• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mushy Brake Pedal / Brake Light on Issue

I'll bet you the XJ that they bolt right up. ;) There never were factory rear disk brakes for the XJ so there's no chance that these are rear calipers. If I get time, I'll try to swap them today.

I think you are misunderstanding Front/Rear,
I think Ecomike Means mounted to front of the Front rotor Vs mounted to Rear of the Front rotor, Not front & rear brakes.

i tought all xj caliperes were rear mounted. im could be entierly wrong but everything im seeing puts them on the rear side.

others have done this same mistake before. try swaping them. the only change i see from pictures is the location of the bleed screw.

i tought all xj caliperes were rear mounted. im could be entierly wrong but everything im seeing puts them on the rear side.

others have done this same mistake before. try swaping them. the only change i see from pictures is the location of the bleed screw.

You're probably right, I've also never seen a front mount caliper on an XJ, but who knows?

I think you are misunderstanding Front/Rear,
I think Ecomike Means mounted to front of the Front rotor Vs mounted to Rear of the Front rotor, Not front & rear brakes.

That is correct. Autozone has a front mount and a rear caliper for the Renix XJ year jeeps, in my case it was an 87 4wd Wagoneer and the computer asked if it was front or rear mount on the front disk brakes. He brought out both sets. I was shocked, but I had mounted the front mount version on my rear mount and ended up with the bleeder on the bottom instead of the top. IIRC the left side caliper would not mount on the left side properly. Whe I went in I told them they have given me the right side instead of left side, and he told me it would not have mounted, and brought up the front/rear mount topic as the source of the bleeder being in the wrong place. My front disks are on D-30 (or is it a 35? I forget) front axle, 1987, not what sure what all years this issue applies to, or if it is 4wd drive issue only....etc

Well it turns out I was right, but the AZ guy was also right according to their data base. Now the question is, is their data base wrong. There are only two caliper part numbers, but if you order say the left side and they ask front or rear mount, and you say front mount, you get the right side rear mount part that will work on the left side front mount (if there are any front mount ones?) but puts the bleeder on the bottom if you mount it as left side rear mount.

http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...-fi?filterByKeyWord=caliper&fromString=search

So it is possible (I was wrong) to get a pair of rear mount calipers and mount them on the wrong sides and trap air with the bleeder screws on the bottom side. But if there are actually any front mounts, then the sides get swapped for the same 2 part numbers. If there are not, I wonder how it got in their data base.

Back