• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mid bushwacker install

I'm sure alot of us running bushwackers got roped into the bushwacker deal by the "easy" instructions they give ya. Fortunately Jason Jeepers site is a top hit on google (and for good reason) so I able to get an idea of what I was getting into.
Funny how things happen. Got 33" tires. Went out had really bad body rub at the tire eating it at full flex. Thus the flares. :flipoff: front, :shiver: rear install.

Thanks for the idea of being able remove them. Have not yet stripped the provided self tappers out yet, but now the nutserts sound really good. I could drop my lift about an 1", lower my center of gravity, remove then and keep them expensive bushwackers looking good.

ladywolf said:
LOL.

I'm not a big fan of mud, i prefer rocks and dirt (i hate cleaning mud off of everything)

as much as i love the look of bushwackers, not crazy on the amount of install time.
dont waste your money on them. the last two trips i have been on i have seen two people crack them. 300$ can be better spent elsewhere. plus you can get more room by going either flareless or tj flares.

thats what i was thinkin...however WA fender laws are picky, and i dont like the local law enforcement pullin me over every chance they get

x2 on that. After putting the bigger tires on and cutting the flares I had the local sherriff's all of a sudden staring at me when I encountered them. I've had plenty of friends as well as myself pulled over and harrassed in the years I've lived here. Sometimes at the worst time. The stares and glares and being followed stopped after I put them on.

one of my friends kept gettin pulled over at least 4-8 times a year for no mudflaps on his fullsize blazer...i want to avoid that hassle.

and if i end up moving, its easier to stay legal if i keep the wheels neatly tucked under some sort of fender to avoid the local law enforcement.

plus if i ever become law enforcement, how can i legally uphold the law, if my rigs dont? kind of a screwed if ya do, screwed if ya dont deal

Nothing worse than becoming a regular target for the local law enforcement. Had one of my good friend's who is a little stuborn give up the dark limo window tint after warnings and finally getting the ticket. And yes I agree setting a good example is my motto too. Although this wasn't alway so for me. I guess this make me like my friend. LOL

We (XJoachim and me) have done the installation last saturday - like you guys said - a major PITA! Having some cold ones handy won´t be a bad idea!

We cutted the pinch seam like Jason and folded the fender in with a BFH. We replaced all the screws with metric ones (which are more common over here) made from stainless steels and put also put nuts and additional washers on. We had to cut away some of the inner parts of the BWs to fit them properly.

But I think they´re worth the hassle, they clear my 35s nice and look good (I think...)
bg044.jpg

bg043.jpg

eh, the main reason I purchased them was to minimize cleaning time. Last few times I've had to clean my jeep in freezing weather really made me reconsider purchasing bushwackers

blue gerbil your jeep looks amazing! I may end up waiting a while to install the rears, I have a cousin thats very familiar with welding so I may have him help me out on it whn our schedules agree

Bushwackers and big tires, a match made in heaven. Just gotta go through a little hell to get there. Give that cousin a call, you got a good plan of attack now. Don't be discouraged. When you all done yours will look as sweet as BlueGerbil's XJ does.

BlueGerbil, your Jeep looks fantastic. Is that a Kaymar rear bumper?

For the rear flares, I wouldn't recommend cutting out the flares as much as I did in my install write-up. If I was doing it again I'd only cut there the flares and the body interefered, which is really only around the lower half of the flare.

Also, take your time and mark the holes very carefully and double or triple check the holes before you drill them. I've got a few "extra" holes in my door and rear quarter panel where I didn't get the hole quite in the right spot on the first try... :doh:

OK some pics for you...
And i would have to 2nd what Jason is saying above about cutting away only the amounts of the flare that come into contact... cut away a little at a time and use a sharpee to mark the areas that need trimming..
I got lazy or annoyed and ended up cutting way to much off of the second set of flares on the back..
anyway here are some pics..

whole rear you can see how much is left on the right
x1p4JHjVbcjTC9wqqq_cVVxk7zJV21bf0efodz76E0bdClGQhs1VXfaqIachi1vs-eD3V-kly7z1hCl4P_DYoy0oe68QGwGVYVtzqsAgFbLf7giM0VkOyu_PZMg6ZMQGWsG2xrePzUXSc9A2S6djTkimQ

door side of reaf flare you can see the vertical cuts and the hammer over.. plus the black primer i used...
x1p4JHjVbcjTC9wqqq_cVVxk7zJV21bf0efodz76E0bdCm2bnU9oXpp_Mgzv7DMPLMmFcnfE5hJ2W0R1VVulcapqMvYjn53TyuGWmKjbVFykiLAIDTJva4a2BAoR9EE-KTyyK9rE_7KpgBrprc0INsLAw

closerr up of the above

x1pUr2osLO3XWiv91_3U7wTAuwtlNfzeZkhgKhMuSYTBoRuoKT8cEWXhattlzaVUSAdUU0VKEyVXtJo82MiC4c2wPLYK7Un2xFrEVrDCpX7Ktkt-cOp4TLpRxrKrsAdlV0ornzu6MGd3PE

Straight on of the rear [sorry i didnt rotate it!]

x1pUr2osLO3XWiv91_3U7wTAqt72nX6S2I1lVmZw-Fj15nsQJxr2XtN1N0BRYZw55aR4PgU3l_N8vtceMM5Z7gq1fVkOrON2SHtCF9xSF-Fb6jzH0SgFY-3eZENOhtSuls9yJ9mELJL6fM

then closer and slightly angled

x1pUr2osLO3XWiv91_3U7wTAkCM1jMrkom64RJeNnF4UeffnO6-adDvqccksMCa521jn_2RDhU3KJ5UGJ-hJz8N4xP6O0RAwk0B_avNvoXpN9sh9Dyq-cM926-6HlPkbA9KShkr4r0XZhA

Whole shot for posterity in a field by my house in suburbia
x1pUr2osLO3XWiv91_3U7wTAuP8bIggo1-acWER81O-N43FTvZdu_pDWTbkxOqxwmQx9vnYm-Rjt8YPPv2ElWiM_wQI0VBlKt0wMZP1jddl4r2OSKdUablwSVDKF_EgFeUZ4WTpFBv9RCI

front stuffin it in suburbia LOL
x1pUr2osLO3XWiv91_3U7wTAgXIVIChImsXIv6GKCXV9TSmBgPgyPb7bdpra6si13vR3xGckEvfMAssS_mI6CENSdEzuAiPf2KtCT0J7bpIoL9hu8JLaBX53dnamO3o77Rx

Anyways sorry for the lame "in the field poser shots" but im about to put my D44 under neath and have some fun this summer, then i will take some real pics

BlueGerbil: Awesome Awesome Ride... Love it!!!

Aaron

BlueGerbil said:
Yep, thats a Kaymar bumper w/ tire carrier, worklights, jerry can carrier and a shakle mount for the hitch. Works with the factory tank skid.
Jan, I see you got the gerry can swing out mounted on your Kaymar. Looks good! :D Someday I'm going to add the worklight to mine.

Sent you a PM.

Back