• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

money, money, money, money!!!

92jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a check handed to me for $920 for an accident my Jeep was involved in Friday. Nothing but afew scratches to the front of my Jeep. Thank god for my ARB Bull Bar. Poor 4runner though. Hehehe. anyways, I am now looking to spend some of that on a new rear bumper and spare tire carrier. What are the pros and cons to diffrent makes and models. I want it to have like the factory bumper, how the bumper caps filled in the gap under the taillight. I like the tomken because it fills it in nicely. Let me know what all of you think. I will be purchasing a 33 inch spare as well, so I need a bumper and tire carrier to hold it. Thanks for any help.
Tylor

Just ordered the Wilderness rear bumper with tire carrier from the Quadratech catalog..leaving off the shovel/axe add ons..that'll go up top. Heh..wait a month, and if you see me show up in the 'worst mods' discussion thread, don't get it..otherwise..I've heard it doesn't rattle as much as others, but I don't know for sure, obviously.

Why buy.....

when you can build. Drop that cash on a welder and fab one yourself.

Exactly, I made mine for 35 bones. I adapted my stock spare tire carrier to it, and it only took about 3 hours to fab. I would post a pic but I'm over my bandwidth:rolleyes:

problem is, I am 20 and can't build. So, I don't mind spending the money if it is handed to me. I like the one from BPI. Anyone use it yet? What do you think? How is the latch system? Keep the info coming please. Thanks
Tylor

Umm,

Do you have skids underneath?

Does your gearing match your tires? Maybe a re-gear?

Any mechanical problems to deal with? Good tune up?

Food for thought.

John

Three words:

welder, welder, welder.

You can get a Hobart 175 to your door for under $600 bones. Once you have it, you'll realize that every Jeep should leave the lot with a welder in the back as standard equipment.

CRASH

CW. said:
Exactly, I made mine for 35 bones. I adapted my stock spare tire carrier to it, and it only took about 3 hours to fab. I would post a pic but I'm over my bandwidth:rolleyes:

Im 17, and didn't have clue how to weld when I decided to build mine. I just got a little buzz box and started practicing. The beads wont be the best looking but it doesn't really matter, you could always clean them up with a grinder. If you do a bunch of stuff yourself that money will go a lot farther than you realize.

CRASH said:
Three words:

welder, welder, welder.

You can get a Hobart 175 to your door for under $600 bones. Once you have it, you'll realize that every Jeep should leave the lot with a welder in the back as standard equipment.

CRASH
4 for me
welder,welder,welder, and welder

Okay, a regear is possible, but I would rather have a new bumper on the back. No mechanical problems to date, but I don't know what will happen when I go start it in a minute, but I also don't have the time right now to play around with the welder and build stuff at the moment. I have the money and want to spend it. The other problem is that I have been in 3 accidents in 3 weeks, none of which were my fault, but I need to have some protection on the rear. And I would like to carry a full size spare with me when I go. I would do a roof rack but that is alot of wieght on the top and I wouldn't have anywhere for my surfboards. Does any of this make sense? I have the money and want to spend it on a bumper. I guess I am just wanting to know what any of you think about them. I saw the Moab dvd, so I know afew of you have these things, so, please come forth with what you think about them. Thanks
Tylor

Well, I just ordered the bumper and tire carrier from custom4x4. It should be here in 3 weeks!! Thanks for the links and everything. Now, I have to ask for everyone that has the bumper and tire carrier, how have you relocated your liscence plate? Let me see some pics of it and how you've run the little light too. Any help for that would be appreciated. I won't know for sure how it is gonna work on my end until the systemgets here. So, in the mean time, any help is appreicated. Thanks again guys,
Tylor

okay, I will say this. I got my rear bumper trashed in one of the accidents, and I have been wanting to carry a full size spare withme and not in the jeep. My jeep in 4 low can pull through anything right now. But, about what is a rough total for a re-gear? I have the chrysler 8 rear end and dana 30 up front. I live in Florida so it is more of a woods trail truck than a rock crawler or mud truck. I am running the RE 5.5 extreme duty and 2 inches of spacers on the front. I have 33x10.50's on there. If you don't mind, please give me a total cause the bumper and carrier came to $560 and the check was for $960, so I still have $400 to play with. I know a rear gear is alot more, but I am just curious. Thanks for any reply
Tylor

Rough total for an install 'round these parts is $150-$200 per axle. Most gearsets cost about $125-175 per axle.

This brings our very approximate total to somewhere in the $650 to $800 range. Parts only would be between $250 and $350.

Jared

BTW - A regear is great. The engine has a LOT more control over the speed of the vehicle on and off the trail. Freeways no longer work the engine to death while trying to rotate those big heavy swampers. I swapped in a complete axles out of an '86 MJ. Cost me $300 for both axles and took me about 6 hours to install them. You could find the same setup on an earlier XJ. Look for the 4-cylinder with 4.10's. The XJ axle swap is easier because it is literally a direct bolt in. The MJ rear axle needs some cutting and welding to move the spring perches and install shome shock mounts.

$800 being tops? I am going to look into that. Esspecially if it will allow me to go over 60mph without the automatic shifting every 5 seconds. Thanks alot man. I will look around now. This brings the question, who has a good regear kit? I will be having it installed cause I don't know the first thing about the gears except takin goff the diff cover to clean and change the oil. Let me know who you all have used. I got a Chrysler 8.25 on the back and a dana 30 up front. Thanks again all.
Tylor

DeadEyeJ said:
Rough total for an install 'round these parts is $150-$200 per axle. Most gearsets cost about $125-175 per axle.

This brings our very approximate total to somewhere in the $650 to $800 range. Parts only would be between $250 and $350.

$650 to $800 range? not in these parts! around here the cheapest estimate i could get was $1200. it cost me less than half of that just to swap in a hp d30 out of a 4 banger xj (4.10's)and an 8.8 out of an exploder (also 4.10's). if you're sticking to 33's, 4.10's will put you back to stock overall ratio. i'd definitely go this route over regearing my stock axles (unless you want lower gears.)

matthew

DC4WD

Do a search for DC 4 Wheel Drive or look on Jeeps Unlimited for user name "Jeep39". I was able to get a good deal on some new parts through this person. Beware, I have found that the Chyrsler 8.25 parts are a little expensive. Regearing can get expensive too as the parts start to add up, and you decide you have to have those lockers/limited slip differentials now too.

I ended up spending a little over $1200 after all was said and done and feel that I got a good deal on the installation.

Kevin

Back