• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mold and black Mold....

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Anyone have any first hand experience with a mold problem or a black mold problem? Any of you builders or construction types had to deal with it?

I've killed a mold issue dead with a strong mix of bleach and scalding hot water. It was probably a good 40% bleach and 60% water as hot as my water heater will get it.

Thick gloves, a scrub brush, and a respirator and it all came right off the wall and hasn't come back. I also took a core sample of the wall and there was not mold on the backside.

This was dealing with plaster. You may need to be more cautious with the water if you have drywall.

Bleach should kill any mold, no? Of course, if it's bad, you'll probably have to replace the drywall if that's what you have.

I have no notable experience dealing with dangerous molds, but I know that most are harmless unless you have an allergy to molds. GSequoia is correct in dealing with it and smart to gage the depth. If it is embedded in drywall, but still near the surface, you may try saturating the drywall with your solution and then seal it with a Kilz product.

Bleach should kill any mold, no? Of course, if it's bad, you'll probably have to replace the drywall if that's what you have.

Actually no. In my research I am finding just the opposit. Especially the black stuff that is so harmful.

black mold is very bad for your health. usually the infected area must be torn out and replaced. i wouldnt suggest wetting the drywall it will just make i worse. what exactly is molded? you didnt specify in your op. if the mold is really bad then you have to just reeplace it. if its just a little suface mold in your shower or bathroom ( which is very common) then just scrub with bleach. if it is the nasty black stuff then call a professional. you dont want to mess with mold spores. they can make you sick.

Just curious. The house I'm renting has some stuff on the wood under the sink.

There is a professional grade product that will do a pretty good job of killing the mold. I can't remember the name but I got it a local contractor supply. I had a bad mold problem in my master bath due to a leaking pipe behind the wall. I gutted the room and sprayed down all the remaining wood with the product. Within 2 days it had all cleared up and didn't come back. That room remained gutted for 2 years and the mold never came back.
Bleach won't get the hardcore mold. It just kinda pisses it off. :)

Bleach won't get the hardcore mold. It just kinda pisses it off. :)

Yea this is what I have been reading. But you kow how the net is.... not sure what is fact and what is fiction.

we had what I thought was "black mold" in a house we bought, well I had it tested and it was just a good old fashion mold. I scrapped it off and used a anti mold primer paint. Everyone I talked to said not to use bleach as it was worse for my health than the mold.

Something like this will work pretty good. This isn't the exact product I used but it is close.

Home Depot

Back