• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More overheating.. Cont. from last summer

Oh and BTW, I pulled the head and changed the head gasket, not that I need to, every thing looked good. While the head was off, I had my machinist magnaflux and do a valve job.....to no avail.

Dan, I don't think the extra weight would cause the severe overheating problems you have. I had same problems and now that they are fixed, I am able to tow my 3800# boat and fishing/hunting gear in 100* temps w/no problems. My fix was a new 1-row aluminum radiator and a fixed fan spacer to replace the fan clutch.

Dont mean to HiJack the thread, but with all this talk of over heating I thought I coule interject a question my self. I have a 90 4.0, runs about 210 on the road and off, but at eh same time my idiot temp light is on and wont go off. temp stays steady around 205-210. The idiot light comes on at different temps on the gauge witch is ported into the T-Stat houseing after the stat (which is new as well). The gauge is only a couple of months old and it is an autometer, so I have a hard time believing my gauge is bad, but the light is bugging me.
Is the switch for the light bad? and is it the one on the rear left of the cylinder head?

Planetcat said:
Dan, I don't think the extra weight would cause the severe overheating problems you have. I had same problems and now that they are fixed, I am able to tow my 3800# boat and fishing/hunting gear in 100* temps w/no problems. My fix was a new 1-row aluminum radiator and a fixed fan spacer to replace the fan clutch.

I tried the fan clutch eliminator, didn't care for it. It felt like I was dragging an anchor, not to mention the noise. At 65 mph, I don't think the fan does a whole lot anyway, because of the ram air effect. I'm leaning towards fuel mixture....pun intended.

Dan

Ok, now he drilled the whole on which side of the cat, closest to your engine or closer to the back... beucase if it's closer to your engine than the cat mightbe stoppiong exhaust flow... and casuing you to over heat... Replace your temp sender, beacsue it could just be reading wrong... Or, check it manually...

Last edited:
devile said:
Ok, now he drilled the whole on which side of the cat, closest to your engine or closer to the back... beucase if it's closer to your engine than the cat mightbe stoppiong exhaust flow... and casuing you to over heat... Replace your temp sender, beacsue it could just be reading wrong... Or, check it manually...

Drilled hole before the cat. If the cat is plugged, this is where the back pressure would be. I have replaced the temp sender, and also have a manual gauge installed. Both gauges read the same.

Were you able to purchase an OEM hose from the dealer? I'm fighting the same problem. Just took out the old radiator, putting in a two row Modine. My dealer told me they can't order a lower hose!

Back