• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my 2 door chopped build thread...

so i've been pretty lazy the past few days. but i did get the filler neck sorted out. i cut it out then pieced this back together with some small scrap pieces... it's a little fugly close up, but nothing a gratuitous amount of seam sealer can't fix

filleneckfinal.jpg

It ain't gotta be pretty if it works! I like that idea.

The only thing that would bug me about that is having the fuel pump and lines inside. Seems like it'd smell like gas.

so i've got the inner fender wells cut out and mocked up, but i talked to my buddy who is going to be helping me with the cage and he suggested i get a few pieces in while it's torn apart. so i need to build my rear bumper for a mounting point for the cage.

so here's my question, hard mount i.e. weld it completely to the unibody frame rails, or just cut some holes and sleeve them so it can just be bolted on.

thanks john. yeah i was wondering about fixing possible damage repairs, that's why i was thinking of bolting it in, however i'm not so sure the 2x4x1/4 rect. tubing is going to be getting bent up much, and if it does then i'll have bigger things to worry about, like being alive.

so i love being retarded...

i wanted to at least have the cab sealed in this past week, but alas, it didn't happen...

so i talked to my buddy who is going to help me with my cage and he suggested what i thought, but was hoping wouldn't need to do... there are a few pieces of my cage that need to go in before i finish up the sides. i'm trying to hide as much of the cage as possible...

no big deal right, wrong. i need to build my rear bumper/xmember first, that is what the cage will attach to in the rear, well in order to do that i need to take out the rear springs. and snap go the bolts, not suprised but now i have to build new shackle hangers before i can finish the bumper.

oh well, rant over, i know this is how it goes. but it doesn't make it any less frustrating

progress has been slow this past week or so. waiting on steel, figuring out other problems as they arise. etc..

so i have most of the rear bumper done. just need to add some mounts and side protection for the body. nothing special, just some 2x4 rect tubing with the ends cut, bent up at an angle and welded. clevis mounts and a reciever

finished up the driver side frame stiffener tonight, that was balls

and made my version of some shackle relocation brackets. the hd ones wouldn't work for me because of how much rot was in the shackle boxes and surrounding frame. so i'm going to cut out the old, plate everything and put these guys in

shacklehanger.jpg

shacklehanger1.jpg

i had the shackle hangers from a previous build i never got around to doing, along with some yj boomerang shackles. the mounting hole for the shackle is about 5/8 higher than stock. the actual shackle hangers themselves are slotted to allow more fine tuning of the shackle angle.

as soon as i get some new u bolts i'll take out those sagged out springs and put in some not so saggy xj springs i have. then the bumper will go in, some pieces of the cage. misc wiring for tail lights, etc... and then hopefully i'll be ready to seal up the back end

ok so i had a weird dream last night where i re did the bumper. just wanted to get opinions before i get any further on it.

here is what it looks like now. minus the rear mounting bars and side guards. nothing fancy

rearbumper-1.jpg

this is what i was thinking last night. which do you think is better

rearbumper1-1.jpg

i like the first one better personally

got some work done on the jeep finally. bumper is done, minus some end caps. just have to finish welding it to the frame and add some fish plates to cover the welds

tacked up and partially welded

bumpermountsandsides.jpg

completely welded, yes i straightened it out before i tacked it in

bumpermounted.jpg

here is a quick shot of the side, i still need to cut an angle to the end and cap it, aslo there will be a brace going to the frame on the inside. i'm doing the brace because the cage will be attached to this piece soon.

bumperside.jpg

i'm pretty stoked to get this guy done here. now i can get some tube so to put in a few pieces for the cage. after the cage is in i can finally start sealing it all up.

the list is slowly getting smaller.

oh yeah and the gaps on the side between the bumper and the body will be filled. i will probably run a piece of 1/8 at an angle up to the body to kind of mimic the body lines

ok so i've got a few more things done after i got off my lazy ass.
bumper is completely mounted with fish plates over all the plug welds.
new shackle hangers are mounted. i'm not too pleased with the shackle angle but i'll just live with it until i get some longer shackles. not to mention i'm using boomerang shackles from a yj.
just a little more welding and the back will be ready for a few pieces of cage work

this is the shackle hanger welded to the floor plate. the hanger is made from a piece of 3x5x1/4 tubing, the actual shackle hanger is just a generic frame side shackle hanger. the plate is 1/8 that was welded to the "frame" and the bumper on 3 sides

shacklehanger2.jpg

a buddy of mine gave me an idea for a tailgate latch. this type of quick removal tube adapter is nhra legal, so i thought it would suffice for some extra stiffness in the rear portion of the cage

tailgatelatchperhaps.jpg

i was thinking of building a tailgate out of tube and using these as "latches" and some larger OD tubing to slide over the bottom rail as the pivot point

any thoughts on this

Back