• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving 1800 miles to Colorado and...

Can a mod delete this embarrassment of a post :)

Turns out whoever owned this XJ before me somehow stripped out the teeth on 4 studs...

Have two more I have to drill out tomorrow. Purchased an 18 dollar bit so I can get them out. I hope I don't have to pull the hub to put them back through. Hoping I can rotate the hub and fish them through.

And yes. That was my problem. (Thankful it's nothing more serious)

There is nothing wrong with hub/bearing. (from what I can feel that is. The only issue that exists is the stripped studs and and lugs that come a little loose. causing play.)

Well. If the splines for the studs are stripped on the actual hub then yes I'll have to replace it.

I can't just take a punch and knock the wheel studs out. As my tire and lug nuts are stuck on there. So I can't simply punch them out with a lug nut on there. I drilled the 3 out today. Going back for the other two tomorrow. Then replacing the studs and doing my rotor and pads then I'll be good to go.

(I did my driver side U joint. Which really didn't need to be replaced. but was good to replace anyway as it was pretty crappy.) The whole issue was with the passenger side studs/lugs. The studs are stripped and the lug nuts came loose. The rim had small play which was causing the tinking and vibrations.

Last edited:
If the studs are spinning that badly in the hub then the holes are probably trashed, hence why I suggested just replacing the whole thing.

Back