• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mechanics in/near Kingston NY?

GauchoMD

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, I just recently moved to Kingston NY from Calfornia and my check engine light came on in my 99 Cherokee... Does anyone know of any good mechanics near me or have a diagnostic thingy they can help me with? I would be eternally grateful!

Jason

just grab a scantool from an advance or autozone and see what the problem is first.

oh, terribly sorry about the move. i'm sure you love the humidity.

With a '99 you should be an OBDII... Quadratec sells a reader for $69.99 which should come in handy on more than one occasion. I read on some other posts earlier that some stores will let you hook your vehicle up to their code readers for free so that you can figure out what parts you need. Haven't tried that myself yet though.

Got it read, said it was an O2 sensor, Block 1 Sensor 2... they said it was the one behind the cat. I changed it and the light is still on. Does it clear itself right away? Eventually? Do I have to have it cleared? Thanks!

Got it read, said it was an O2 sensor, Block 1 Sensor 2... they said it was the one behind the cat. I changed it and the light is still on. Does it clear itself right away? Eventually? Do I have to have it cleared? Thanks!

It doesn't clear right away, but it will eventually clear on its own. If you disconnect the battery, that will clear it right away.

A.

I picked up a scangauge II for like $120 on thinkgeek when I needed a code reader... I've been wanting one for years and it does way more than just read codes, so I figured at this point I might as well.

On a 99 I'm fairly certain they got that right, you can either use the code reader to clear the codes or disconnect the battery or just wait. If you need to do this to pass inspection, remember that some states won't pass you till you have 100-150 miles on the odo since your last battery disconnect or code clear, friend of mine with a ZJ ran into that after we replaced one of his O2 sensors.

Back