• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my 88 build full widths on 38s

Well got a few thing's done this weekend got my steering box tapped for hydro assist and all mounted back in the jeep and found a few places that I want to beef up on my truss. I really do wish I would of seen a thread like this about tnt in the beginning but since this axle is finshed aka locked 5.38s and aftermarket axles it is what it is and will be run till I can no longer fix it. Now just trying to figure out shocks was originally thinking 14in for the front after measuring I just cant fit them and will have to go down to 12s even then that doesnt give me alot of up travel. Just hope it doesnt limite my down travel to bad lol.

Well got a few thing's done this weekend got my steering box tapped for hydro assist and all mounted back in the jeep and found a few places that I want to beef up on my truss. I really do wish I would of seen a thread like this about tnt in the beginning but since this axle is finshed aka locked 5.38s and aftermarket axles it is what it is and will be run till I can no longer fix it. Now just trying to figure out shocks was originally thinking 14in for the front after measuring I just cant fit them and will have to go down to 12s even then that doesnt give me alot of up travel. Just hope it doesnt limite my down travel to bad lol.

Did you rebuild the box or just tap it? I want to do this but not sure I feel confident rebuilding it.

I started out with a reman box mine was trashed. But I tore the box down all the way so rebuilding wouldnt take much. There is some good videos on how to do it on you tube.

12's are fine, I have 3" up and the rest down, I use up all the shock with no need for anymore travel

Did you rebuild the box or just tap it? I want to do this but not sure I feel confident rebuilding it.

I tapped mine without taking it apart. The key is grease on the drill bit and tap and more importantly do all of the drilling and tapping with the box upside down. Pieces fall right down and not into the box.

Mine has been tapped for hydro for 3 years now and no problems. Saves a lot of time over rebuilding it.

When I tapped my box I also didn't take it apart. I used a lot of grease and drilled slowly. I also magnatized my drill bit and tap so it would collect the shavings even better.

I did the same at first drilled two smaller holes but was afraid I got some shavings in it so I tore it down. And I was right there was still shavings in it. Only added about a hour to the job.

Well finally got back to work on this thing took it down the driveway to flex it out for shock length ect. Still had a few more inches of down travel before the spring falls out but couldnt get it there. Not bad for all home built stuff.

Lacking in the bump stop area lol

Thanks guy's ita getting there motivation is back to get it done lol. And the bead locks aren't diy they are double bead locks from trail worthy fab. There 12 bolt hummer wheels.

Back