for an old thread and a couple questions.

So my rockers are rusting from the inside out and look like this
Driver side:
3-28-10007.jpg

Passenger side (note the Tek screws holding 16 ga from patch before Raptor lining in Fall)
3-28-10009.jpg

So far I have planned cutting the rocker out 1/2" down from the tops of the jambs and folding that up to make a thicker surface to weld too. Rossette welding the back of the 2"X4" tube to the pinch and folding the excess of the pinch onto the 2"X4" tube and welding what ever I can to it.

Opinions and suggestions welcome and Appreciated. Oh yea will a 110V Dayton welder w/Flux core suffice?

does anybody have any more details on the inner mount for this mod? i've bookmarked a bunch of threads and no one really has any pictures of how they attached the inner side (side closest to "frame") i saw a couple that mentioned something about angle iron but i didn't really follow it. are most people just welding the bottom edge to the pinch seam and thats all for the inside edge? i'm also planning on running some stringers to my tnt stiffeners, through the floor if i have to. i'm just not sure what to do with that inside edge...
Thanks!

does anybody have any more details on the inner mount for this mod? i've bookmarked a bunch of threads and no one really has any pictures of how they attached the inner side (side closest to "frame") i saw a couple that mentioned something about angle iron but i didn't really follow it. are most people just welding the bottom edge to the pinch seam and thats all for the inside edge? i'm also planning on running some stringers to my tnt stiffeners, through the floor if i have to. i'm just not sure what to do with that inside edge...
Thanks!

Just weld to the sheet metal and try to tie into the pinch seam, that's all you do. You WILL need some additional reinforcement as you mentioned if you plan to actually use them. Mine use three tie in's to the frame that were made out of box tubing cut in half, to make triangle shaped pieces. This way they don't hang down as low. Hopefully that makes sense...

Back