• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mottino Wash Trail Report...........we'll maybe

That was a great trail! I had a blast trying to keep up with you guys on 37" tires with my lttle 32's! We need to do this trail a few more times.

Yup, I believe you boys were right on track. I'm sure that's the trail. I've never run it, but it does interest me. I remember the group that went looking for it at SoCalFest. They came back less than happy, and I had a blast running the old reliable Gold Mountain.

At the AAT meeting, I asked the speaker if it was an actual trail (legal to run) and he said he wasn't sure, and that there was some debate over that. I'll keep my ear to the ground on this one, boys, and let you know if I find out anything groovy.

Nice pictures, too, by the way! :)

HMMMMMMMMMM - i remember a conversation/bitch session/war that says that CLEGHORN is NOT a numbered trail, therefore is off-limits to peeps. SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I'm WRONG. The same peeps tell me to shut the hell up over "a trail we never had", then go & run a trail "we don't have". THIS IS THE EPITOME OF 4WD INJUSTICE. DON'T let GERR see this post

Last edited:
HMMMMMMMMMM - i remember a conversation/bitch session/war that says that that is NOT a numbered trail, therefore is off-limits to peeps. SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I'm WRONG.

We passed a sign saying 'you are leaving Forrest Land' so I beleive it was on BLM land.

Cleghorn Rd. is a trail.

What most of us would consider the bypass is the trail itself.

According to the maps, everything that made Cleghorn worth the drive was considered a "bypass". Only the fun offshoots have been closed. the fire rd. itself remains open and passable.

HMMMMMMMMMM - i remember a conversation/bitch session/war that says that CLEGHORN is NOT a numbered trail, therefore is off-limits to peeps. SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I'm WRONG. The same peeps tell me to shut the hell up over "a trail we never had", then go & run a trail "we don't have". THIS IS THE EPITOME OF 4WD INJUSTICE. DON'T let GERR see this post

Get your panties out of a bunch. ;)

This is on BLM land, not forest service land. That doesn't mean its open, but we have found no evidince nor any law enforcement willing to say that it is not; and it runs between two open paths.

I realize you are really upset that you can no longer run some illegal offshoots that we've been telling you are illegal for years .. but drop this attitude. It will not acheive anything, and will make it that much harder for the rest of us to keep legitimate trails open..

...or do you really not care about keeping trails open, and just want to be selfish?

what a bunch of 2-faced bs. a trail is a trail. if it's numbered, it's ok. if it's NOT, its not okay to run. about a year ago u (cal) were totally against running mottino. i take total exception to your stance on this bs. it's ok if U WANNA run it, but ILLEGAL for others.

what a bunch of 2-faced bs. a trail is a trail. if it's numbered, it's ok. if it's NOT, its not okay to run. about a year ago u (cal) were totally against running mottino. i take total exception to your stance on this bs. it's ok if U WANNA run it, but ILLEGAL for others.

I was never against it, I said it required research. I called the SBNF and the BLM, rangers at both agencies were aware of the trail and neither was of the awareness that it was illegal. Good enough for me until I hear otherwise.

On the other hand, SBNF *has logged on to naxja and told us the cleghorn optional lines are illegal*.

That is a big difference. That's not being two faced.

Terry, take a valium.

The SoCal broncos list the trail on their website as an official run on their big bear event this past June. They have called it Sidewinder on their site.

http://www.socalbroncos.net/bbbb/trails.html

THAT makes it legal? cuz it was posted on an official NAXJA site? IS IT A NUMBERED TRAIL? SIMPLE YES OR NO WILL DO. I am only going by RULES that seem to apply to some, but not others

THAT makes it legal? cuz it was posted on an official NAXJA site? IS IT A NUMBERED TRAIL? SIMPLE YES OR NO WILL DO. I am only going by RULES that seem to apply to some, but not others

Terry, you need to calm down and start reading the things people are typing.

1) IT IS ON BLM LAND. THEY DO NOT NUMBER TRAILS - THAT IS A NATIONAL FOREST THING. Generally speaking anything BLM that is not in a closure zone (like bighorn sheep land) is open. This would be treated the same way Stoddard or Johnson Valley are treated. If this trail were on national forest land, it would be illegal to run it.

2) The site he linked is socalbronco's, not Naxja.

Is Sledgehammer, Clawhammer, Chocolate Thunder, Your Mother is a Whore, TackHammer, Jack Hammer, Wreckingball, Outer Limits, Resolution, Back Door, Hell's Gate, Aftershock, Sunbonnet, Full of Hate, Snow Ball or Full of Love numbered?

They are in the same BLM area and they have been posted here a million times.

DON'T ask me,ask the purvyeors of all that is good & saintly. ask cal & gerr. are those NUMBERED trails? sorry, it's BLM land. doesn't apply. Mottino applies, not BLM land, its owned by the sbnf.

DON'T ask me,ask the purvyeors of all that is good & saintly. ask cal & gerr. are those NUMBERED trails? sorry, it's BLM land. doesn't apply. Mottino applies, not BLM land, its owned by the sbnf.

It is not on SBNF land.

I have an e-mail from our favorite ranger contact saying that it is NOT on forest land. It is also mentioned that there some locals from BigBear that are trying to close it since it is open.

Dude, Its not. You pass signs "NOW LEAVING SBNF", and the SBNF has stated it is not on their land.

Greg Hoffman said:
Sent: Sunday, September 06, 2009 6:52 AM
To: Cal Tuttle
Subject: Re: 'mottino wash'

Hi Cal. I know the scuttle butt is spreading quickly. However, all I am certain about is that it is not on forest land. Not sure if it is in Bighorn Wilderness or ?

I do know a local from Big Bear that is hell bent on getting it closed. Sorry I couldn't provide more information.

Take care Cal,

Greg.

There it is from SBNF ranger Greg Hoffman, who deals with Naxja and the adopt-a-trail program. Mottino is not part of the national forest.

I couldnt get an email reply from BLM, so I started making phone calls. Two seperate rangers have told me that to the best of their knowledge it is not in a closure - that was good enough due dillegence for me. This took place after you and I talked about Mottino, more than a year ago, where I had said it requires looking into.

See Terry, a lot of off-roaders instead of assuming the fact they were in the military (which btw, I as an american thank you for) means they can drive any damn place they want, even after being told its not. I *KNEW* the cleghorn offshoots had been closed because I did the research. You *knew* because I told you, and you were always welcome to do the research yourself.

Last edited:
Back