• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving 1800 miles to Colorado and...

hupo224

NAXJA Forum User
Was just curious of a few things :)

June 16th I'll be leaving this hell hole and heading to Idaho Springs. Where I'll be living for a few months. I'll be bouncing around a little bit until I can settle more properly. Just curious as to what kind of spare things you all would take with you for the trip?

Unfortunately my jeep was running sound until a few days ago. Well running wise it is fine. It's my front axle (dana 30 shit) that suddenly wanted to be a bitch. I posted in OEM tech. But no replies. And figured I'd ask my future wheeling friends :)

Started out with loud tapping from the front end. Would speed up as I would speed up. Didn't do it if I was turning hard right while driving fast (or maybe left) and would get worse if I turned hard left (or maybe right lol).

And also would stop when I am braking. And pop it in 4wd (only did it a couple times on the road. It's a 94 with a 231). (So that's why)

I replaced what felt like a worn driver side u joint. And that did nothing. My brakes however are pretty shot and were on my to do list. And it's maybe possible that could be the culprit. As the brakes started turning especially shitty when this problem occurred.

I had to drive it around a little bit to get parts and get to my friends house. And it seems that I have developed vibrations through out the jeep above 30mph. "smacking" noise still there of course.

Things I am going to try today are remove the front driveshaft and drive and see if problem still persists. (front ds feels tight and fine by hand)

Replace the driver side rotor and pads and see if that does anything. Because it could be something stupid. I just want to get this bitch 1800 miles west.

One more thing. Not sure how many people actually stare at there axles this detailed. But. My xj is on jack stands. When I pop it 4wd and let the front axle engage while in the air I notice my passenger side ujoint/axle shaft spins with almost no slop. But my driver side has a little bit of up and down slop movement. More noticable than the passenger side. I'm not sure if this is normal though however. And I did NOTHING to even bend the XXXXing shaft.

Any tips? I'm on XXXXing :flame: right now!

Thanks again friends :)

There is slop in the drivers side axle shaft?
Have you checked the unit bearing/balljoints on that side?

Whe going on long trips, I pack enough tools to fix about anything. If you plan on wheeling along the way, bring more stuff

There is slop in the drivers side axle shaft?
Have you checked the unit bearing/balljoints on that side?

Whe going on long trips, I pack enough tools to fix about anything. If you plan on wheeling along the way, bring more stuff

I don't want to risk doing any wheeling on the way. Plus it's all flat boring driving from what I hear anyway.

I didn't really put a pry bar under the wheel to see if there is ball joint slop. I guess that would be my best way to check right? Seemed pretty damn tight to me.

The wheel bearing spun nice and didn't seem to be loose at all in the hub when I had it out. I don't actually remember feeling any slop in the driver side axle when I pulled it out. Since putting the new u joint in and everything back together when I turn the u joint by hand I feel no slop.

There is however that tiny bit of slop that all my Cherokees had. When you are able to spin the front DS about an 1/8th of an inch either direction.

Please correct me if I'm wrong or overlooked something.

. But my driver side has a little bit of up and down slop movement. More noticable than the passenger side. I'm not sure if this is normal though however. And I did NOTHING to even bend the XXXXing shaft.

Thanks again friends :)

This sounds odd to me

If you have problems while you are here, make sure and post up. I'm sure we could get you some help if you need it.

Like you said, drop the drive shaft and see if it goes away. The centering ball can be bad and the other joints be still fine.

If you have problems while you are here, make sure and post up. I'm sure we could get you some help if you need it.

Like you said, drop the drive shaft and see if it goes away. The centering ball can be bad and the other joints be still fine.

Thanks bud I appreciate it. I always pay it forward. I don't believe in karma. I just believe in being good to all. No matter who/what you are. I'll be off the grid kind off for a few months. Solar power, generators etc etc. Should be interesting and fun! My kind of living.

Sounds like a plan. I hear that could cause issues. So that will be my first test. Thank you again.

Don't replace just one brake. If you do brakes (and it sounds like you should), do both at the same time.

Pulled drive shafts and the vibrations above 35 mph and tapping is still there. Going to replace rotor and pads on driver side. They are very chewed up.

Going to replace rotor and pads on driver side. They are very chewed up.

You seem very adamant about only changing the drivers side. Do me a favor, if you make it all the way to Denver, post up when you are here so I can stay off the streets. :)

Haha I wanted to do the driver side to see if it would fix the problem. It didn't. So now I'm going to put the rotor and pads on the passenger side :)

I hope you mean you will complete the install, having new pads and rotors on both sides.

Anyone got the link to the guy overseas that killed his family because he was running mismatched brakes?

url

Going to replace rotor and pads on driver side. They are very chewed up

I wanted to do the driver side to see if it would fix the problem. It didn't. So now I'm going to put the rotor and pads on the passenger side

BUT

I would never do one side without the other.
:dunno: :confused1

Lol I didn't mean for the question mark after I said sorry. Auto correct. I'm not a new york Italian gelled up Guido douchebag either rofl. And like I said I'm typing from my phone and in a rush. My friend has very large property I drove around real quick. I actually found the issue too....

Please. I'm not an idiot. Just been ran ragged the past couple of days. Now back to drilling out my passenger side lug lugnuts and studs..... O:)

Back