• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Much Needed Advice!!

::War_Machine::

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 1700 legal XJ that I have set up as a prerunner/duel purpose rig that I have decided I'm going to mod even further and i wanted to get some advice and guidance from all you fine folks. First off let me give you a run down of what i have so far then Ill explain my plans for my rig. I can post pictures of my rig as it sits now if anyone cares to see it.

Vehicle:
1995 XJ w/ 84000 miles on the body

Motor/Trans:
1999 4.0 w/40000 miles (roughly) and AW4 also from a 1999 XJ. NP231 T-case w/SYE

Suspension:
Front: Rubicon Express extreme long arm (coils swapped for deaver CSC09) King 2.5x14 piggy back resis, and King 2.0x4 bumps
Rear: Deaver G09 race rack leafs, King 2.5x14 piggyback resis, and King 2.0x4 bumps

Axels:
Front: D44 with 35 spline cromo shafts, ARB air locker, and 5.13 gears
Rear: Ford 9" with 35 spline cromo shafts, ARB air locker, and 5.13 gears both front and rear axels build by Curry Enterprises. Custom built drive shafts from outlaw off-road

Body:
Hannaman fiberglass fenders up front. Rhino lined from just below the handles the entire undercarriage and roof panel.

Interior:
Carpet kit swapped for custom indoor outdoor carpet and custom seats. Under the carpet is rhino lined and dyno matted. Caged from the dash to the hatch.

I know Im forgetting something but oh well probably not that important lol

Misc:
Smitty built XRC8 winch with Kevlar cable, Warn winch bumper and warn rear bumper (I cant remember what model). 4 Acro HIDs across the roof 2 more Acros on the bumper along with 2 hellas, across the back there are 2 more hellas on the roof and 2 (rectangular) under the bumper. Moroso main power cut off switch mounted to rear bumper, and tow package.

Now with all of that being said I plan on ripping out my stock 4.0 and dropping in a GM 383 pushing somewhere around 450hp and a TH400 trans. I plan on using Novak parts for the swap and painless wiring to redo most of the wiring. As for further suspension mods longer limit straps up front, extensive work to my cage adding a ton of tubing. I would like to 4 link te ass end of it and from what I can find im my own research is to use 50" trailing arm. Also to take my inspitation from a ranager kit do to the fact they are about the same wheel base as for link mounts to the body the giant motor sports boxed links look promising but I just don't know. Last but not least is I'm going to tub my rear fender wells in about 4" and up 4" and fiber glass the back half. Any advice anyone is willing to offer would be greatly appreciated and as I remember more of what I want to do Ill add more to this posting. Thank you ahead of time to anyone and everyone that has take the time to read through all of this junk and offer up that help.

- Nate

Last edited:
IMO if you are going to go to the trouble of doing a motor swap use a better engine. a Chevy 4.8 or 5.3 would be my First choice for a V8. 2nd choice and I may do this just to be different would be a 4.2 or 3.7 Atlas I6 and I5 respectively.

The rest sounds like fun! What do you plan to do with it? Seems like ALOT of overkill for a prerunner. If you are planning on actually racing it there is no such thing as overkill. racers can break anything. :dunno: :jester:

The reason I have decided to go with a chevy 383 is because I already have a 350 sitting in my garage and nothing to do with it other than look and dream lol. I also have noooooo desire to do any kind of extensive wiring for commuters and what now I want it to be as simple as possible I plan on pulling all of the wiring and redoing it. Yes it is overkill for a prerunner but I do plan on racing once its finished provided I cab pick up a few endorsements and if not Ill just have a bad ass XJ haha.

Ditch the front and rear boat anchors.
By 383 you're referring to a 350 .30 over?
Carbureted?
450hp you should be thinking full tube chassis...

Last edited:
Ditch the front and rear boat anchors.
By 383 you're referring to a 350 .30 over?
Carbureted?
450hp you should be thinking full tube chassis...

The front and rear bumpers are being ditched I should have elaborated on extensive cage work. Ill be adding dash bars, more triangulation to the roof, shoulder bars w/triangulation, and caging the engine bay through the grill to a push bar holding two 7" HID's the back will hold two full size spares standing up aluminum race jack and misc. extra parts and fluids. Yes I am referring to a .30 350 I figured GM 383 was a pretty universal term and I didn't need to break it down. Yes I am planning to go carburated why do you suggest going with a full tube chassis?

