• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 44/9" full width cherokee build

Wow, I just read through all 25 pages of this.. TOTALLY WORTH IT, awesome TJ, I'm not biased against the Wrangler crowd.

Your XJ was badass while it was still alive!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Do you still run local trails / do stuff with the IC in your TJ?

Wow, I just read through all 25 pages of this.. TOTALLY WORTH IT, awesome TJ, I'm not biased against the Wrangler crowd.

Your XJ was badass while it was still alive!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Do you still run local trails / do stuff with the IC in your TJ?

he's to good for the IC plus we don't like him much anyway :moon: :D

I would have to disagree, he does know how to clobber/hack together a Ford 9" third member at 2 in the morning, he helped me do it. If he doesnt know anything else, I CAN tell you, he at least knows that much. :roflmao:

I still cant believe that contraption stayed together. :cool:

Seriously. You need a high strength third member like Dirty D needs a shower.:shhh:

I'm hoping to be doing the same with an XJ i'm picking up soon. but 60's front and back unless I can find a 70 rear. I'll be using this and a couple other full width builds i've found as reference. What would you have done different if you did it again? I was afraid to ask that to the people over at pirate haha

I'm hoping to be doing the same with an XJ i'm picking up soon. but 60's front and back unless I can find a 70 rear. I'll be using this and a couple other full width builds i've found as reference. What would you have done different if you did it again? I was afraid to ask that to the people over at pirate haha

I would have built a cage. My new motto is: if you can afford/ justify and axle swap to handle heavy wheeling and big tires, you can't afford not to protect yourself and your investment with a cage.

It really depends on what type of wheeling you do specifically, but for me, I would have added a cage before anything else... even before the axle swap.

Doubler: gearing options are much more useful in a dual purpose rig than just middle low gears or stupid low 4:1 gear sets.

Approach angle: I would have set the coil buckets on top of the axle tubes to pull the front axle forward another 3-4 inches forward.

Departure angle: I would have pushed the rear axle back another 3-4" with the combination of scooting the fuel tank back and long leaf spring pads with relocated center pin holes.

More skid plates: specifically over the transmission and oil pan.

Winch: sunk into the grill or relocated front crossmember.

I would have built the whole thing to handle more uptravel and higher speeds with better shocks and either airbumps or prothanes.

But these are all things I learned from building rigs and I wouldn't know them without building something like this Cherokee first.
Too many people try to bite off more than they should on their first build or second or any build:

My Signature line on Pirate4x4 is, "Fabbing and Wheeling is about having fun, if not, you're doing it wrong."

Sit down and write up a build goal plan and stick too it (with some fluidity) with a budget.:read:
Don't get caught up in bling parts or thinking that one way is the only way to accomplish your goal. :bs:

And don't be like some of these guys and sit behind the computer and never build.:badpc: It takes hard work and ACTION! :repair:

But seriously cage first. I've competed and wheeled enough to see too many rigs destroyed and people nearly hurt to ignore that.:gee:

Good luck and have fun!

Just thought I'd post this here for future reference.

jeepfreak1020 said:
Question for you man. On your old cherokee that had a 9" What truck/car did you take the e-breaks from to mat up to the 9 inch drums? Also what did you take the splitter break line from to mount onto the 9 inch.

Thanks,
jeepfreak1020

The rear axle and brakes were stock 76 Ford F150, I used the stock "T" splitter from that axle and the ebrake cables from my Jeep bolted up.

Gravesdiggerxj

Back