• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Muffler Placement???

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
Come august I have to go through emissions again, so I figured I might as well re-design the whole exhaust system. Right now the bashed downpipe, lack of cat, falling apart muffler, and smashed tailpipe just aren't cutting it. So far I'm going with the APN header, a custom bent (non-crimped) 2.25" down pipe, magnaflow high-flow cat, flowmaster delta force 10, and dynomax 2.5" tailpipe. Now my question is, this muffler is TINY, does it matter where you but it behind the exhaust?

I was reading milehilonewolf's thread, and it seems he got some tone vibes inside before adding a resonator. I'm thinking this might have to do with the fact that the muffler was placed all the way down by the axle, instead of right after the cat.

On the other hand, you would think the farther away the better, because the gasses have to travel farther, and slow down more before hitting the muffler. I've looked around on google and no one really seems to have a clear answer. Definitely don't want ANY resonance inside the cab.

Again, the muffler is only about 8"x5"x3", so you can put it anywhere you please. I'm just looking for the best spot.
319C7Q4ETHL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

i had a flowmaster 40 in the stock location and only got vibes when it would shift into 4th and be at a low rpm (around 1500-2000). other than that i couldn't feel anything.

I can not get much info off the Delta Force 10, With the low number my guess is with what I have heard from the 40 series, my guess will be that the 10 will be louder. with that I am not sure what resenonce that XJ takes in.

There are always a few things you can do to keep it down. With it being small you can get a heat shield and then increase more under body insulation around the area. You could add a resonator(Model: 15126 or Model: 15110) you will need pipe connectors since the small inlet/outlet is a 3" ID pipe.

Placing the exhaust further back will make it less noticeable to you since it is further away. You also will be able to add dynomat or similar inside the cab and could stick more in the rear then closer to the front.

I installed a magnaflow hi-flow cat, 18" exhuast pipe, and then a Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler and turn down tip before the rear axle. The muffler ends up sitting more or less where the stock one was under the heatshield as the new cat and muffler are much shorter than the giant stock ones. I added the 18" pipe between the cat and muffler to keep the muffler under the heat shield. No vibes or exhaust fumes in the cab and it's a pretty loud muffler. Love the new setup much better than the crappy stock. Saved prob. 20# too.

Ok I wanted to see if it would sonically make a difference. By that I mean is the shorter or greater distance between the cat and muffler going to cause more turbulance, causing higher decibels and heavier vibrations. Looks like it's simply a farther-away-makes-less-noise kind of situation.

I dont think it matters how far away from the Cat, but more how far away from the driver seat...

why not just replace your muffler bearings?:roflmao:

Maybe that's what's making all the noise...

My friend has a few extra tailpipes, I think I'll do a little experimenting on placement before I weld in the mandrel bent one.

Back