I fell that with the proper frame (unibody) platting, I already have unibody stiffeners, Ill have no need for a full tube chassis and building an entirely new rig isn't cost effective for me.

The front and rear bumpers are being ditched I should have elaborated on extensive cage work. Ill be adding dash bars, more triangulation to the roof, shoulder bars w/triangulation, and caging the engine bay through the grill to a push bar holding two 7" HID's the back will hold two full size spares standing up aluminum race jack and misc. extra parts and fluids. Yes I am referring to a .30 350 I figured GM 383 was a pretty universal term and I didn't need to break it down. Yes I am planning to go carburated why do you suggest going with a full tube chassis?

I fell that with the proper frame (unibody) platting, I already have unibody stiffeners, Ill have no need for a full tube chassis and building an entirely new rig isn't cost effective for me.

With all the different mentions of motors i wanted to make sure I was on the same page.

A 450hp motor in a unibody didn't sound like the greatest idea to me, but what do I know :dunno:

By tube chassis I meant one under the XJ not a new rig. I know a guy putting a 5.9 out of a Grand and that's what he's doing.

I use to have a 77 K10 with a 388 with 500hp combining that kind power with the size and capabilities of a XJ will be interesting.

I'm eager to see how it goes.

You don't need a tube chassis to support 450hp. :rolleyes:

All old Mopar muscle cars were unibody and they supported 450hp (and then some) for the life of the car.

Just plate it where your motor mounts are going.

With all the different mentions of motors i wanted to make sure I was on the same page.

A 450hp motor in a unibody didn't sound like the greatest idea to me, but what do I know :dunno:

By tube chassis I meant one under the XJ not a new rig. I know a guy putting a 5.9 out of a Grand and that's what he's doing.

I use to have a 77 K10 with a 388 with 500hp combining that kind power with the size and capabilities of a XJ will be interesting.

I'm eager to see how it goes.

Ooooh ok I gotcha now sorry for the confusion. I'm guessing he's making his own version of an engine cross-member?

IF you are going to race 1700 Jeepspeed, leave engine, other engine choice is not class legal. Can go to 3700 class. Couple rules for them, 15inch travel max in front, open in rear, can link. Engine is open. Guy who won Parker 435 runs a Comanchee, with a turbo. Sick looking rig..

Air lockers front and rear, maybe remove or non air locker.. Keep 4x4 though, gears are about right. All Jeepspeed races have been on BITD courses, that 4x4 comes in handy in the silt, and sandy washes and there is alot of that with this sanction. Vegas to Reno, 4x4 almost a must for the slower heavier guy..

My racer had a built engine, plated both sides of unibody, and HD mounts, things still cracked.. If you race, plan to fab alot of fixes..

Hope that helps..

IF you are going to race 1700 Jeepspeed, leave engine, other engine choice is not class legal. Can go to 3700 class. Couple rules for them, 15inch travel max in front, open in rear, can link. Engine is open. Guy who won Parker 435 runs a Comanchee, with a turbo. Sick looking rig..

Air lockers front and rear, maybe remove or non air locker.. Keep 4x4 though, gears are about right. All Jeepspeed races have been on BITD courses, that 4x4 comes in handy in the silt, and sandy washes and there is alot of that with this sanction. Vegas to Reno, 4x4 almost a must for the slower heavier guy..

My racer had a built engine, plated both sides of unibody, and HD mounts, things still cracked.. If you race, plan to fab alot of fixes..

Hope that helps..

I'm currently 1700 legal but I want to go into the 3700 class hence the engine swap I was considering a turbo or a supercharger, but from experience helping friends add turbos and what not to their cars sand and forced induction are bueno haha but in my defense Im not a forced induction guy so i could very well be stuck on stupid. What all did you hsve done in terms of engine mods? Also what kind of HP numbers were you getting out it?

Ill have to check out his rig you wouldn't happen to know his name would you?

As for suspension travel Im strapped at 10" for the 1700 but Im capable of running 15"+ in the front. I plan on keeping the 4x4 maybe pick up a 2wd front axel that's sleeved and all that jazz but that a maybe. Damn! I was really hoping that i could just plate the unibody up the wazoo and be solid but it looks like il just have to take it as it comes.

Yes you have helped immensely and given me a lot to think about thank you very much for your time.

Back